Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possible Meet Up - 6th of November Anyone? - The AFTERMATH...

• 01-11-2009 12:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

Hmnnnnnn.....,

Ok i'm finding myself in the city centre (dublin) next Friday evening from about 6:30pm with a couple of hours to kill, so i've the option of go see a movie, or perhaps meet up should anyone be interested in a walk around for a night time shoot.

Now I appreciate for most that Friday evening won't be the best for timing so I don't particularly expect a large group to go "Yay!" or anything, but even if there were someone extra to tag along with, then I think i'd favour an evening of stroll and shoot some street life rather than the movie option. If there are more than one then all the better (just no axe murderers seeking revenge on photographers please... :))

So;

(a) is there anyone out there interested???? and
    (b) where in the city centre are the must shoot night locations???

Thanks people.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Ok i'm finding myself in the city centre (dublin) next Friday evening from about 6:30pm with a couple of hours to kill,

Love to go but I've a school reunion that night in Doheny & Nesbits. Class of '73 :o

You could all call in and take some snaps of us old fogies :D - just mind the zimmer frames parked in the hallway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I might very well be available for this. I've always meant to go out and take some night photos, I just never have. Heh I'll have to see if herself doesn't have any plans first.

The world and his wife all seem to have one of the Ulster Bank complex, so around the Liffey there might be one idea. Ha'Penny Bridge as well perhaps? Btw- I'm not an experienced night photographer at all, so I hope that's not a problem. This would be a first for me and would give me a chance to use the tripod I bought and never used once!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Interested.

I try to stay away from the city centre, especially on a Friday night and with expensive equipment, but in a group it should be safe enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

I might be heading home to Cork that weekend so could meet ye !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Would be up for that as well. Now that I have a SLR, am in town anyway and can't make Wednesday (KJTs night walk). Just never did a night walk before and don't have a tripod. If you don't mind a newbie...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

If you're still about when the Muse gig finishes up in the Point then I'll join in :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

m_s_nixon wrote: »
    If you're still about when the Muse gig finishes up in the Point then I'll join in :)

Ah, now that's why I'm in Dublin leaving the young 'uns to the gig. I did have a ticket for myself but a friend of the daughter was stuck for one so I did the honourable thing.... Hence its either a movie or a night of photography :D

Enjoy the gig.

(b) where in the city centre are the must shoot night locations???

IFSC for a start :D

Haypenny bridge :rolleyes:

Convention centre

Eircom(?) building down beside Heuston station

The Point if you fancy having the camera out with lots of people around

Ulster Bank would be brilliant if they left the lights on but they never do :(

Grand Canal Dock theatre (i think it's called that) in the docklands

If I'm around, I'd be up for it.

Ah, now that's why I'm in Dublin leaving the young 'uns to the gig. I did have a ticket for myself but...

at the risk of putting an end to this meet before it even gets going
    http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/180042BE91AA3A81?artistid=944747&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1
    ticketmaster have released more tickets for the gig :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭rameire

Very cheeky, but.....Any chance you could delay it til the following Friday??

Would love to come but got my official leaving do from my old job this Friday...:o

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    Very cheeky, but.....Any chance you could delay it til the following Friday??

Would love to come but got my official leaving do from my old job this Friday...:o

Afraid, I won't be around the following Friday. Sorry.

Someone mentioned something about Kyle's Wednesday night one??? (would that suit?)

Good luck in the new job. Fair play to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

I am very busy too unfortunetly. I have 1) Toys4BigBoys tickets, 2) Shamrock Rovers V St. Pats tickets, & 3) a Wedding! Oh god I hate decisons !!!

P.S. I am not going the wedding anyway!:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I would like to join you on Friday evening. What lens do you intend using on the night and will you be using a tripod. Just so I have an idea what I should use as I am new to night/city photography. Weather permitting I hope to be there, I suppose you will designate a meeting point as the time gets nearer.
    Thanks, John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

You will need a tripod. An essential to night photography from my experiance!

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    I would like to join you on Friday evening. What lens do you intend using on the night and will you be using a tripod. Just so I have an idea what I should use as I am new to night/city photography. Weather permitting I hope to be there, I suppose you will designate a meeting point as the time gets nearer.
    Thanks, John

Don't worry (well speaking for myself anyhow), if you haven't a clue about this kind of night time shooting then you will be in very good company with me :D I'm viewing this as an opportunity to experiment. If nothing good comes of it then so be it- at least i'll have learned how not to do it ;)

I'll post a little more tomorrow about my own plan / approach but i'd welcome anyone else's advice.

Yeah, we'll keep an eye to the weather and designate meeting point / times maybe on Thursday evening.

I think i've two tripods of sorts that people can borrow for the night so long as you carry it. I think xia has dibs on one so there's one more available. These just about fit the description of a tripod in that they have three legs. I wouldn't be planning on putting a 400mm lens with body and grip onto one of them - but if nothing better is at hand then they are probably better than not having anything (just don't weigh them down too much).

