Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infant Eczema

Options
  • 31-10-2009 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭

my 6 month old has this isolated to a small area on his cheek...but flares up every so often.
    I was wondering what are the most common triggers...it must something that would come into contact with his cheek as its the only area affected

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

Hi Voltex.. Could this possibly be from teething? My daughter is a year old and only has two teeth but around the time she was getting these teeth the rash she got on her face was awful. She has slight eczema on her back and shoulder's and teething definitely made it worse. I used bepthan (sp?) on the rash on her face and i also give omega fish oils as i have heard great thing's from other parent's whose children suffer from eczema about the fish oils.
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Infant eczema is usually related to allergies, our son had eczema for a time and has a peanut allergy.
    Have you thought about taking her for an allergy test? It could be worthwhile.
    The fact that the eczema is on her cheek doesn't necessarily mean that it is something contacting the cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Our little girl who is 2 has eczema. She has had bad eczema since birth but over the summer it got better with the some good weather we got. Normally kids grow out of by the time they are 4 or 5. It could be teething as well as kids drool allot and the saliva would make the skin moist and ripe for skin infections. If you are worried talk to your child's doctor and try not to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Voltex wrote: »
    my 6 month old has this isolated to a small area on his cheek...but flares up every so often.
    I was wondering what are the most common triggers...it must something that would come into contact with his cheek as its the only area affected

Make sure that you are using a non biological washing powder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 wapo

Also be carefull what you put in the bath....& how you moisturize the skin.
    Always go for an organic chemicial free products which contains marigold.
    Marigold has great antiseptic, soothing and anti-inflammatory properties to protect sensitive skin.

Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

My son developed eczema on both his cheeks at around 14 months. It lasted till he was about 4. His cheeks would sometimes be completely raw. He also got impetigo once from his cheeks being so open to infection. I used to use a tiny smear of Fucibet cream and cover it with emulsifying ointment. I had to use it fairly regularly to keep his cheeks from constantly 'burning him'. It isn't really recommended to use long term because it thins the skin. For him it left him with little whiter patches on his cheeks which would show up in the summer when he go a bit browner. They are gone now. He also had small patches of it on his shin bones, upper arms, a patch on his chest and a small patch near his groin. For those I just stuck to the emulsifying ointment. He has grown out of most it now except for a patch on his shin.

I found Dreft washing powder to be the best to use (the machine variety).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Could be dairy.. this triggered a reaction in my little lad once he weaned fully onto bottles at 6ish weeks.. we used the colief drops in the bottle to break down the lactose and it did help.. he was much better once he weaned onto solids and i kept him dairy-free til he was 18 months. we weaned him gradually onto it but even still if he over does it with dairy he'll get a mild flare up. His problem was that i didn't eat dairy when i was pregnant(i've dairy issues) so his body didn't know what to do with it. he had it on his upper arms behind his knees and on his right cheek ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭charlie2505

Can I query re food allergy? How or where can you this done? My DD is almost 2 and still had red patches around her mouth. Her exzema can flair up for what seems no reason-though dry heat does make it alot worse. My DS is 6 months old and has now started to get a red patch around his mouth-I thought it was teething with my daughter at that age but as she still has it and now my son does I am beginning to wonder do they have some kind of food allergy or intolerance-possibly dairy.
    I brought it up with my GP about 6 months ago-or at least I mentioned her unexplained tiredness during the day.
    She has always been a great sleep and would always sleep more than most babies during the day too-but now that she is 2 and most kids have grown out of their naps altogether or just have 1-she is still needing 3-4 hours sleep over 1 or 2 naps a day. She seems unnaturally tired to me and I queried this about 6 months ago to be told it was normal. Maybe it is but....This has gotten alot worse lately and she has also started to experience bad constipation-when her diet is fine and liquid intake more than adequate-she now a faecial impactment which is going to take months to sort out and she keeps saying things like-sweetcorn ow-when talking about what is sore-she points to her belly and says sore there-sweetcorn sore.
    GP dismissed it straight away but I will bring it up again next time I am in. Any idea re how you go about testing for allergy/intolerance? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ask your GP to refer you to one of the paediatric allergists.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

An appointment with an allergist can take a loong time.
    Ours was to be a two year wait!
    We booked him into a private clinic in London on Harley St, it wasn't that expensive, maybe 100 stg for the appointment +flights etc.
    Well worth it in our case as our son has a peanut allergy which is potentially fatal.
    Two years was just too long to be uncertain as to what foods he could safely eat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement