Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wintering cattle in reps

• 31-10-2009 7:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭

When I joined Reps 3 in 2006 my planner said he would draw up the plan on one condition that I wouldn't be housing cattle over the winter, as it was a last minute application. That was grand back then as I had intended finishing cattle off grass after buying them in the spring. This spring any cattle suitable for finishing were scarce and as a result expensive so I ended up buying yearlings that are now around 400/500kg. I have enough grass to keep them grazing until the New Year and they would be enough grass to let them out again in mid Feb and they could be finished by the end of May. The problem is where do I keep them from Jan to Mid Feb. I have cubicals and an open slurry pit that would hold all the slurry but I am not allowed to house them. Selling them when the grass is grazed would mean little profit as cattle prices are at rock bottom now. My REPS planner won't change the plan to house cattle. Anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

have you inquired about 'B&B'? i.e. renting a couple of pens in a slatted house, with the banks not giving out stocking loans there must be plenty of empty or half empty sheds avaliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Yes that looks to be the best solution at the moment but it would have to be local as I have plenty of silage for them and I wouldn't want to be drawing it too far. The other solution I had was when they finish grazing I could put 2 or 3 cattle in every field and feed them ration as I have a low stocking rate, only problem with that is that it would stop any early spring growth and would push finishing them out to July or August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭spoutwell

I wouldn't be sure how legal it is for your planner not to change your plan. Mine changed my plan just because something small came to his attention - a mistake he made recommending too much fertiliser.
    Do you know anyone in Teagasc you could chat to?
    What about phoning REPS - I think they're in Johnstown Castle or somewhere in Waterford, you'll probably get their number in your REPS literature or on the Dept of Agriculture website.
    What about putting the cattle into the driest field and feeding them in roundfeeders?
    I saw a guy a few years back with about 20 weanlings on 15 acres with no grass over the winter. He gave them nothing but meal and they destroyed the place. They looked ok when it came to sell them in April - much better than coming out of a shed. They even survived awful weather after being skulled in April.
    Anyway, how are you going to let out cattle in mid-February?
    I couldn't get them out till the end of May this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I changed my plan the second year it was only a small change and my planner said that he would have to draw up a new plan and charged me €800 for his effort. I don't think that silage in round feeders would work with REPS. Getting them out in mid feb would be possible as I have a very low stocking rate 1.7LU/ac also my land is in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

could you not chance outwintering them with a round feeder.
    what's the worst can happen?
    you get an inspection and get fined a few quid, the cattle will be worth far more next may than they are now.
    Sam Kade wrote: »
    I changed my plan the second year it was only a small change and my planner said that he would have to draw up a new plan and charged me €800 for his effort. I don't think that silage in round feeders would work with REPS. Getting them out in mid feb would be possible as I have a very low stocking rate 1.7LU/ac also my land is in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭DanFindy

Sam Kade wrote: »

I dont know your farm lad but round feeders are generally a no go area. As for 800 for an amended plan:eek: we charge the plan fee at the beginning, service charge each yr and if it needs amending no other charge applies, him and his 800 is lunacy and if u want your plan changed he should do as you say!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭agcons

Agree with danFindy. Initial charge for the plan then an annual maintenance fee to cover annual farm visit, SPS application, completing records and amending plan if required is how we and I think most private planners operate.
    Who says you cant house the cattle? if there is enough slurry storage for the slurry and dirty water then I dont see the problem. You are normally allowed outwinter up to 1 LU per ha so this could be used to reduce the storage requirement.

Advertisement