Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Balls, or Brains

Options
  • 31-10-2009 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭

Absolute Garbage today. No passion whatsoever. Back to the Spurs that we all know, or has it ever changed.
    Several people have come on here since the summer, saying how we can break the top 4 etc etc, as Harry is great and he will turn us in to a proper side..... absolute rubbish. For me, tactically, he is in a different world in comparison to the Wenger's of this world. It sickens me to say it but Arsenal are way ahead of us.
    Keane and Redknapp both made comments during the week about how good our squad is, and that its on a par, if not better than Arsenals. Surely in the week leading up the derby, this is not the type of tripe they should be coming out with. Do they have any brains at all ?

I said to my pal last night who who is a Pool fan, that we would get thumped, we were a model for it.

To be honest, im no more confident now than I have been with our previous managers that we have had over the last 10 years.

I will continue as always to support THFC, as I love Spurs, but we need major surgery if we are to crack the Top 4.

Discuss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Agree Hatch we haven't got a chance of ever cracking that top 4,we have not got top 4 mentality.Our players do not care as much as they should it seems,Huddlestone is a joke a big man like him and he is a wimp Bentley doesn't care he is picking up his wages.I am really really downbeat after this game and performance mid table mediocracy awaits i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

lennon, defoe and modric back next sat

we should beat sunderland and then the international break before we have wigan at home. anything less than 6 points and mid table here we come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭StillRickyVilla

Its simply a matter of quality players. With our first 11 we give the Scum a game.
    Our back-up is mediocre at best (Crouch, Bentley), the Scum call upon world-class (Arshevin and Van Persie).

Our squad is simply not good enough for a Top 4 side.

The early season optimism was based on us not being in Europe etc and the hope that our best players could stay clear of injuries/suspensions - unfortunately this has not happened. We were missing our best 3 players today!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Embarrassing. Not so much the result as Arsenal are playing well and were at home, but the way the goals were conceded. Shocking defending. We badly need to pick things up now or we definitely are mid-table fodder again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

We really shot ourselves in the foot today, the fans were getting on Arsenals back and we were getting a foothold in the game, the only times they looked dangerous was when we gifted them the ball and they broke on us. Then we switch off at a throw-in and Sagna has all the time he needs to put in a great ball and its 1-0. Shocking second that no team at any level should ever concede and its game over.

Keane was totally wasted on the left, if we are going with that formation then play Kranjcar or Bale on the left and drop Keane into centre midfield where he can get forward and closer to Crouch. The 3 in the centre seemed to have the attitude that "sure there is 3 of us in here, no need to work too hard"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

mickman wrote: »
    lennon, defoe and modric back next sat

+1
    these three are vital to having any chance against the top four without them we are one dimensional long ball to crouch hope for a knock on.
    palacios couldnt stem the tide on his own huddlestone just wasnt sharp enough dwelling on the ball and then being knoked off it very easily.

contrary to robbie keanes statement there is no strenght in depth and top four is a long way off yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Kolya

I'm sickened after today.

It's always the same. Year in year out "We'll make the top four!" What a load of ****e.

The thing I can't really stand though is dropping points against easy teams, I mean look at Stoke last week! It's like the team gets a few wins, the hype goes to their heads and they think "we're that good we only need to make half an effort"

:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Dave11

Was so dissappointed today.... then again.....Why??? Why am I?? Same Spurs as always!

There were so many things wrong today but I want to highlight three players:

1. David Bently should not be allowed wear the shirt again! I think he a disgrace. Lennon gets injured so its his big chance to fight for a first team place and there was no fight in him! He was so poor and was so frustrating to watch!

2. Tom Huddlestone.... I am actually a big fan of Tom but my god will someone work with him on how to get about the pitch more. There is no doubting his vision and ability but can you sacrifice lack of mobility for that!! I'm not sure??? To many big gaps where he should be!

3. Robbie Keane...What is going on with Robbie?? Granted he was playing deep and basically midfield but come on!!! 5 goals in 11 but 4 in one game sure so thats 1 in 10!!!

I know we were away from home to a team who have scored three or more in each home game but to see the ball be launched up to Crouch over and over is so sad as a Spurs fan!! It's not our style and never should be.

I'm gonna stop giving out now!

Roll on Sunderland.... Defoe, Lennon and Modric back!! THANK GOD!

There are reasons to be positive:

1. We are still 4th and Liverpool are in crisis at the moment. I reckon 4th spot is a straight fight between us, Liverpool and Man City and so we are basically still up there having played all the top 4 already.

2. All our proper players should be back from injury/suspension for the next game so we should see a vast immediate improvement then. Also our next 2 games are at home to beatable teams.

I don't think we will ever see Bentley or Pav in a Spurs shirt again. Hopefully we can get some decent money for them in Jan & by some genuine world class back-up for the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

I was more disappointed with the Stoke result. I fully expected this one.

I know this wont be popular but I fully expect Arsenal to win the league.

We have a lot of quality players to come back and we could still go on a run. Im not going to right of Redknapp and the progress he has made over that game.

I think financially we are very secure too.

I know defeats like this hurt but they make the wins when they come all the sweeter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Could some of them cnuts have given less effort in the 2nd half today. 1st thing we need to do is sell Bentley and Pav, id rather have Townsend and Obika available than them 2.

We have Redknapp,Jordan,Bond,Sherwood and Ferdinand and so on, yet we spouted out of us during the build up to the game with such crap. Do any of them not have the experience to tell all the players to shut it and do the biz on the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Talking ourselves up during the week was foolish,it just set us up for a big fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Anyone who can't handle a bad defeat like yesterday really should think about supporting someone else. We haven't won the league in nearly 50 years.

I thought we'd loose yesterday, and sadly I was right. History and team news all pointed to this. The 2nd goal was embarresing, but that's football.

Anyone who thought we'd blow them away yesterday is sadly deluded.
    Without Lennon, Modric and Defoe we never really had a hope.

In the end we were beaten by a team that should beat us 9 times out of 10 when they are at home. If you can't get over that fact, maybe you should start following a club that wins more games then Spurs do.

Looking forward to Harry and Co putting the wrongs right next Saturday.

Anyone who can't handle a bad defeat like yesterday really should think about supporting someone else. We haven't won the league in nearly 50 years.

I thought we'd loose yesterday, and sadly I was right. History and team news all pointed to this. The 2nd goal was embarresing, but that's football.

In the end we were beaten by a team that should beat us 9 times out of 10 when they are at home. If you can't get over that fact, maybe you should start following a club that wins more games then Spurs do.

Hang on Dub Spur, you have posted very similar mails to my own above over the last 2/3 years, so its a bit rich coming on saying people should go support someone else if they cant handle such a defeat !
    No I cant handle it, I cant handle the fact that Harry needs numerous bodies around him giving him advice all the time. Surely if the man was tactically astute enough, he'd need nobody but himself to make decisions etc... afterall Wenger is not surrounded by 4 and 5 people all the time giving there opinion.

Im disgusted at the performance. Your correct in saying we missed certain players, but thats excuses, they had players missing too.

And who said anything about us going to blow them away, I did'nt. All I was asking for was an honest performance, something that was quite obviously lacking.

I honestly hope we improve, but we will only do so by making more changes to the playing staff, as the current crop of players are simply nowhere near good enough to challenge the top 4.

I think its a bit much criticising Harry at this stage. He could only do what he could do yesterday with the players available. And actually, it was his tactics that managed to contain them until individual mistakes let him down badly.

Our squad is as big as Arse's but not as good. Thats not Harry's fault as the squad players we have now like Bentley, Pav, Bale etc were bought by previous managers. Harry admits himself Crouch is 'Plan B' and so yesterday we were always going to struggle.