Thanks, I have a tripod so will bring it along. Now which lens does anyone suggest between these two ? 24-70 or 70-200

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

I would love to met up. I have never been to any of the met ups and new to night photography.

How long are people talking of staying out?

eeyore2502 wrote: »
    I would love to met up. I have never been to any of the met ups and new to night photography.

How long are people talking of staying out?

Not so long as to put ourselves in harms way - having said that there will be a certain safety in a group situation that you wouldn't have if it were just yourself (but don't let that have anyone letting their guard down).

I think I should be free at the point (sorry, the O2) or that general direction at about 6:30-ish (say 6:45) and should be in a position to wander around for about 2 - 2.5 hours but i'll work with whatever people can do or would want. To have gotten out and tried out stuff (whatever that is) will be mission accomplished for me for the evening.

Now which lens does anyone suggest between these two ? 24-70 or 70-200

if you're only bringing one lens then 24-70
    Not so long as to put ourselves in harms way - having said that there will be a certain safety in a group situation that you wouldn't have if it were just yourself (but don't let that have anyone letting their guard down).

I've shot solo in dublin city centre in the wee hours (1-2am) it's not terribly unsafe, just try to stay away from the heavily populated areas and keep your wits about you

• Advertisement

Will see how the week pans out, but hopefully will be able to make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

Well I will hopefully be in Kilarney this weekend - hope the lakes are as good as people say.

Suggestions:
    Custom House on your way back from the Point.
    Grafton Street is nice
    Four Courts
    You could try ChristChurch but I have yet to get a good photo of that at night - the lights are too low and so the top brick work looks like you are having movement - grrrrrr!

Guinness is terrible, nothing to see, then again most people won't go up there with their cameras.

Temple Bar could also be good if there are a few buskers around.

I think i've two tripods of sorts that people can borrow for the night so long as you carry it. I think xia has dibs on one so there's one more available. These just about fit the description of a tripod in that they have three legs. I wouldn't be planning on putting a 400mm lens with body and grip onto one of them - but if nothing better is at hand then they are probably better than not having anything (just don't weigh them down too much).

Thanks! Didn't realise I asked for one, thought I'll have to use walls and benches;) So it's great you'll bring some spare ones along.

Oh. And with regards to the weather: You know what to ask for (and what not to ask for...)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Guinness is terrible, nothing to see, then again most people won't go up there with their cameras.

FC4A5FCDE4924F938BB2C91982BDD1E5-500.jpg

:D Solo run.....and I mean run. Seriously though, you can do Guinness with your car nearby. I did get some funny looks from the local yokels but then I gave them some funny looks back.

So where / when are we meeting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

I wouldn't mind tagging along to this, but wont be able to confirm if im available until tomorrow afternoon.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jonathondizzle

Hanover Dock is another nice area to photograph at night and isn't too far away from the O2.

I may be free tomorrow evening to tag along on this too, depending on what time I get out of work.

Justin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Afraid im going to have to pull out.....was hoping a work thing would be happening in the afternoon to leave me in Dublin City centre in the evening but its on in the morning instead. Maybe next time

Right so - there could be a few around so i'll turn up anyhow and see how it goes;

Starting point - If ok with people and i'm being parochial here, i'm suggesting opposite the O2 (on the liffey side - where the metal statue thing "Point" is and the lightship if that's still there) as a starting point at 6:30pm. The plan being to shoot the surrounding area and departing from there for about 6:50pm. So if you are delayed then you have a little while to catch up with us.

Weather Warning (xia - I promise I didn't forecast this); from met.ie

FRIDAY NIGHT, SATURDAY, SATURDAY NIGHT, SUNDAY : Unsettled weather continuing. Heavy showers again in most areas, with a risk of hail and thunder - and the showers may merge to give some longer spells of heavy rain at times too.

So I suggest to keep an eye and if things aren't improving radically through the day then wrap up warm / rain coats / umbrellas if suitable to carry.

What shall we do / where do we go

As usual it will be reasonably free flow but here's the suggestions that i've skimmed from the thread thus far - post if i've missed anything. Also if there is any no no's in here then shout loud. Keeping out of harms way will be part of the evening's stroll around.
    • IFSC for a start
    • Haypenny bridge
    • Convention centre
    • Eircom(?) building down beside Heuston station
    • The Point if you fancy having the camera out with lots of people around
    • Ulster Bank would be brilliant if they left the lights on but they never do
    • Grand Canal Dock theatre (i think it's called that) in the docklands
    • Custom House on your way back from the Point.
    • Grafton Street is nice
    • Four Courts
    • You could try ChristChurch but I have yet to get a good photo of that at night - the lights are too low and so the top brick work looks like you are having movement - grrrrrr!
    • Temple Bar could also be good if there are a few buskers around.
    • Hanover Dock is another nice area to photograph at night and isn't too far away from the O2.

I'll do a little more work on this list during the evening if I can so check back on thread before leaving house tomorrow.

Perhaps to confirm/reaffirm your attendance please post a note to say you are going - just to get the jist of how many to expect and what size of a group we might have.

Helpful Reminder - This evening is a good time to charge your batteries.

I have one extra tripod (see earlier post) if anyone's short of one / happy to loan it for the evening - first to post gets dibs on it.

That's it for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

yeah I think I'll head along to this photo walk. Never been on one before and I've never taken any night shots

Roughly where abouts near the o2 are we talking; right beside it or across the liffey?

Heading down as well, I'll have my new shinny tri-pod ! I can bring the really crappy (I mean crap €20 -crap) tri-pod it might come in handy for someone, I also have a shutter release cable that has a few conectors that anyone could use. Canon gear 50mm f1.8 + 28-80mm 3.5-5.6.

Pennys have fingerless gloves @ €1.50 for 2 pairs well worth it :D:D

swingking wrote: »
    Roughly where abouts near the o2 are we talking; right beside it or across the liffey?

Was thinking opposite the O2 - as in opposite side of the road beside the river but still on North Wall Quay rather than across the river on Sr. John Rogersons.

Does this make sense or is there a better designated spot down there. I've only driven by in recent times so if there is a better meeting spot then someone shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I find myself surprisingly free tomorrow night.
    When & where? :D

I am almost 100% certain I will be there. Looking forward to it.
    John

I'll be there. I don't mind your weather forecast AnCatDubh;) Just put my fingerless gloves that you can convert to full gloves together with my rain gear to my camera.

I suppose you want to meet where the metal statue thing "Point" is and the lightship if that's still there. Didn't check when I passed yesterday. And 6.30 is fine with me.

Looking at your list I'm just wondering how much time you have that you even plan to go as far as Heuston Station:cool: (My last dart is at 11.30...)
    And IFSC might not be possible due to that being private and especially if we are there in a group. But they might not check on a Friday night...

• Advertisement

Ok, post #30 (the plan hatching post) has been updated with xia's description of the meeting place (where the metal statue thing "Point" is and the lightship if that's still there.)

Just on getting there, allow for transport to be disrupted as Muse are playing the o2 (which is why i'm about in the first place with the young uns).

Yeah, I think the list is a bit adventurous. We can travel as a group and see how far we get. In my mind i'm thinking up to about 2 - 2.5 hours (may depend on how wet I get) - so allow 1/2 that time going in one direction and half the time to return.

Any last minute changes can be be posted until maybe lunch (2pm) tomorrow. At that stage we'll be all set.

Quite looking forward to it now.

Again - Don't forget to charge your batteries ;)

I find myself surprisingly free tomorrow night.
    When & where? :D

Good stuff. At least this time there should be a few faces that we will recognise.

All details in post #30.

For those of us (me) who are still learning where places are the meeting place is here, right?:o

For those of us (me) who are still learning where places are the meeting place is here, right?:o

That's the one.

If any want my phone no. pm me in case you tink you are running late.

• Advertisement

Hourly Weather Report for Today

I have found this site pretty good at prediction give or take an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Boo I'm not free this evening. AnCatDubh, are you still on for Saturday?

Boo I'm not free this evening. AnCatDubh, are you still on for Saturday?

Yup - I'm back around tomorrow PM with only photography to take my fancy. I might post to the previous thread later in case there are any more about that want to meet up. But eitherways i'm around so I can meet when suits.

Ok, all set so. 6:30 this evening for the walk about people. All details in post #30. See you there.

Thank you to AnCatDubh for organising the walkabout tonight Friday. Also thanks to all who attended and made the night very enjoyable.
    John

Totally forgot about this :( had such a bad week.

Can't wait to see the pictures.

Thank you to AnCatDubh for organising the walkabout tonight Friday. Also thanks to all who attended and made the night very enjoyable.
    John

+1

And thanks for the tripod, AnCatDubh and your help, John.
    Absolutly enjoyed playing with my new toy - even though I'm still trying to defrost...:eek:

My favorite from the night, straight off the camera. Zero PP done:

B1BA9BAF9F604F6FAEA5F86A72854523-800.jpg

I was just testing a few different exposures, didn't know I had this till I got home.

Thanks for arranging a good evening AnCatDubh.

4081094773_ece5913fbc.jpg
    Camera: Nikon D700
    Exposure: 0.3
    Aperture: f/4.0
    Focal Length: 38 mm
    Focal Length: 38.9 mm
    ISO Speed: 800

4081094423_2775c25155.jpg
    Exposure: 0.125 sec (1/8)
    Aperture: f/4.0
    Focal Length: 70 mm