Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any discounts on Windows 7 for Students in Ireland?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

try to click around and keep trying diffent options etc :pac:really cant recall much on that already

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

Oh right, what number did you ring?

I might give a ring tomorrow...hopefully have windows 7 by christmas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

Anyone who was able to get this offer, what version of W7 is it... upgrade or full?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Is it possbile to do a totally clean install with the windows 7 proffesional upgrade version without doing anything dodgy like?

Im thinking of getting this: http://www.software4students.ie/Microsoft_Windows_7_Professional_64_bit_Upgrade_Edition-details.aspx

Good deal? Worth the €50?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

Thanks, I found it.

http://msdn62.e-academy.com/elms/Storefront/ViewProductDetails.aspx?campus=corkit_comp&np1=112&p=1719

Now I just have to get my password sorted :p
    How long did it take for you to downlaod? I have eircom bb @ 2.7mbps

I have a 10mb chorus connection..it didnt take too long to download.no more than an hour anyway..i remember exactly since i did it ages ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

CyberWaste wrote: »
    Is it possbile to do a totally clean install with the windows 7 proffesional upgrade version without doing anything dodgy like?

Im thinking of getting this: http://www.software4students.ie/Microsoft_Windows_7_Professional_64_bit_Upgrade_Edition-details.aspx

Good deal? Worth the €50?

Looks a bit dodgy to me from the description. None of these statments hold any weight.

"2. Windows 7 Professional edition is streets ahead of 'home premium' when it comes to networking and connecting to your online data on the move. Now you can make your life easier."

So, Microsoft intentionally cripples the TCP/IP stack to make more money? Buy it from somewhere else tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Naikon wrote: »
    Looks a bit dodgy to me from the description. None of these statments hold any weight.

"2. Windows 7 Professional edition is streets ahead of 'home premium' when it comes to networking and connecting to your online data on the move. Now you can make your life easier."

So, Microsoft intentionally cripples the TCP/IP stack to make more money? Buy it from somewhere else tbh.
    Do you mean the site is dodgy or Windows 7 Professional is? The site must be legit as my college website links to it for student software and its on the Microsoft website, musnt it?

What do you mean by the TCP/IP also? I dont get that.

CyberWaste wrote: »
    Do you mean the site is dodgy or Windows 7 Professional is? The site must be legit as my college website links to it for student software and its on the Microsoft website, musnt it?

What do you mean by the TCP/IP also? I dont get that.

Sorry, I meant the site. The description reads pretty poorly.
    The description also looks embarrassing in it's current state.

When I mentioned TCP/IP, It just came to me that the networking
    portion of Win7 must be intentionally changed to be less robust in home
    versions. A more robust stack in pro would not be a "feature" otherwise.

Stupid statments like "streets ahead of home in networking" ect just
    look unprofessional on behalf of the site. Just being picky I am:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

win7 pro lets you join a doman unlike home premium, that's probably what they're referring to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Moriarty wrote: »
    win7 pro lets you join a doman unlike home premium, that's probably what they're referring to.

No, Win-pro or ultimate lets you create a domain, unlike home premium. Home premium can join the domain, just can't create it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

TJJP wrote: »
    No, Win-pro or ultimate lets you create a domain, unlike home premium. Home premium can join the domain, just can't create it.

Everything I've read has said the 'Home' versions are unable to join a domain. Got a link to refute? :)

As far as I know, domain creation is only available via the Server editions of windows, too.. but I've never bothered to set one up, so that may be tosh :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

Where did you read this? Home versions of xp/vista or 7 cannot join domains, Pro or ultimate can join domains but not create them as only server o/s's can create domains.

Everything I've read has said the 'Home' versions are unable to join a domain. Got a link to refute? :)

As far as I know, domain creation is only available via the Server editions of windows, too.. but I've never bothered to set one up, so that may be tosh :)

Thank goodness FreeBSD does not impose this limitation eh?:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Home can't join a domain , otherwise corporate users could save a lot on licenses.