I like Harry talking us up & instilling a bit of confidence into us. Even in his post-match interview he was saying we would be still up there come May. He clearly has the ambition to get into the Top 4 and I say support him!

I wouldn't get too down. All our top players are back next week, we have 2 winnable home games to come and we currently sit in 4th position!!

COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

Plus Im thinking how far we have come from the two points situation.:D

Everyone has mentioned our midfield but I thought King and BAE was very poor yesterday.

I think we have every reason to be positive for a good season ahead. Weve taken three from a possible twelve fom the big four but Id be more concerned with getting consistency and picking up three points against your Hammers, Portsmouths, Hulls and Burnleys as we have done and build on it.

United are doable in the Carling Cup also which I think will breed confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Kolya

Of course I'm upset, I'm a fan. I get as upset whether we loose to Stoke, Arsenal or Hull.

Yes, I knew we didn't have much of a chance beating the gunners, at best I hope for a draw when playing one of the bigger sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Hang on Dub Spur, you have posted very similar mails to my own above over the last 2/3 years, so its a bit rich coming on saying people should go support someone else if they cant handle such a defeat !
    No I cant handle it, I cant handle the fact that Harry needs numerous bodies around him giving him advice all the time. Surely if the man was tactically astute enough, he'd need nobody but himself to make decisions etc... afterall Wenger is not surrounded by 4 and 5 people all the time giving there opinion.

Im disgusted at the performance. Your correct in saying we missed certain players, but thats excuses, they had players missing too.

And who said anything about us going to blow them away, I did'nt. All I was asking for was an honest performance, something that was quite obviously lacking.

I honestly hope we improve, but we will only do so by making more changes to the playing staff, as the current crop of players are simply nowhere near good enough to challenge the top 4.

It's fine to have a moan, work away....

They way I see it is we lost a game we were always going to loose. Like any supporter, I'm disapointed that they pissed on us 3-0, but I'm not gonna waste my time bitching and moaning, it's a waste of time and I've seen it all before.

I do however think we have a decent chance of doing well this season, not because we're great but a few teams standards have dropped.

I disagree that Arsenal's injuries/suspensions canceled out ours. Modric, Lennon and Defoe are much more important to us than Walcott, Rosicky etc..are to Arsenal.

I honestly have a lot of faith in our best 11 and our manager and I expect us to get back in track against Sunderland on Saturday.

I honestly have a lot of faith in our best 11 and our manager and I expect us to get back in track against Sunderland on Saturday.

I wish I had your confidence in our players and manager !!

If every time we go behind in a 2nd half (or at any stage), we start to lump it towards Crouch, we wont go very far.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭whitey21

With defoe, lennon, modric and palacious in the team. Crouch & bently on the bench, in the stand or at home, we can give the better teams a go...without a doubt!

The importance of modric and his passing ability wins us games, and we need him in the team every single game! We've been Sh**e without him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

Its not so much "No Balls, or Brains " but a lack of concentration, that seems to affect us. The game plan was actually working on Saturday. A*** were giving the ball away and their crowd was getting on their backs. Then we turned off for a minute and the game was over.
    We started the second half brightly enough but again the players did not play to the whistle and King ( who had an absolute nightmare) and Gomes decided to gift Van Persie another goal.
    Last week against Stoke the lack of concentration killed us when Fuller walked past BAE and Palacios stood still as Whelan scored. Palacios again was at fault for the second on Saturday ( but he was our most effective midfielder by a long shot).
    Lads its not all doom and gloom. With Lennon and Modric coming back we will have a threat on both wings. Get Crouch off so we can get the ball on the ground again and start beating teams with passing football as we did at the start of the season. And drill into the players that they must keep focused for the entire game.
    COYS!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

modric will not be playing on sat against sunderland.

mickman wrote: »
    modric will not be playing on sat against sunderland.
    sh1t, when will he EVER be back? Hopefully we will have enough without him.

Advertisement