Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We need a Boards.ie instant messager

Options
  • 31-10-2009 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

Has the idea of Boards IM ever considered? Even for subscribers only? It could even gain Boards lots more subscribers, I suggested it before a thread asking how we could make Boards better but nothing came of it.

I've lots of friends on here that I've built up over the time, play games and run a gameserver with some of them. Would be very handy to have a community IM as at the moment I'm using several different methods, Pm, Steam, Xfire, Msn, GoogleTalk, Skype to connect as everyone uses a different IM method. You'd definitely need to be added as a friend first and have the ability to block (and appear offline) same as every other IM but pm and email as You know is a very slow way to converse and its all Boards offers.

Anyone else think its a good idea?
    Post edited by Shield on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Visitor messages is kinda the same tho.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Kiera wrote: »

Not really. PogMoThoin is referring I think to a Boards IM system where you have a list of friends you can chat to in real-time and not actually access it via Boards.

PogMoThoin, sounds cool though isn't gonna work. I suggest that you give you existing IM details to those whom you wish to be in IM contact with and see what happens.

Besides that there's an unofficial IRC chat room that some of use hang out in.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Add your friends to gmail google chat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Kiera wrote: »

Not the same, You gotta get on Boards, then the persons profile, for this I mean proper instant messaging, a seperate app if not possible to integrate into Boards
    Ponster wrote: »
    PogMoThoin, sounds cool though isn't gonna work. I suggest that you give you existing IM details to those whom you wish to be in IM contact with and see what happens.

I already do, I use the ones listed above, but it'd be much easier to have a universal app as alot of my online stuff springs from Boards, its central to my online life
    Ponster wrote: »
    Besides that there's an unofficial IRC chat room that some of use hang out in.

IRC is just so dated, I've stopped using it ages ago. We're moving forward with Google Wave and Mozilla Raindrop etc, IRC is just too clunky.
    Beruthiel wrote: »

See thats the thing, not everyone uses Gmail, in fact I know loads without a Gmail. I've a Gmail but rarely use GoogleTalk. Most of my friends use Msn (not my choice) which is why Msn is my main IM app but I've ended up having Skype and Xfire just for 1 or 2 people and they're on here

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Beruthiel wrote: »

Agreed,

Boards.ie isn't facebook, :)

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Agreed,

Boards.ie isn't facebook, :)

Which is why I don't have a Facebook account, deleted mine ages ago.

So is this such a bad idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

To be honest, right now we don't have the development time to do it. There are several other more important projects which have to be done first.

That said, it will be considered next time we're planning new features.
    PogMoThoin wrote: »
    See thats the thing, not everyone uses Gmail, in fact I know loads without a Gmail. I've a Gmail but rarely use GoogleTalk. Most of my friends use Msn (not my choice) which is why Msn is my main IM app but I've ended up having Skype and Xfire just for 1 or 2 people and they're on here

Multi-protocol instant messaging apps FTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

No, it's quite a good idea.

Unfortunately, enforcement is a major problem, which is why it'll never happen, I'm afraid.

Boards irc became synonymous with cliquery and bitching, and there are many more souls aboard the ship now.

edit: unless of course you meant a 1to1 application, my apologies.

Conor wrote: »
    To be honest, right now we don't have the development time to do it. There are several other more important projects which have to be done first.

That said, it will be considered next time we're planning new features.

Thanks, I'm just really throwing the idea out there for discussion
    Conor wrote: »

I'm aware of these, but I've family abroad who use Msn for video which these apps don't cater for
    edit: unless of course you meant a 1to1 application, my apologies.

God no, I didn't mean global Boards IM, that would never work. What would be needed is an IM client linked to boards which work 1:1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

There are plenty of alternatives out there that are used throughout the world. Anyone that I've needed to speak with on here more frequently is usually done through pm/irc/msn/steam/xfire/skype/google talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'm aware of these, but I've family abroad who use Msn for video which these apps don't cater for
    Nothing to do with casting water on your idea but even if your family are hoping to use a hypothetical boards IM for communication, a hypothetical boards IM service developed in-house would be rather unlikely to support video for rather a while so for family comms you're still stuck with the existing methods of instant communication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

isnt there a irc channel? even faster than a IM :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Great idea OP. The PM facility is the only one for having a conversation - IM would be so much faster. And the profile page isn't much good if you want to keep it private.

Why the naysaying? I've a feeling in my waters the suggestion would be taken far more seriously if made by a more "established" member...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Bad bad bad idea.

Lets face it if there's anyone I want to have available via IM its already been sorted out. The only possible 'advantage' a boards.ie IM service could have is for people who simply can't want for a reply from an PM sent to someone they don't know.

Now that I've said it, it seems like the perfect idea, I suggest we sign the admins and cmods up right away. It could only help them in their job :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Dudess wrote: »

Why the naysaying? I've a feeling in my waters the suggestion would be taken far more seriously if made by a more "established" member...

Don't know what you are implying by that.
    PogMoThoin is an "established" member imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

IRC is just so dated, I've stopped using it ages ago. We're moving forward with Google Wave and Mozilla Raindrop etc, IRC is just too clunky.

This is a bad idea, and you've given the exact reason. There are hundreds of other ways already to talk to people online.

sceptre wrote: »
    Nothing to do with casting water on your idea but even if your family are hoping to use a hypothetical boards IM for communication, a hypothetical boards IM service developed in-house would be rather unlikely to support video for rather a while so for family comms you're still stuck with the existing methods of instant communication.

Not a chance, they know nothing of my Boards existence ;)
    Definitely wouldn't expect video, just a simple IM would be great. Create an app and sell it with subscriptions if need be

Maybe You're right, I've a feeling if DeVore or Vexorg suggested it, it would be a great idea

Maybe You're right, I've a feeling if DeVore or Vexorg suggested it, it would be a great idea
    Yep. Nothing against DeVore btw.

Instant messaging here just seems like such an obvious, logical step.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Boards is the LAST place I go to when I want a 1:1 conversation and that wouldn't change if it had an IM system - There's so many apps at our disposal as it is and you can be sure mostly everyone uses some/most if not all of them already. It'd be 'handy', sure, and as Conor said it'll surely be considered or implemented in the future but until that day I'll gladly continue rolling my eyes at all this garbage being posted about things not being considered purely because some higher power hasn't suggested it him/herself.

+1

Another thing I've thought about is that this is a discussion site, and I'd prefer to see it that way. This is a very Facebook-esque idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Just to point out when I saw this I thought 'meh dunno if we really need another IM system' and it was ZERO to do with who suggested it so I really don't get where people are getting that idea from.
    I'd say the same to DeVore as I shall to the OP

we have MSN/Gtalk/Skype etc, and you can add that into your profile so your friends on this can add you on it. I can't imagine the lads have the time to delve into the IM side of things at the moment anyway and I'd assume it would need a lot of work to make sure it doesn't affect the running of boards in general.
    Look at FB chat -- it's sh*t tbh, AND if someone IMs you on it, it stops you writing text on any other tab you have open, and if you hit backspace, it goes back a page on the tab you have open. VERY annoying.

I've more than enough with msn/gtalk/skype myself and tbh I really doubt I'd use a boards IM system. I just add people I'm friendly with onto those applications.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I think that you need to have your waters changed.

The idea has been brought up several times in the past. We even had a user that developed a piece of code that allowed all people browsing the same thread to chat to each other without having to install a separate piece of software.

A boards.ie IM system is not a direction I'd like to see the site aiming towards and think that the time and money needed for such a project could well be spent elsewhere.
    Even if I liked the idea I can see the problems it would introduce, both technical and social, and feel that overall it wouldn't add to the site as a whole.

But there's already a PM facility - it would just be the same thing, only faster. I don't see how it would detract from people getting engaged in the main site discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I still wouldn't think it would be a good idea.

As a User having a chat functionality might be nice as an additional possibility, but as an Admin, seeing what happens on forums every day - there would need to be a large amount of work done in moderating and keeping an eye on another thread of discourse: real time chat. Not to mention the great deal of work involved in actually developing this. It's difficult and time consuming enough keeping the existing methods of discussion away from trouble, this will just increase workload imo.

Unless someone can figure out a way of preventing libel, aggression, insulting behaviour, trolling and spam without relying on mods, cmods and admins - I'm against it.

Plenty of threads in the past by the way, and I'm sure there are more in other fora:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055573194
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055554928
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055399089
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=111990

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I think it could be a good feature for boards. I remember discussing it before and there are definitely pros and cons alright (could be one of the threads Gordon linked).

I think one of the pros would be you wouldn't have to give your real name to other users - if I give someone my gmail it pretty much tells them what my real name is.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This is something which was suggested and rejected (marginally) a few times before.

Generic "IM my mates" type of apps are not our direction. We are topic driven even if that topic is "my mates" ala the Nocs/BGRH etc.

We had discussed having something chat-based per forum before and its not an awful idea, but we havent weighed up all the pros and cons because it definitely doesnt have the capacity to garner development time at the moment.

Our next developments are going to be in the areas of:
    1. Search. Improvments, functionality and stability.

2. Interface. Ours is crap. Its time we fixed it. This is the biggest challenge in the next 4 months.

3. Metrics. This is more of an internal one. We need to know whats going on with the site. The days of me "steering the ship by walking the boards" are over. We need numbers and metrics for information. If I spent one minute on every forum... I wouldnt sleep.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

We do not under any circumstances need an IM system on boards.

I hate this whole web 2.1 culture where half the sites I use have this. I don't like it myself.

Web 2.0 BRILLIANT, I love it. But this bull with IM's on discussion forums is just crap.

Some sites I have used in the past now have it. ultimate-guitar.com forums being a prime example. I am tired of using sites and being confronted by an awful bar at the bottom telling me how many friends are online.

It's no good for real discussions because it would just be used as a short message service anyway!

PM is much better for discussions because it gives you time to think.

If you want to IM them, exchange the particulars for Skype, Gtalk, AIM, MSN, or whatever other apps ye use.

But PLEASE don't integrate an IM system, it's just not needed.

It's like flashing gifs, a fad that will pass I think. Or at least evolve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

So is this such a bad idea?

Because the site will be auto blacklisted and blocked for a whole heap of people in work, due to having a 'chat' facility.

There are plenty of im clients out there and you just pass on your contact details to whom you want to chat with or put it in your profile here.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I wouldn't be against it but I doubt I'd ever really use it, all my friends on boards I can chat to through msn/facebook/text anyway.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Pog has been here 3 years and has 5000+ posts, it's safe to say he's an established member of boards, particularly on the games category. If the admins had mentioned it I'd have the same feeling that it's not what the site needs.
    Yep. Nothing against DeVore btw.

Something against Vexorg?

Advertisement