Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad Max: Fury Road

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,287 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sounds like the Blu-Ray will be worth the purchase then. I like the idea of the silent version with only the music.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The black & white version of The Mist is great, and really adds a lot of atmosphere to the tension and mood of the film compared to the colour version, so I'm happy to take it as a given that the same will be true of Fury Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Mangiare wrote: »
    Is this movie a reboot?
    No, it's more a loose sequel (which even The Road Warrior was) really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Fysh wrote: »
    The black & white version of The Mist is great, and really adds a lot of atmosphere to the tension and mood of the film compared to the colour version, so I'm happy to take it as a given that the same will be true of Fury Road.

The Mist in B&W raised it from been a good movie to been an excellent one, absolutely love it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Saw it for a 3rd time in the Imax in Cineworld, still fecking awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

ktulu123 wrote: »

I really need to get my ass in gear and watch it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭Joeface

so its officially a success now in the making , Budget $150million , current box office takings $220million

Joeface wrote: »
    so its officially a success now in the making , Budget $150million , current box office takings $220million

It'll need to break $300 million to really be considered a success, there was a pretty extensive marketing campaign for the film so even then it may not have made back it's budget. The good thing is that it's performing well and continues to do good thanks to great word of mouth and it's the kind of film that will be a hit on home media.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

ktulu123 wrote: »

Is it worth seeing in IMAX 3d?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Thargor wrote: »
    Was there any explanation in the extra material that's been released for how he got another V8 Interceptor?

Just one comic out so far which deals with Immortan Joe and Nux...the Max story won't be out for a few weeks. But as the other poster said, it's the same car. Probably the only disappointing thing about Fury Road for me was the lack of Interceptor action but fingers crossed for the next film. The V8 roaring through the outback is one of the most iconic and coolest sights in cinematic history...we need to see it again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Just one comic out so far which deals with Immortan Joe and Nux...the Max story won't be out for a few weeks. But as the other poster said, it's the same car. Probably the only disappointing thing about Fury Road for me was the lack of Interceptor action but fingers crossed for the next film. The V8 roaring through the outback is one of the most iconic and coolest sights in cinematic history...we need to see it again!
    didnt the interceptor get destroyed in this film? around the time the guys in the pole vault type things were attacking?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

It'll need to break $300 million to really be considered a success, there was a pretty extensive marketing campaign for the film so even then it may not have made back it's budget. The good thing is that it's performing well and continues to do good thanks to great word of mouth and it's the kind of film that will be a hit on home media.

220 million in two weeks for a r/15 rated film is great stuff. Into its third week, its getting more showings now in Cineworld which is a good sign of how well its doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

didnt the interceptor get destroyed in this film? around the time the guys in the pole vault type things were attacking?

I have no idea. I'll pay closer attention on my next viewing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Really loved this film.

It had so many crazy elements that on paper you'd think would come across as silly and naff, but on the screen just worked perfectly.

I had to laugh in excitement when I saw the flame-throwing guitar guy. Wow. Who expected that one? It just perfectly fits into this crazy world and really makes you feel the madness and of it all.

During the chase a guy gets shot through the head with an arrow and you think he's about keel over and die, but instead he huffs a load of spray paint, starts going nuts, yells something inaudible, grabs a bomb on a stick and dives straight into a car. Brilliant.

Then there is this clip which for me encapsulates the enthralling sense of insanity that permeates the film:

What a lovely day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Brilliant movie!! This film never lets up from start to finish.

Loved the 2 to 3 changes between different scenes where the screen goes completely black for a few seconds, the whole cinema was completely silent every time! Probably down to the ringing in everyone's ears.

Although he had very few lines, Tom Hardy was great as Max. I expect he'll develop a lot more over the next 2 films.

Great to see the Interceptor make an appearance again. That and Hugh Keays-Byrne as Immortan Joe was enough of a link to the first film to make me happy!

I had a number of small issues with the film but that's just me being a silly pedantic Mad Max fan.

Bring on the next one!
    Deisler wrote: »
    Is it worth seeing in IMAX 3d?

Would like to hear peoples opinion on this too. Am not a fan of 3D at all, always stick to 2D where possible. However, I'm starting to think that if I don't see it in 3D Imax I may regret it for the rest of my life!

