Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query for the experts

Options
  • 31-10-2009 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I was recommended to boards.ie by a friend who suggested I ask my question here (sorry if this isn't the correct forum, please move it if required).

Basically, a jug water spilled over my laptop during the day while I was at work. It won't turn on at all and I'm guessing it's not going to work anymore (?).

My question is, is it possible for me to find and take out the hard drive from the laptop, and move it to another computer and thus retain all my documents? Or access the files on the laptop in some way? I'm hoping I've not lost all the documents I had on it, despite the water spill?

Please be aware that I'm not good at all with opening up computers or the like, so if you could please give any advice in really simple terms that'd be much appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance :).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

I think you will be able to take out the hhd as it sits normally in it's own bay and a bit protected from spills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

You should put the laptop in the hotpress for a few days, might work afterwards.

Also taking out the hd should be easy enough, what model and make is your laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Barstooler

Effluo wrote: »
    You should put the laptop in the hotpress for a few days, might work afterwards.

Also taking out the hd should be easy enough, what model and make is your laptop?

Thanks very much for the replies NordicDiver and Effluo. Really appreciate the help.

The damaged laptop is an ASUS X59GL. I've put it in the hotpress as suggested. I tried to turn it on again this morning, and no sign of life in it at all. Would you think that the hard drive is still in working order? (I know it's probably hard to tell without trying it).

Also, I have a work laptop, quite new - an Acer 5536. How difficult/easy would it be for me to put the old laptop hard drive into this (or another computer)? Would there be space for it? And should I try salvage any other parts from the damaged ASUS laptop?

Thanks again for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Barstooler wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the replies NordicDiver and Effluo. Really appreciate the help.

The damaged laptop is an ASUS X59GL. I've put it in the hotpress as suggested. I tried to turn it on again this morning, and no sign of life in it at all. Would you think that the hard drive is still in working order? (I know it's probably hard to tell without trying it).

Also, I have a work laptop, quite new - an Acer 5536. How difficult/easy would it be for me to put the old laptop hard drive into this (or another computer)? Would there be space for it? And should I try salvage any other parts from the damaged ASUS laptop?

Thanks again for the info.

You might get a few quid for the Asus screen if its not damaged.With the hard drive,I'd recomened getting an external enclosure which connects to your working laptop via USB andthat way you will be able to get the data off the drive if its still alive

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

I can't see the HDD being too badly damaged so you should be ok to try pull data off it OP. As said above you'll be needing an enclosure

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=339052

Something like that one will do the trick. Was the laptop connected to the AC when you spilt the water? Does anything light up when you plug it in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

You don't necessarily need to buy an enclosure to access the S-ATA hard drive. If you have access to a PC you could just connect it directly to internal power and data cables to access it.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Would be the best way to get the data onto his work laptop like he wants. You can get little sata-usb converters though. They're good too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

You should leave it in the hotpress for a few days not just hours. MAybe even a week

http://support.asus.de/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Here's the place you can download the manual for it

It's not the first one in english it's the second one further down the page
    It'll tell you where the harddrive is and then all you have to do is screw

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

*sigh* Probably too late now... First rule of laptop spills: Yank out that battery. Fast. And the charger/mains if connected. Then put the laptop and battery in the press separately and air for a couple of days before applying any form of power.

If you leave the battery in, its all for nought. The (most likely slightly conductive) liquid could have shorted half the mobo, and if the battery is there it'll supply the energy needed to deep-fry the entire laptop :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Barstooler

Deano12345 wrote: »
    You might get a few quid for the Asus screen if its not damaged.With the hard drive,I'd recomened getting an external enclosure which connects to your working laptop via USB andthat way you will be able to get the data off the drive if its still alive

Thanks for the reply Deano. The laptop was left open during the day on the desk (stupid I know), so I think the screen should be fine as no water got near it.

That's great, thanks for the advice about the external enclosure. Sounds like I might be able to rescue the data.
    I can't see the HDD being too badly damaged so you should be ok to try pull data off it OP. As said above you'll be needing an enclosure

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=339052

Something like that one will do the trick. Was the laptop connected to the AC when you spilt the water? Does anything light up when you plug it in?

Cheers for the link, I had never heard of an enclosure before :o. It's not too expensive either thankfully. Brilliant news that you think the HD should still be okay to get data from. I'm going to order that now.

Unfortunately yes, the laptop was connected to the mains at the time of the spill. I was out of the house at work when it happened (don't know if it was the dog or a clumsy housemate), but needless to say it was still plugged in when I got home :(. There's no sign of any life/lights when I plug it in. I've no degree in computing, but I'm guessing that's not good...
    You don't necessarily need to buy an enclosure to access the S-ATA hard drive. If you have access to a PC you could just connect it directly to internal power and data cables to access it.

Nice one, that's another option. I have access to a PC as well, but I'm not sure what the S-ATA bit means or how difficult it would be for a computer-opening novice like me to connect it to internal power and data cables? :o
    Would be the best way to get the data onto his work laptop like he wants. You can get little sata-usb converters though. They're good too

Thanks. So I'm best off with buying what you suggested in the earlier link, the enclosure? Or this S-ATA usb thing?
    Effluo wrote: »
    You should leave it in the hotpress for a few days not just hours. MAybe even a week

http://support.asus.de/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Here's the place you can download the manual for it

It's not the first one in english it's the second one further down the page
    It'll tell you where the harddrive is and then all you have to do is screw

Thanks Effluo, I've got it sitting in the hotpress now, I'll leave it there for a week and hope for the best. I've downloaded that manual now as well, so at least I know where to find the hard drive :o. That's a start I suppose unless there's a miracle and the hot press dries it out and it turns on again for me. Cheers for the advice, even I should be able to manage to unscrew and locate the HD now :).
    Solitaire wrote: »
    *sigh* Probably too late now... First rule of laptop spills: Yank out that battery. Fast. And the charger/mains if connected. Then put the laptop and battery in the press separately and air for a couple of days before applying any form of power.

If you leave the battery in, its all for nought. The (most likely slightly conductive) liquid could have shorted half the mobo, and if the battery is there it'll supply the energy needed to deep-fry the entire laptop :(

Oh crap!! The battery was in :(. I didn't even think of it. I've taken it out now, but this happened during the day on Friday, I'm sure the damage is already done :(.

Does this change the advice I've been given above? What are the chances of still being able to get the data off the HD?

Thanks very much for all the replies gents (and ladies?!), it really is much appreciated. I won't be so stupid and careless with a laptop again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement