Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New fence - how to cap posts?

Options
  • 31-10-2009 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Any suggestions please as to how to protect the tops of the 24 rough cut timber posts in my new fence? I've just started painting with Fencelife but I want to keep as much rain from getting in as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Make up a cap that is bigger than the post head
    If you pm me I will send you a sketch :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

mwexford wrote: »
    Any suggestions please as to how to protect the tops of the 24 rough cut timber posts in my new fence? I've just started painting with Fencelife but I want to keep as much rain from getting in as possible.

nail a nice slate to them (at a nice angle) with a roofers copper nail.....if you cut all the posts on top at the same angle, all the slates will look at exactly the same angle and its real attractive, cost effective and will keep the heads of your posts bone dry.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭mwexford

Lovely idea - thank you very much - and I can recycle the old slates that are lying around the place here. Cheers niceirishfella

mwexford wrote: »
    Lovely idea - thank you very much - and I can recycle the old slates that are lying around the place here. Cheers niceirishfella

no hassles, it looks lovely, the sun dances of them when they are wet etc, really nice, easy to do and cheap too.

no hassles, it looks lovely, the sun dances of them when they are wet etc, really nice, easy to do and cheap too.

Any chance of a nice pic?

• Advertisement

I'd love to, but it's a bloke up the road that did it (not me) - really tastefully and it something i'm going to do down the road.

No worries. Thanks again

No worries. thanks again

Advertisement