Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I have a question for all learner Drivers

• 31-10-2009 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭

I have a question for all learner Drivers

What do you think is the worst thing about learning to drive?

What is you opinion!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

At first I thought it was the gears (the clutch etc.), but after a week that became second nature.

Then I thought it was having to think of a lot of thinks at once, e.g approach the roundabout, mirror, signal, mirror, change down gear, look right, enter roundabout, mirror, signal left, mirror, exit, change gear etc. But after a while, it all became natural.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Other drivers not giving you a chance to learn and sometimes do things a bit more slowly.
    Some right ignorant types out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MollyZ

The most difficult thing for me has been nerves and lack of confidence. I still feel sick with nerves whenever I start the engine and I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever develop enough confidence to drive properly. This isn't helped at all by some of the drivers on the road who think it's fun to intimidate learner drivers. They are in a minority in my experience - most people are understanding and patient - but there are enough of them out there to make losing the nerves even more difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭BrigR

I can sympathise with you, Molly Z! I was extremely nervous when I started, got physically sick before getting in the car, but believe me, it gets better with practise. At this stage I'm glad I persevered and went through the nervous stage, it was worth it.
    Apart from dealing with nerves I found impatient drivers very hard to deal with and drivers that feel they have to overtake me when I'm keeping the speed limit, just because they assume everybody with L plates is going too slow

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

other drivers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 littlepink

BrigR wrote: »
    Apart from dealing with nerves I found impatient drivers very hard to deal with and drivers that feel they have to overtake me when I'm keeping the speed limit, just because they assume everybody with L plates is going too slow

I'd agree with this completely. At first I thought it was me being overly sensitive, cautious and nervous until family members and friends drove my car with the L-plates on, for different reasons, and agreed that people beeped them, overtook them and cut them off because they had the L-plates. They experienced other driver's behaviour that they didn't usually get when driving without L-plates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

During my driving test (which I failed sadly) some people had the cheek to overtake, and beep at me during it, even though I was doing the legal speed limit.

Really gets on my nerves that other drivers become so ignorant and big-headed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

littlepink wrote: »
    I'd agree with this completely. At first I thought it was me being overly sensitive, cautious and nervous until family members and friends drove my car with the L-plates on, for different reasons, and agreed that people beeped them, overtook them and cut them off because they had the L-plates. They experienced other driver's behaviour that they didn't usually get when driving without L-plates.

Totally agree that there are some people who's nasty streak comes out a bit when they see a learner driver.

That said speaking as a very, very, very new learner driver...I can totally understand people wanting to get as far away from me in the forward direction as quickly and safely as possible, so I take no offence to a bevy of cars zipping around me at the first available opportunity.

The beeps when I stall, or don't go when I should, or etc ? I now find them restful and aidful in becoming contemplative. Almost like a mantra. I presume that's what they're intended to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Worst thing i found about learning was the actual test. Not being bigheaded but i took to driving like a duck to water, yet I failed the test three times for stupid little things that no-one actually does once they pass. Did you know that looking in your wing mirrors isn'y good enogh. You have to give a good 5-6 second examination of the situation, the man says to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Worst thing i found about learning was the actual test. Not being bigheaded but i took to driving like a duck to water, yet I failed the test three times for stupid little things that no-one actually does once they pass. Did you know that looking in your wing mirrors isn'y good enogh. You have to give a good 5-6 second examination of the situation, the man says to me!

lol, or maybe you just weren't as good as you thought!! :rolleyes:

For me it's same as Molly, so bloody nervous that I work myself up before goin driving. I know I just have tu get past it, but it's hard!

• Advertisement

as i said im not being bigheaded, i never had problems driving it seemed to come naturally to me...

as i said im not being bigheaded, i never had problems driving it seemed to come naturally to me...

and yet you failed three times. Seems odd!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Other drivers. Some rotten people out there...

As i said it's for stupid things that are completely irrelevant in general driving, as is most of the faults in the test. Seem's your taking issue with someone feeling their good at something, which i've been told by many people, not family or friends before you decide to say that,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

(I'm not a Learner now but....)

....coming from a family where everyone else seems to have passed the B test first time without ever appearing to have taken any lessons!!

My brothers always used to tell me that I would be a useless driver. It made me go on to pass the test in every category.

They still think they are much better drivers BTW! :eek:

As i said it's for stupid things that are completely irrelevant in general driving, as is most of the faults in the test. Seem's your taking issue with someone feeling their good at something, which i've been told by many people, not family or friends before you decide to say that,

lol, no I just find it funny that you're still so sure of yourself after three fails, I'd have had the confidence knocked right outta me!

I know there's some parts to the test that are OTT, almost pantomining actions just to be sure the tester saw you do it :D

Tisn't possible to knock the confidence out of us kerrymen:D and i must admit the biggest hazard on the road is other drivers. Driving home the last day, indicated right about 75mtrs before right turn and was about to turn into the filter laneand some chap flies overtaking me! Nearly nailed me.

And wishbone ash good post. I feel theres nothing wrong with failing a test. If you pass first time it can give a false sense of security on the roads even with the lack of experience. I've friends who passed first time and they're complete nut jobs on the road.

Tisn't possible to knock the confidence out of us kerrymen:D and i must admit the biggest hazard on the road is other drivers. Driving home the last day, indicated right about 75mtrs before right turn and was about to turn into the filter laneand some chap flies overtaking me! Nearly nailed me.

