Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flash for Canon G10

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

My dad recently bought the 270EX for his G7. I can only comment to say that cheaper on on ebay appears to be almost twice the size...this might be an issue for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭golfman

My dad recently bought the 270EX for his G7. I can only comment to say that cheaper on on ebay appears to be almost twice the size...this might be an issue for you?

I don't think there's that much difference in them. Just checked it out and there's a bit of a difference but maybe not enough to justify spending nearly an extra €100.

The Canon is 64 x 65 x 72 - weight 145g
    The cheapo is 72 x 71 x 95 - weight 192g

I'm fairly inexperienced at the old photography so what doesn't seem like much of a difference to me might be in real terms. Any advise appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

i'd go with the canon just for the ettl, the cheaper one is fully manual

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭golfman

i'd go with the canon just for the ettl, the cheaper one is fully manual

Sorry, here's where I'm showing my ignorance......can you explain ettl in laymans terms and why its important for me please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

The E-TTL stands for some acronym. Basically, the camera evaluates the scene and controls the flash (duration of the flash) through the lense of the body. Therefore the camera knows what is the flash doing. There is some deep logic and algorithms involved. you set only the camera to take the picture and it is going to do all the other work. Quickly and most of the time quite well.
    The manual flash basically flashes only in the way you set it. Therefore you have to adjust the camera settings regarding to the settings of your flash.
    Even the cheapest Canon compatible E-TTL flash will be more helpful and useful than any manual flash, unless the user of the camera has 12 fingers, years of experience and some patience.

• Advertisement
Advertisement