Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SE C905 photo zoom

• 31-10-2009 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭

I have a Sony Ericsson c905, and I love it. There is one issue though.When I take a picture I can zoom right in on the image on the phone and it's very clear. Though when I try to zoom in on the image on my laptop it just becomes pixellated. It means I can't zoom in/ crop images (which I would need to do sometimes since there is no effective zoom on the camera).

Does anyone know if this is a setting issue, or a compression issue? Any advice would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

I presume its because the phones screen is smaller than your laptop so automatically you presume the photo you took looks nice and clear since its on the smaller screen, but when actually uploaded to the laptop you see what the camera really is like. Doesn't seem like a problem to me, has happened plenty of times over many phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Medievalist

Not so much a problem. I get really clear and sharp photos from it. I use it as my sole camera a lot of the time. There just seems to be a slight loss of data/ clarity when it's transfered off the phone. It probably is just different screen sizes alright :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I think what is happening is that the individual pixel size/pitch on the small phone screen is smaller than on the laptop, so detail at a given amount of zoom looks sharper because it is smaller.

Photos taken with the C905 suffer from terrible compression and noise processing artifacts. Viewed at normal resolution the photos look great, but it is a sort of optical illusion. As soon as you zoom in even a little, the underlying lack of detail becomes all too apparent and you suddenly find out there is very little actual detail in the images, just blocky blurred smudges. Given the sensor is 8MP, there should be plenty of detail, but there isn't.

Before I had the C905 I had a SE K750i, which had a terrific 2MP camera.

Yea, I'm a bit disappointed by the image quality. I love the rest of the phone though, and the camera is perfect for general shots. I've been on holidays when the only camera I've used was the one on the phone and they all turned out grand. Just a pity when sometimes I want to zoom in.

Some day, there will be the perfect camera phone;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Yea, I'm a bit disappointed by the image quality. I love the rest of the phone though, and the camera is perfect for general shots. I've been on holidays when the only camera I've used was the one on the phone and they all turned out grand. Just a pity when sometimes I want to zoom in.

Some day, there will be the perfect camera phone;)

I was so dissapointed I sold the C905 and bought a Samsung Jet which has a 5MP sensor. It takes much better photos and when you zoom in there is the expected detail.

The clue is in the file sizes. The C905 with an 8MP sensor, on highest detail settings produces jpg file sizes of 2.1 mb on average. The Jet with a 5MP sensor produces file sizes of 2 MB on average.

I think SE didn't put a powerful enough processor in the C905 given how much work there is to do with a 8MP sensor. It has a 169mhz processor. The Jet has a 800mhz processor, which I think is why it can shoot 720x480 30fps video and edit it on the phone :)

Here is the detail you get on the C905 when you zoom in to the pixel level - where one phone pixel is shown on one screen pixel:

C905detail.jpg

Here is the detail in a Jet photo with the same amount of zoom:

Jet3detail.jpg

The SE seems to average adjacent pixels so large areas are near featureless and you end up with a blocky appearance and an ovreall blurred look.

Sorry, I am not trying to Dis your phone, just I am annoyed at SE because after the K750i I was expecting something really good and felt let down.

The SE has a much better OS than the Jet, so it has really nice feature and is easier to use. I wish I had a Jet with the SE OS. WiFi on the C905 is much better than the Jet.

As you said, maybe one day ther will be a perfect camera phone :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I agree with you. If it was just the camera I was buying a phone for, I'd be very annoyed. SE had such a great opportunity to make this an amazing phone, and I'm pretty sure they have the technology just a lack of design. I do, however, love the rest of the phone features. It runs really nicely, and the calendar/ organiser is my favourite out of all the brands. Overall, it's just a really nice phone.

I'll be sticking with SE, just hope the next phone they bring out has a better camera. I am very tempted by Jet though! Have heard some great things about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Whats so great about the calendar/organiser? I moved away from SE to get a better calendar/organiser on the Nokia E71, though I don't like the phone, it has a better calendar/organiser still not as good as the old Palm though. The SE one is the same on all the phones.

I nearly bought a 905 to replace my W810i, but I didn't like the camera cover, seemed filmsy, as did the rest of the phone and theres lots of reports of faults with the phone. But I'm still temped as the camera on the E71 is dire.

I just really like the set up of the organiser. I use it a lot, probably a little too much. I'd be completely lost at this stage without the 'notes in standby' feature. Sometimes I wish it was more detailed, but then we're getting into Palm territory, which is definitely more than I need.

One of the reasons I got the c905 was because I thought it had a proper camera cover! It's a lot sturdier than most, and I've never had problem with it. Keeps all the dirt and dust out and it stays in place well.

I find that the more my phone does, the more I want/ expect it to do :rolleyes:. I'll never be happy until I can find one that automatically fills out my diary by reading my mind, while taking a photo an SLR would be proud of, and simultaneously making me a cup of coffee. Some day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The SE 'notes in standby' is handy I liked that. On the Nokia you can put appointments memos, but not notes. The SE though worked more logicially.

On the Nokia if I have a missed call, and ring them back via the phone book not the missed call, its not smart enough to clear the missed call. I can't text and choose from a last texted list. Lots of basic minor niggles like that.

Advertisement