And wishbone ash good post. I feel theres nothing wrong with failing a test. If you pass first time it can give a false sense of security on the roads even with the lack of experience. I've friends who passed first time and they're complete nut jobs on the road.

Why did you indicate for 75 metres as a matter of interest ?

Presuming you had your L's on he or she probably figured 'typical hesitant learner I'm ok to go and anyway despite the indicator he/she is clearly not coming in'...and hence cut you up.

Aside from that I suppose three tests on I'd be questioning how I was doing the test at the least...even if you're a brilliant driver, you might be better off pretending to be an excellent learner driver and driving accordingly in order to pass the thing - it must be a pain in the neck at minimum to pay for it three times.

Because he was sitting right behind me just waiting for a chance to pass so i had to indicate early to warn him off passing when i went to pull in...but he did anyway...and i've my test passed 2 months ago, this was a week or two ago so no L plates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

The blind terror :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I think one of the main things that's difficult is to get used to the size of the car:

Judging if there is enough space to get through a tight squeeze. (eg driving down a narrow road with on coming traffic and cars parked on the kerb)

Working out how far back you can reverse into a parking space.

I guess it just comes with time - when you've had a good few hours under your belt

davej

Because he was sitting right behind me just waiting for a chance to pass so i had to indicate early to warn him off passing when i went to pull in...but he did anyway...and i've my test passed 2 months ago, this was a week or two ago so no L plates

Ah - I didn't get from your previous posts that you had got the test - nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Personally for me i two areas which i found the worst when i was learning;

1. The attitude in Ireland that doesn't take driving seriously.

Personally i feel there is an attitude that to be a good driver all you need to be able to do is drive the car and that alone will help you pass.

I started driving on my second provisional before the rule came in and had one test and started driving on the road, when i applied for my test my opinion was i have driving experience so i will pass but it didn't happen.

The general response i got from my family and friends was the usual their is a quota system or the test centre doesnt pass anyone ect. It was only when i did research and viewed forums like this did i grasp the importance of taking enough tests to ensure i was a competant driver.

The point im trying to get to is that i feel in general in Ireland the test does and importance of taking proper lessons does not get taken a serious as it should be.

2. Finding a good instructor

Maybe the fact that i was doing my test just before they introduced the ADI system you had people that were doing tests as a part time job or doing it for a quick buck.

The end result being that one or two of the instructors i went with just didnt seem to care as much as my last ADI approved instructor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

Once you got the basics down it has to be other drivers, especially when they're right up you backside. Being stopped on a hill and having someone pull up an inch behind me really makes me nervous and usually causes me to move off poorly and on one occasion with major wheel spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hill starts.

The amount of [individuals] that aren't L drivers, but still can't use their <SNIP> indicators at the roundabouts. The more lessons I take, the more obvious this becomes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

This post has been deleted.
    Sorry about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

the_syco wrote: »
    Hill starts.

The amount of [individuals] that aren't L drivers, but still can't use their <SNIP> indicators at the roundabouts. The more lessons I take, the more obvious this becomes!

+1, this is a major pet-peeve of mine! My parents are both divils for this, despite their constant lecturing me about being inexperienced and blah blah...
    Anyway as bad as it is in a car, when you've all that sheet-steel and airbags to protect you should something go wrong, imagine being on a bike and thinking you're safe to go! :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Starting the car and getting it into 1st and moving was hardest for me, found changing gears piss easy once I was moving...just starting off was a pain.

I soon learned after contract practice over a 3 week period each evening and then I drove to Waterford :)

My only complaint now is the lack of power in my old 1.1ltr car, 0-60 in 15sec :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

the feeling that a car is going to kick out and slide into the ditch because you're going too fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    the feeling that a car is going to kick out and slide into the ditch because you're going too fast.

Clever boy...

Finding a car to learn in for me, mother had a Hyundai atoz (too small), grandads car was a polo (still too small).. Most of my family had stupid small cars so i learnt in my Uncles company car :S a f***in Honda Accord V6!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Red Storm wrote: »
    Clever boy...

Finding a car to learn in for me, mother had a Hyundai atoz (too small), grandads car was a polo (still too small).. Most of my family had stupid small cars so i learnt in my Uncles company car :S a f***in Honda Accord V6!!

Thanks, i try not to drive too fast, most of the speed limits along rural roads are completely f*cked up and should be lower than they are.

also, i live along a 2 mile straight of road, and the noise at night is ridiculous, makes me hate boy racers, so i definitely dont want to be one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭trevorku

Where do I start,

I've been told im a slow learner by instructors so the confidence is out the window. I have a heart attack every time I approch a roundabout, it doesnt help I work for a motor insurance company and hear about accidents all day long. Other drivers being nobs and not being patient and beeping at me to move out of the way. I find it a nightmare concentrating on changing gears at the same time looking for other traffic and concentrating on indicating, going too fast and......... I have my prov license one year and still cant drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MyaP

The feeling the night before your first test is the worst thing, what I am feeling now, just so nervous and felt fairly confident until the last few days worrying about it.

The attitude of other drivers too

Worrying about cyclists on your inside lane when visibility is bad

I could go on and on :( but still love the freedom that comes with driving!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement