Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Physics/Science

Options
  • 01-11-2009 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hey All,

I'll hopefully be starting to study for a degree next September in either NUI Galway or GMIT and I would really like to do something the field of Health care/science. The thing is there are a lot of different courses to choose from and I am unsure of which area I'd like to enter. Every couple of weeks I find a different branch of study that I think could be my calling so far I have found interest in:

Medical Physics: http://www.nuigalway.ie/courses/undergraduate/courses.php?cCode=gy316&cName=Physics%20with%20Medical%20Physics

or

Medical Science: http://www.gmit.ie/science/bsc-medical-science.html

I know they are very different areas, but I am not sure in what way. I'd like to heard the opinion of people(students, professionals, etc) who know anything about these course or careers that are open to graduates from these courses. I'd like to know the day to day work of any people invovloed in these fields, job prospests or indeed any information no matter how ramdon would be appreciated.

I think the Med Science course is only one of three such courses ran in Ireland which is recognised by The Acadamy of Medical Laboratory Sciences, and thus allows the graduate to pratice as a Medical Scientist, given further training.

I am I right in thinking that after obtaining a degree in either, graduates would need to do a masters to find employment?

Many thanks in advance for your comments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

kevcos,

I know nothing about Medical Science but I'll tell you what I know about Medical Physics.

I have a BSc in Physics and an MSc in Medical Physics and work as a dosimetrist now (planning radiation treatments).

There are a three main streams for medical physicst to branch off into (although there will be overlap between some of them).
    1) Diagnosic Radiology
    2) Therapeutic Radiology
    3) Clinical Instrumentation: lasers; ventilation; ECG; endoscopy etc.

Most hospitals will have some for of medical physics presence - doing electrical safety tests on equipment, CT, x-ray and ultrasound QA etc.

I know most about the work in the therapeutic radiology area (i.e. radiation therapy). It is a very varied role, some of the jobs you would be doing are:
    • daily, weekly,monthly QA
    • checking plans produced by dosimetrists
    • checking manual calculations for treatments
    • measuring custom shielding and apertures
    • performing radiobiology calculations
    • research work
    The work is very varied ad a lot of it is in response to queries from other members of staff (Hi X, I got a diode reading that is 20% out. Can you come down and take a look?).

Realisitically you will need at least an MSc to get a job as a medical physicist. The career path in Ireland in going through a process of change right now (and least for the radiation therapy stream). Previously you got a basic grade physicist job and your training was pretty much on-the-job. Now there is a residency program that is structured with rotations through different modules. This is the only residency program outside North America to be accredited by CAMPEP. To work in America you need to sit the ABR (American Board of Radiology) exams and soon only graduates of CAMPEP residency programs will be allowed to sit those exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

Thanks very much Lonestargirl for your reply, very informative, best insight into the work of a Medical Physicists I have recevied yet!

Are there any taker's out there for a bit of info on the auld Medical Science game!
    Or indeed any thing connected with this course, I am interested in doing it next year.

Cheers

http://www.gmit.ie/science/bsc-medical-science.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Galman

Hi all,
    I just enquiring about the masters in medical physics. I was gonna apply for it this September at NUIG. It seems a very intensive course and I was just wondering how the people that completed it found it. I have a degree in experimental physics and a higher diploma in maths-physics from Maynooth University. How does the people with a heavy backgroung in physics find the biology side of things. Is it as intensive as it looks!? Oh, I found this on the web for anyone whose considering taking up the course.

http://www.findamasters.com/search/showcourse.asp?cour_id=14172

It did the course in NUIG, once you can work consistenntly throughout the year it's not too difficult. When I did it the physiology course was shared with 1st yr physios / OT, and the anatomy course was all postgrads (mostly biomedical engineers). Everyone in my class had a exp physics degree so we were all in the same boat and I don't think anyone found the biology courses a problem.

• Advertisement

Hi Lonestargirl,

I am I correct to say that you now work as a Radiation Therapist having graduated with a Physic's degree and a Master's in Medical Physic's. You also mentioned a training progam. Or did you have to study on a course such as;
    http://www.tcd.ie/courses/undergraduate/az/course.php?id=203.

I am investigating ways of entering the career of a Radiation Therapist. And as I would like to study in NUIG, and they don't do a Radiation Therapy course. I was wondering if a degree in Physic's with Medical Physic's, and then a Masters in Medical Physic's would allow entry to this field?.

No, to be a radiation therapist you will need a Radiation Therapy degree which is offered in TCD and in QUB. I work as a dosimetrist (designing treatment plans) and this profession is split roughly 50/50 between those with a Rad Therapy degree and those with a Med Phys degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭gamby

hi guys,

I'm currently applyin for the masters in medical physics in NUIG...

Im not 100% on the career prospect of the job, is there many...?

Also in the application you have to write 600 word personal statement explaining why you wish to undertake the programme of your choice and outlining how it fits into your career objectives.
    I have an interest in the topics and would possibly enjoy the carrer it would lead to... Any pointers on what kind of information i should include in the application letter ;)
    I know its prob not the most improtant part but would like to make a good impression ;)

Many Thanks
    Gamby

As I said I did the NUIG course, I didn't have to do a personal statement at the time but I did one recently for the PhD program I'm about to start. This is basically what I included (some might not apply to you):
    • why I chose to study physcis
    • what attracted me specifically to medical physics
    • how my experience has shaped my specific area of research interest
    • a demonstration of my knowledge of the job and how my personality would be suited to it
    • where I saw myself in the future and how the PhD would contribute

I gave more details of what's involved in the course in this post.

As I said I did the NUIG course, I didn't have to do a personal statement at the time but I did one recently for the PhD program I'm about to start. This is basically what I included (some might not apply to you):
    • why I chose to study physcis
    • what attracted me specifically to medical physics
    • how my experience has shaped my specific area of research interest
    • a demonstration of my knowledge of the job and how my personality would be suited to it
    • where I saw myself in the future and how the PhD would contribute

I gave more details of what's involved in the course in this post.

This is a perfect starting point for doing the application letter...
    I honestly dont think they need it but it says to attach one so i may aswell... hopefully there are places left on the course, i've left it bit late...

Really appreciate your help ;)

• Advertisement

You haven't left it late. The year I went I was originally going to do the TCD MSc and it got cancelled at the last minute. I rang Nuig and Wil said I could have a place but we start in a week!!

You haven't left it late. The year I went I was originally going to do the TCD MSc and it got cancelled at the last minute. I rang Nuig and Wil said I could have a place but we start in a week!!

I got accpeted for the masters but am still not 100% if i want to do it...
    The course looks to be very intersting but its still weather i will get a job out of it that is my main concern...

In the manual wil sent out there is bits that say :

"it should be clear however that within a one year course
    you cannot be expected to become a competent medical physicist who is able to practice independently. It is however an important step on this road. "

and

"the M.Sc. course is designed in such
    a way that it should provide for entry into existing training schemes for medical physicists, both in Ireland and in the UK."

Does this mean there are more courses i would need to do before i can even think of applying to for jobs??? and if so what are the courses...... ???

Also in the manaual it says

"In spite of the economic downturn, demand for qualified Medical Physicists in
    Ireland has remained high. This is due to several factors. Firstly there is a
    doubling of the number of Radiotherapy facilities in the country with several
    public units in Dublin being built as well as expansion of existing facilities. New
    regulations regarding protection against hazards of ionizing radiation will also
    require additional medical physicists."

How much truth is there in this... do you know any information of hospitals that will be looking for more medical physicists??

Many Thanks
    Gamby

gamby wrote: »
    Does this mean there are more courses i would need to do before i can even think of applying to for jobs??? and if so what are the courses...... ???

As I said in my post above:
    The career path in Ireland in going through a process of change right now (and least for the radiation therapy stream). Previously you got a basic grade physicist job and your training was pretty much on-the-job. Now there is a residency program that is structured with rotations through different modules. This is the only residency program outside North America to be accredited by CAMPEP. To work in America you need to sit the ABR (American Board of Radiology) exams and soon only graduates of CAMPEP residency programs will be allowed to sit those exams.
    Residency program is 2-years but it is a paid position.

gamby wrote: »
    "In spite of the economic downturn, demand for qualified Medical Physicists in
    Ireland has remained high. This is due to several factors. Firstly there is a
    doubling of the number of Radiotherapy facilities in the country with several
    public units in Dublin being built as well as expansion of existing facilities. New regulations regarding protection against hazards of ionizing radiation will also require additional medical physicists."
    Radiation oncology is going through huge expansion, there are new public centres in construction in both St. James's and Beaumont and loads more new consultants posts have been created. The current medical physics service is definetely understaffed. However, in common with all allied health professions, the first job is always the hardest one to get and you will be no use for the first few months as you get trained up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

What undergraduate courses are accepted for entry to the masters Medical Physics course, is there a list or is it just as long as you have physics? For example, would Applied Physics be acceptable, or Physics & Mathematics (i.e. it doesn't have to be pure physics, no?)

Does the NUIG undergrad physics + medical physics offer a real large advantage or would you manage fine without it?

What is the pay for medical physicists at the moment in Ireland?

Thanks! :)

jumpguy wrote: »
    What undergraduate courses are accepted for entry to the masters Medical Physics course, is there a list or is it just as long as you have physics? For example, would Applied Physics be acceptable, or Physics & Mathematics (i.e. it doesn't have to be pure physics, no?)
    They should be fine, one guy on my course had an engineering background
    Does the NUIG undergrad physics + medical physics offer a real large advantage or would you manage fine without it?
    I would say a Masters is the minimum required for getting a job.
    What is the pay for medical physicists at the moment in Ireland?
    Consolidated salary scales as of Jan 1st 2010 - they have gone down since then.
    http://www.dohc.ie/publications/salary_scales_jan2010.html

Advertisement