Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best graphics card for under 150 Euro

Options
  • 31-10-2009 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Need to update my desktop. It has a PCI-express slot so want to get a new graphics card. Been looking on Komplett but theres so much choice!

Just need pointing in the right direction! :D

Thanks,
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

My Sapphire 4870 is 150 on Komplett atm.

Best graphics card ever for price and power. Was 230 when i got it earlier this year and plays every game on high/very high (granted decent Cpu and ****load of ram help)

What CPU and ram have you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

dreamers75 wrote: »
    My Sapphire 4870 is 150 on Komplett atm.

Best graphics card ever for price and power. Was 230 when i got it earlier this year and plays every game on high/very high (granted decent Cpu and ****load of ram help)

What CPU and ram have you got?

Also,what PSU do you have,thats very important

As suggested above,4870's are great but how much do you have to spend ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

The psu You got is going to dictate which card You can go for. As dreamers75 said, the 4870 is great value atm, but needs a good psu. Also what case have You got?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

We also need to know what games you'll be playing and what the resolution of your screen is.

We need to know what type of case you have, so we can tell if the card will fit.

Finally we need to know what type of power supply you have. The 4870 is very power hungry.

Here's the 4870 512mb for less than €120 delivered http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169206

Here's what you prob will end up getting(4770), http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173741 for less than €95 delivered!

It's a low power, low heat, medium performance card great for resolutions less than 1080.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭BRM

Im after a new card for my Dimension 5150, the PSU looks fairly bulky so im not sure what my limitations are.

Im looking for something around 75-150 euro with HDMI and VGA output at the least, I’ve read some of the cards that link audio on the HDMI can suffer from delayed audio, the main reason to upgrade for me is for watching HD TV/Movies on my new LED TV and Im trying to cut down on cables so if the HDMI can handle audio it would be one less cable, playing games isn’t really a priority but Id like to think it could be done also.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

BRM wrote: »
    Im after a new card for my Dimension 5150, the PSU looks fairly bulky so im not sure what my limitations are.

Im looking for something around 75-150 euro with HDMI and VGA output at the least, I’ve read some of the cards that link audio on the HDMI can suffer from delayed audio, the main reason to upgrade for me is for watching HD TV/Movies on my new LED TV and Im trying to cut down on cables so if the HDMI can handle audio it would be one less cable, playing games isn’t really a priority but Id like to think it could be done also.

The 4670 doesnt require power, may be your only decent choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Looks like a 305w PSU. So says dell.us anyway. 4770 would run on that wouldn't it?

Well if you want a card that'll play hd video then you will only have to spend around €25

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=434120

This supports audio over hdmi, passive cooling (silent), but... it will not play games(anything graphically intense anyway)!

It's as simple as just plugging this into the slot, install the drivers and off it goes.

If you still decide to go for a gpu capable of playing games at full hd, then you might run into problems with your psu and maybe even with the poor cooling of your case(cards 80+degrees) and the gpu may not even fit into the case to start with!

It's up to you

Looks like a 305w PSU. So says dell.us anyway. 4770 would run on that wouldn't it?

It's hard to know, Psu's rated at certain wattages may not actually be capable of what it's supposed to be...

• Advertisement

Effluo wrote: »
    the gpu may not even fit into the case to start with!

Yeah that’s my main concern, paying 150+ on a high end card – it may not fit even if the power is there.

I recon the 4670 will be adequate for what I need, Its about 60 quid and has both HDMI and VGA, my only concern is the audio but I guess ill just have to see how it runs.

I see some of the 4670s are fridge cooled, nice and quiet but how do these units perform usually?

http://www.guru3d.com/article/ati-radeon-hd-4670-review/4

take a look yourself,

These also support audio over hdmi.

Tough to know though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

I've got a Dell precision 370, with about 2Gbs of Ram.

Thanks for the help so far!

Inismic what will you be doing with your pc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

Effluo wrote: »
    Finally we need to know what type of power supply you have. The 4870 is very power hungry.

The 4870 isn't all that power hungry at all (relatively speaking), only about 40w more than my old 1950pro. I think the requirements bar is raised to avoid crap PSUs. I'm only running off a 400w PSU and the draw from the wall never exceeds 200w, but of course not all PSUs are made the same.

D.

dazberry wrote: »
    The 4870 isn't all that power hungry at all (relatively speaking),

Relative to other gpu's on the market today in it's bracket it is quite power hungry. 40 watts is quite a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

I'll be just using it for work - programming - and some gaming (just got a copy of Left for Dead)....

Also, I'd prefer to be able to use two monitors. Very handy for work.

M

dreamers75 wrote: »
    The 4670 doesnt require power, may be your only decent choice.

It says on the sapphire website the 4670 needs 400W power? Am I goosed here running it on my Dimension 5150?

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?psn=000101&pid=205

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I bought a 4890 today and some new ram, but i'm not sure if my power supply is up to scratch. Is a 500W PSU good enough to run a 4890 Vapor-X graphics card?

BRM wrote: »
    It says on the sapphire website the 4670 needs 400W power? Am I goosed here running it on my Dimension 5150?

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?psn=000101&pid=205

BRM
    They put crazy wattages for recommended...

This i think is due to the fact that you can get a cheap 600w psu for like €30 in some places, which really should be rated something closer to 300w + will be dog efficient!

Kiith
    What psu do you have? The 4890 will prob be fine

Inismac
    I'm not quite sure if you need a low profile card or not but the 4670 seems to do fine with l4d http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1011/9/ at lower resolutions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

What are the chances of the 4870 or 4890 dropping in price before Christmas? I've got 130 quid left on a 3v voucher and I'm not sure what to get to make the most of it. 130 won't cover a 4870 from Komplett including delivery at the moment but it would cover this :

How much better is the 4870 than the 5570? I've got a 520w PSU and I use a 19" monitor.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169206 the 4870 512mb is just under €120 delivered from here,

I don't think the price of any ATI gpu will go down until the new year when Nvidia finally get their new cards out! The price of 5870's and 5850's has actually gone up "due to increase in demand"

I wouldn't keep my hopes up for the prices to fall, but if you don't mind waiting then there's no harm...

The 4870 would be fantastic for your 19" monitor either way

Thanks, that is a good price although I'd rather the 1GB version. If I can find a 1GB 4870 for 130 or under delivered soon I'll probably snap it up.

Edit: A HDMI output is also something I'd like, bought a new 32" Samsung recently and like the idea of hooking it via HDMI, even if the max resolution it supports is 1366 x 768 (it's not 1080)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Den_M wrote: »
    Thanks, that is a good price although I'd rather the 1GB version. If I can find a 1GB 4870 for 130 or under delivered soon I'll probably snap it up.

Edit: A HDMI output is also something I'd like, bought a new 32" Samsung recently and like the idea of hooking it via HDMI, even if the max resolution it supports is 1366 x 768 (it's not 1080)
    At the resolutions you are playing at, the extra memory on the 1gb version won't matter much if at all. The 1GB will make a big difference at full hd but not much below that.

All gpus today come with converters for hdmi and vga or otherwise(depending on what type of slot the card has).

On ATI cards sound over hdmi will also be supported this way, so do not worry about the connection. I'd go along with the Almighty on the vram too

I doubt you will find better value for money than the 4870 512mb

I can get this 512MB 4870 from Komplett for 124 quid delivered:

Powercolor 4870

Good deal I guess? My monitors max resolution is 1280*1024 so yeah a 1GB would be silly I suppose.

Well it's the same card as the one that i linked to on ebuyer, So i guess it's buyers preference if you wanna buy from komplett that have had consumer issues or you wanna buy for a tenner less from ebuyer that have had consumer issues.

You need to find out what type of power supply you have, this is very important as the 4870 is quite tough relative to other gpu's.

Don't fret if your psu isn't a brand name though as for your resolution there's one great low powered and priced card which would perform really well too!

the 4770
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173741

I thought Komplett would be a bit easier since they have a location in Ireland and I've bought from them before without any issues. I read on another thread on boards that buying from Ebuyer can be a bit finnicky regarding delivery and acceptance of Irish credit cards. I think it works out as about the same anyway once you add on Ebuyers delivery and convert from UK to Euro.

I've got a 520w PSU which should be fine I'd imagine.

Thanks for the help Effluo. :)

What's the exact make of the psu?

This is very important

• Advertisement

It's a Trust Power Master 520W Pro

I learnt afterwards that Trust aren't necessarily the best out there...

Do you think it'll run it without problems? I have't had any issues with the PSU so far. My current GFX card is a x1950 Pro 256MB

Advertisement