Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters Query

Options
  • 31-10-2009 2:25pm

does anybody know of a situation were the student didn't have the required 2.2 degree but was accepted for a masters course anyway? and if so how did they go about trying to get in? any help appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭merlin39

one of the guys in my msc doesnt have a bsc and he just did a test to check his level.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

you can get one of the lecturers to support your application, happened to some people I know and they got in

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Isn't it 2.1 you need? If not, that makes me :D, and better start saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I know someone who got onto a taught MSc with a third class honours degree... he's now doing a PhD.

thanks for the replies, puts my mind at ease slightly, have to go about doing it now though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

If you are going to apply for a Masters with poor grades, then you would need some explanation as to why this was the case. If a 2.2 represents your best effort then perhaps a Masters might not suit you. If you got poor grades in your final year, but excellent ones in earlier years then this can indicate your potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

thanks for the replies, puts my mind at ease slightly, have to go about doing it now though
    I know of people who have. They got a significant amount of experience after their degree to make up for it as far as I know.

graduate wrote: »
    If you are going to apply for a Masters with poor grades, then you would need some explanation as to why this was the case. If a 2.2 represents your best effort then perhaps a Masters might not suit you. If you got poor grades in your final year, but excellent ones in earlier years then this can indicate your potential.

thats exactly the situation, i feel i have about 3 to 4 excellent points of explanation and my geography results were always excellent it was just my computer science modules brought me down

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

When I am looking at Masters applications and the applicant has joint degree, I would certainly give more weight to their performance in the subjects relevant to the Masters.

Advertisement