Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Surround Sound set up.

• 31-10-2009 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I'd appreciate some advice please. I would like to purchase a surround sound system for my tv.

I suffer with not hearing dialog properly, and usually end up having volume up too high, or subtitles on. Both of which i want to try and avoid.

Logically, the closer the speaker is, the better i hear. But from what i read, the centre speaker is generally the dialog one?? I'd personally love the dialog come from the speakers closer to me (behind me) if i were to get a 5.1 set up. Is this normal, or what settings would i have to put in to achive this.

If anyone could recommed an amp and speakers that would be great. I'm looking for an amp with about 3 HDMI connections and also, a slim amp, along the same size as a DVD player. Any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

the men to talk to would be john or kenny in richersounds...they have a forum on here. in the drop downs go to biz then talk to and click richersounds..you wont get better advice anywhere(great deals too)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SidinNaas

Not an expert here but, as far as I know, there is no option to change the speakers to which the sound is directed in a 5.1 system (i.e. dialogue will probably always go to the centre speaker). No help I know but may save you a lot of time looking for a solution that isn't out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

LaFleur,

Although it may not be the solution and others here would know better, when I read your post a feature of some AV Receivers came to mind - Night Mode.
    The general idea is that emphasis is given to the dialog so that you can maintain a lower overall volume for the 'effects' and still be able to hear what's going on without shaking the kids out of their beds.
    Switch that to a volume where the 'effects' are at their standard volume and you've just got an increased dialog level.
    Or you can just tweak the output going to the centre speaker and get something of the same effect but the advantage of the Night Mode bit is that you can just have that switched on when it's yourself watching and otherwise your system is operating as standard without navigating through settings menus to tweak speaker outputs.

Just a thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭LaFleur

Great suggestions on my post.

Many thanks to you all.

Advertisement