Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What the internet knows about you

• 31-10-2009 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

http://whattheinternetknowsaboutyou.com/

Pretty good stuff... another link to make you paranoid. Also provides solutions. website takes things a bit further and shows you a list of websites you've been on. It then tells you how to avoid getting that sort of detection. Very good for showing exactly how public your browsing history is even when you try to hide it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Wow, I'm impressed.
    Shocking really that all of the major browsers let this slip, even if it is in a roundabout way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

This is to do with cookie handling in browsers.

Each of those websites listed sets a known "cookie" in your browser and they can leave it on your pc until it expires based on their choosen expiry time.

I use firefox and tell it to delete all cookies everytime I exit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭KC JONES

it only lists google and amazon as pages viewed by me
    Edit: I see now it only lists a couple to demonstrate principle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I haven't been on one of the sites it lists in about 3 weeks. Still quite annoying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Cookies are rarely needed to last longer than the immediate session. if you would rather not be exposed to aggressive tracking online you should have firefox delete all cookies when you close the browser.

there are of course sites that you would rather maintain a cookie for, (Yahoo, Ebay, facebook etc.)
    using the firefox plugin 'permit cookie' you can selectively preserve cookies for sites that you explicitly whitelist.

NOBODY should ever have third party cookies enabled, It has no benefit to the user whatsoever. you can change this setting in the privacy tab in FF. (It is enabled by default!!!???)

there is a relatively new and nastier cookie on the scene that can track you by altering your exposed flash settings. this field can be used to store unique identifiers. for this I use 'Better Privacy' another great plugin for FF.

please do not facilitate these tracking methods. Your privacy is your right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

it knows nothing about me woo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

This is to do with cookie handling in browsers.
    No it isn't. It sets hidden links to each of the pages, which your browser will turn another colour (purple, instead of blue) if you've visited that page. It then looks at all of these hidden links using javascript to see if they have changed colour. If they have, you visited that page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I use Firefox 3.5.5 and it clears everything every time I close it down. I ask it to keep passwords, but that's all. Apparently all it can say that I've visited recently is my homepage from launch (Google).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

granted guys if you clear your cookies then it won't pick anything up. I use chrome which i'm quite happy to leave full of cookies. I have my firefox set up very restrictively to clear everything once i close and script blocker add blocker etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Still a good idea to check it every now and again for peace of mind. I'll be running this on my parents' PC next time I'm there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

If you browse incognito, it won't show up either!
    Google chrome does it, so does the latest IE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Advertisement