It can access file and printer shares on the domain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

Has anyone been able to get there details verified for this offer? (by this I mean anyone who's college email was not accepted by the site and required further verification)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

'Home' versions are unable to join a domain.
    jamesd wrote: »
    Home versions of xp/vista or 7 cannot join domains
    Home can't join a domain

Sorry folks, you're right of course, I was getting my workgroups and domains confused, rookie mistake I know. Above three are all correct, apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Update from the OP;
    I started this thread hoping to get a cost-effective outcome, but as we all know by now some of the sites listed in this thread either:

1. Don't work/look dodgy.
    2. Information is not clear about whether they support Irish colleges for definite.
    3. Poor service, I've sent two emails to two different websites/offers and have yet to get a reply.

4. MSDN Academic Alliance - I did not try this but it might be worth an email to your Computing/IT Department Head to see if you and your college qualifies for an account. (Free Windows 7 Pro only)

<snip>

Dave6195 wrote: »
    I had been to that site already but was having problem verfying my college email address. I had even filled out the forms to try and verify it but had gotten no response after 2 to 3 weeks. I rang them today and told them this and now I should get a email confirmation within 2 days.

Btw for what it's worth the person I was talking to on the phone checked and it seemed they had no record of my attempts to verify my email address, from the methods which are provided through the student offer site. I would suggest to anyone who is waiting on email address verification not to wait the two weeks and ring them.
    Where did you get the number to ring them? All I can find is a customer service form for contacting them - no number!

seraphimvc wrote: »
    http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/studentoffer/

go there,say yes,key in your college email address.

i am a ucd student and my address works :D got my win7 pro for 30pounds few days ago.make the files to iso,burn it to dvd.wolla!

absolutely a steal for that price!!

p/s:you can choose the pro version on the buying page,look down there is a small line saying do you need student domain access etc ,choose that and you will be directed to Pro version.the Xp Mode in win7 pro or above version is what made me pay my money.
    Agh! Pulling my hair out - I've clicked around, checked FAQs and customer service, and I can't see any way of buying this if your billing address is not in Great Britain. Maybe you just fill out everything else with the Irish details and leave Great Britain in the country section????? Oh well :( was hoping to have a nice shiny new Windows 7 Pro 64 bit installed before college starts back - offer ends on the 5th. I don't know how you did it you jammy so-and-so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭DarrenMSP

Folks, I might be able to help, but I am unable to follow the thread as it is all over the place. So if they has been said, sorry.

For students in Ireland looking to buy a discounted and legal copy of Windows 7, you go to http://www.software4students.ie/Operating_System_Software-list.aspx, there you can get either Professional or Ultimate. The deal is only on Upgrade copies of Windows 7.

The prices are:
    Windows 7 Professional 32 or 64-bit Upgrade Student Price: €49.95
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32 or 64-bit Upgrade Student Price: €118.45

But I'm confused to why people are trying to buy from an English site?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭tomdadude

DarrenMSP wrote: »
    Folks, I might be able to help, but I am unable to follow the thread as it is all over the place. So if they has been said, sorry.

For students in Ireland looking to buy a discounted and legal copy of Windows 7, you go to http://www.software4students.ie/Operating_System_Software-list.aspx, there you can get either Professional or Ultimate. The deal is only on Upgrade copies of Windows 7.

The prices are:
    Windows 7 Professional 32 or 64-bit Upgrade Student Price: €49.95
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32 or 64-bit Upgrade Student Price: €118.45

But I'm confused to why people are trying to buy from an English site?!

If you looked at the prices you'd know very quickly why.

Also the website accepts Irish university email addresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭DarrenMSP

tomdadude wrote: »
    If you looked at the prices you'd know very quickly why. Also the website accepts Irish university email addresses.

Which site? http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/studentoffer/ says deal is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭merlin39

get on to the computer services center in the college and they will sign you up. theres loads of free stuff, 7, xp etc. some are installers and some are iso's

Advertisement