Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Savoy Cabbage

Options
  • 31-10-2009 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hi, have eaten cabbage in the past and always enjoyed it but have never cooked it. Bought a Savoy Cabbage today, any tips on cooking method? Also, I'm planning on doing as a side with the Sunday roast so I'll probably have some leftover, any tips for the cabbage leftovers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Cadiz

I've put it in both risotto and stirfries before and it's very nice for both. In stirfry it has a bok choi kind of texture - nice. Think it would work nicely in Chow Mein aswell..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I like it shredded and cooked with chopped bacon. Fry chopped smoked rashers or a packet of bacon bits in olive oil until crisp(you can add chopped onion too if you like), then add the shredded cabbage and black pepper and stir constantly for around 10 minutes. Don't let it brown. If you don't want it too crisp, add a drop of hot water and put a lid on the pan, turn the heat down and simmer for another 10 minutes. If you haven't got a lid for your pan, make one with tinfoil.

If you're using leftover cabbage, when you add it just stir it over the heat long enough to heat it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Stuffed Cabbage in the Troo Style - A brilliant recipe, this link has an interesting little aside as to its origins.

Advertisement