Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Army and Navy

Options
  • 31-10-2009 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

cad a tharla? ta se dunta.
    maybe there is just not enough interest in wearing second hand military clothing these days as there was in the 80s when the German army parka clad the youth of the nation?
    i will never forget wearing a german army shirt in germany and the dirty looks I got cos the folk there have an aversion to their own flag.
    iI wonder what will become of the site?
    it used to have a smell in it in the eighties that rivalled Una Taafes. BTW i don't think the smell was all her fault. there is still a manky smell in Williams Street. adds to the medieval charm of the place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Gone for good then is it? Very sad, all the catapults and knives I bought there as a kid and clothes as a student, it did seem to be always empty whenever I went in in recent times though.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

it was worth going in there alone just to see the t-shirt which boldly proclaimed:

JESUS LOVES YOU

everyone else thinks you're a cunt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

OH dear, that's heat breaking!! And it was a chance to see one of galways few remaining medievial enclosed courtyards.

I'm getting awful nostalgic

I must be almost over it because I've just thought that'd be a great location for a restraunt with outdoor seating in the court yard, all covered in greenery and fairylights.... what a location!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

Greaney wrote: »
    OH dear, that's heat breaking!! And it was a chance to see one of galways few remaining medievial enclosed courtyards.

I'm getting awful nostalgic

I must be almost over it because I've just thought that'd be a great location for a restraunt with outdoor seating in the court yard, all covered in greenery and fairylights.... what a location!!

Dont meant to burst ur bubble but it was more a hotchpotch of yards behind 19th century tenement houses on William St and Abbeygate St.....

seemingly there were awful problems with who exactly owned what there....no deeds or titles....so awful hard place to do anything with...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Dont meant to burst ur bubble but it was more a hotchpotch of yards behind 19th century tenement houses on William St and Abbeygate St.....

seemingly there were awful problems with who exactly owned what there....no deeds or titles....so awful hard place to do anything with...

probably build on older buildings. there could well be a bit of old galway underneath. does anyone have the 1650 map in their head and know hhat was on the site?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Miracleman

It was particularly missed on Halloween week I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

a lot of the stock they had was grotty and falling apart. i remember as a child being warned not to touch the stuff in there or I could get aids.

if they had sold more hiking stuff they would have brought in the customers.
    that building beside it, with only the facade, was that the bit that burnt down in the eighties?

Advertisement