Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best graphics card for under 150 Euro

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭BRM

I got the sapphire 4670 this week and its doing the business with the HDMI output and Ive started playing COD Modern Warfare 2 now and its great on the big TV screen!

Im having a bit of trouble with the card when playing full screen Flash media. I watch the NFL and NBA on line on the official websites but when I view full screen the stream hangs. This doesn’t happen with the on board card when viewing the same media. Has anyone had these problems with flash media when viewing full screen?

Its working fine when I leave it in the normal player size but when I change it to full screen after about 10 mins the media hangs and I have to go back to the normal size to continue watching.

There must be a plug-in or an option I can change to stop this from happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Den_M wrote: »
    It's a Trust Power Master 520W Pro

I learnt afterwards that Trust aren't necessarily the best out there...

Do you think it'll run it without problems? I have't had any issues with the PSU so far. My current GFX card is a x1950 Pro 256MB
    Its enough wattage to try, at least. If it goes wonky it will go wonky when it tries to deliver high output. Which would just mean no heavy gaming until you can swap out the PSU. It would probably run the card well for most stuff (if not all stuff)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Den_M wrote: »
    It's a Trust Power Master 520W Pro

I learnt afterwards that Trust aren't necessarily the best out there...

Do you think it'll run it without problems? I have't had any issues with the PSU so far. My current GFX card is a x1950 Pro 256MB

Best card around for that price would be the HD4890. A good 400W branded PSU would be enough to run it. Trust would not be a very highly rated PSU brand but on balance I think that it should be ok (No promises)

What resolution do you normally game at, you may not even need to spend that much?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

BRM wrote: »
    I got the sapphire 4670 this week and its doing the business with the HDMI output and Ive started playing COD Modern Warfare 2 now and its great on the big TV screen!

Im having a bit of trouble with the card when playing full screen Flash media. I watch the NFL and NBA on line on the official websites but when I view full screen the stream hangs. This doesn’t happen with the on board card when viewing the same media. Has anyone had these problems with flash media when viewing full screen?

Its working fine when I leave it in the normal player size but when I change it to full screen after about 10 mins the media hangs and I have to go back to the normal size to continue watching.

There must be a plug-in or an option I can change to stop this from happening?

Stage one would be make sure you have the latest ATI catalyst drivers and Flash player .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

marco_polo wrote: »
    Best card around for that price would be the HD4890. A good 400W branded PSU would be enough to run it. Trust would not be a very highly rated PSU brand but on balance I think that it should be ok (No promises)

What resolution do you normally game at, you may not even need to spend that much?
    Nah, Nvidia 260 216SP is a better choice for the following reasons:
    1. better drivers
    2. better game configuration( wish ATI would do profiles )
    3. Physx supports( ok only a few games use it but batman and Mirrors edge look better with it )
    4. Supports AA in batman( its yuck without AA )
    5. ATI Drivers suck, 4 months for a fix for FPS in NFS Shift, 3 months after 58x0 series cards are released and they still havnt fixed dual monitor screen flickering due to the 2D clocks being too low.

Im not Nvidia fanboy, but all around they have much much better drivers and you get no real surprises with their cards, i.e. games coming out that should run great but run like crap.

Oh and im running an ATI card at the mo( and an 8800GT for physx ), and have had 3 ATI cards and 3 nvidia cards along the way, so im trying to be as unbiased as possible :)

• Advertisement

D'oh this thread was dead for a month, bit late for advice for the OP :D

marco_polo wrote: »
    D'oh this thread was dead for a month, bit late for advice for the OP :D
    haha, im as bad as yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

The 5770 is lower in performance than the 4890. The 5770 performs around about a 4870 card. However, it has DX11, is much cooler and quieter. If your'e gaming at 1680*1050, get a 5770 (it will be sufficient) - otherwise go for the 4890 if you don't care about the temps or power consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

I've got a Toshiba laptop. 3GB of RAM. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5550 @1.83 GHz. 32-bit Operating System. Vista, but hope to be upgrading to Windows 7 in the next few weeks. 250GB hard drive with 109GB free.

What video card would be best for me? I want to get Dragon Age Origins

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

This should probably be posted in the bargain alerts....

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-144-XF

• Advertisement

Demonique wrote: »
    I've got a Toshiba laptop. 3GB of RAM. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5550 @1.83 GHz. 32-bit Operating System. Vista, but hope to be upgrading to Windows 7 in the next few weeks. 250GB hard drive with 109GB free.

What video card would be best for me? I want to get Dragon Age Origins
    you have a laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

lmimmfn wrote: »
    you have a laptop

Yeah, and your point is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Demonique wrote: »
    Yeah, and your point is?

You can't upgrade the gfx card in a laptop 99.9999999% of the time....... *

Gaming on laptops is an epic fail in general unless you are playing older gamings they are not very graphically intensive.
    If you want to play dragon age you are buying a console... or a new desktop pc....

*(except in very very very rare situations (ruby rocking horse shoite situations) where the manufacturer has used a modular gfx card in the making of the laptop, only on very expensive high end gaming laptops.)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

hmmm some toshiba laptops can be upgraded. some have spare mxm slots. though you could be paying 200 euro for whats essentially a 90 euro desktop graphics card.

whats the exact model of the laptop?

Advertisement