Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carling cup QF

Options
  • 31-10-2009 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

Man Utd away,not the draw i was hoping for.:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

All depends on what team they play. We have'nt won there in a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

tough draw but was always gonna be.

fancy our chances against there second string but then again they could still do us. especially up there they tend to get a home town ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

Should be an entertaining game. May consider going to that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I'll be happy when we're out.
    It will allow us to put all our efforts into securing a high league placing.
    It's all about the league for me this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

come on!! i think we can beat them, its time for revenge! will be interesting to see what team they play...

• Advertisement

I'll be happy when we're out.
    It will allow us to put all our efforts into securing a high league placing.
    It's all about the league for me this season.

Come on, a possible 3 games away from Wembley and you dont want it :rolleyes:

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Come on, a possible 3 games away from Wembley and you dont want it :rolleyes:

Priorities mate, It would be great to win a cup and challenge for the Champions League placings at the same time.

I honestly don't beleive we can do both, therefore I think it's worth risking the cups for a decent shot at 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

see where you are coming from Shane,but on a selfish note i have not been to the last two finals due to lack of loyalty points but this season i stand a good chance if we get there,but yes the league is the priority.

Priorities mate, It would be great to win a cup and challenge for the Champions League placings at the same time.

I honestly don't beleive we can do both, therefore I think it's worth risking the cups for a decent shot at 4th.

So your telling me an extra 3/4 games between November to March will have a sizeable effect on our chances of challenging for 4th, come on.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭StillRickyVilla

The quicker we are out of this cup the better. Like it or lump it, this cup does not mean anything anymore.

The way football is going, for better or worse, its now ALL about the PL, the Champions League and the inevitable transition towards a proper European League in the next 10 years or so.

The window of opportunity to regain our place in football's elite (before its too late) is becoming smaller and smaller.

In my opinion, this season could be our LAST chance to get there.

1. We have had the best start in living memory, can't see us repeating this season's start again.
    2. The Top 3 are nailed on. That leaves Liverpool, ordinarily a definite Top 4 side, but this season are a club in crisis (still only 1pt behind us!). Man City - this is the last season they won't be nailed on Top 4. The money they are spending, they will become the new Chelsea by next season at the latest.
    3. Harry is well into his 60's and this is his last shot at the big time.

So in the grand scheme of things, the Carling Cup is a complete anamoly, only kept on for survival money for League 1 and League 2 clubs.

p.s And the only reason we keep doing so well in this competition, year after year, is that the top 5 or 6 clubs play their youth teams because all their focus is on the PL & CL qualification and the bottom 12-15 clubs play their reserve teams because all their focus is on PL survival!! So there are only about 2 or 3 teams who are actually taking this cup seriously!

I just cannot get excited about the prospect of playing Man U's reserves/youth team - winning cups is all about the glory - thats not glory for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

ricky villa - we also play our second string side in the carling cup. people seem to forget that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭StillRickyVilla

Point taken.
    I suppose it makes the the competition the modern day equivalent of the old Football Combination Reserve League - whatever happened to that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

tippspur wrote: »
    Man Utd away,not the draw i was hoping for.:(

Would much prefer to lose at this stage than to go all the way to Wembley and be beaten there, just like last year.
    Have to play Manure, Ar5ena1, etc at some stage; why not now? To lose now is a little easier to suffer than losing a final I think.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    So your telling me an extra 3/4 games between November to March will have a sizeable effect on our chances of challenging for 4th, come on.....

Yes I do, 3/4 more chances to pick up injuries and suspensions.

Each to their own, and I undersatnd your point of view, I just see it differently.

We've been in 2 domestic finals in the past 2 years, that's done now. now it's time to reach for higher goals, and that's 4th in my book.

Yes I do, 3/4 more chances to pick up injuries and suspensions.

Each to their own, and I undersatnd your point of view, I just see it differently.

We've been in 2 domestic finals in the past 2 years, that's done now. now it's time to reach for higher goals, and that's 4th in my book.

I think we'll be waiting pal ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/carlingcupdate031109.html

tuesday dec 1st sky sports 8 pm kick off it is.

Advertisement