Brilliant movie!!

did you buy your user name or change it for your POST :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,448 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Yes it does as max points to it and says that's mine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

What were they spitting into the air intakes of the cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Primitive way of injecting nitro, works in real life aswell.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,287 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thargor wrote: »
    Primitive way of injecting nitro, works in real life aswell.

I found that part laugh out loud funny, the way they kept looking over at each other between spits killed me.

• Advertisement

Not Nitro, Probably Methanol or something similar , has a "lower" octane level I think . Nitro Is a compressed gas would probably freeze their jaw off if in liquid form :D

(corrected ...lower octane = more power )

could be E85 or something with a lower octane number. higher octane would have less power. you're right that nitrous would freeze their jaw, google says its liquid at -80 degrees. maybe the spray paint could help not freeze your tongue out

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Standman wrote: »
    During the chase a guy gets shot through the head with an arrow and you think he's about keel over and die, but instead he huffs a load of spray paint, starts going nuts, yells something inaudible, grabs a bomb on a stick and dives straight into a car. Brilliant.

He shouts "Witness me", and the best part is that all the warboys do exactly that, they are cheering him on and desperately want him to get that glorious death that according to their crazy beliefs will allow him access to Valhalla. Then when he does it they are all delighted!

The little details about the warboys are fantastic, instead of faceless mooks like in the Avengers we get these fascinating characters and it really makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

could be E85 or something with a lower octane number. higher octane would have less power. you're right that nitrous would freeze their jaw, google says its liquid at -80 degrees. maybe the spray paint could help not freeze your tongue out

I think ye're overthinking this lads, if the accelerator is flat to the floor, the amount of fuel being delivered to the combustion chamber is limited by the max flow that can go through either the carbs or fuel injectors. so if you add fuel to the air coming in = bigger bang.

yeah definitely overthinking it, I suppose with the super charger air isn't the limiting factor and it would just be more fuel needed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The more I've thought of this movie, the more it defies sense in terms of conventional Hollywood logic: it feels a little nuts that a studio would give over 150 million dollars to a 70 year-old director with a slim CV bolstered by kids films, to make a practical-effects driven blockbuster with no actual, written script and the bare minimum of dialogue (most of it not even remotely expository). Heck the titular character isn't even the lead, just a blow-in really.

Throw in incidents like the original location being destroyed (Fury Road was originally to be filmed in Australia, but rains flooded out the desert sets and delayed shooting by a year) and supposed bust-ups with Hardy, and you'd almost forgive the studio for bringing in a Brett Ratner / John Moore hack in a panic to finish the film. I wonder does Miller know where the bodies are buried or something, because when I read about Marvel sacking Edgar Wright or other studios' general behavior, it doesn't tally with Fury Road at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

I enjoyed the action in this movie like the exploding spear things and the car chases and general action scenes were very good.

But as for a seemingly absent story line, I struggled to really take anything from the movie haha

Seen this last night. Have to say, I don't really think it's for me. It was definitely a film that was quick to get moving, but it started to feel very 'samey' after about the first 30 minutes. There was a lot of action going on, but it was the same kind of thing over and over.

Despite getting off to a good start, it slowly turned into the kind of film where I was just waiting for it to end.

I've seen bits and pieces of the Mad Max films, but never really sat down and watched any of them from start to end (except this, of course), so maybe it's just wasted on me, but I fell out of love with it fairly swiftly.

the pregnant girl holding onto the exhaust pipe before she fell was pretty funny, she didn't notice that it was a few hundred degrees celcius

I really wish they had toned down the ADR of hardys groans and grunts, when all was quiet it was just grumble grumble to fill up the dead air.
    Also the fact that he grumbled for the first 30 minutes almost seeming like he had no english/ any language from being alone for so long (bar the voice over). Then the mask comes off and he's actually got a normal level of english but basically says nothing of any use outside of his plan for them to turn back.

also the line
    "She's hurt; bad." when talking about furiosa getting stabbed
    was just cringy and really showed how bad the script was.

On the numerous fades to black I was expecting the film to just end as it just felt like they ran out of story and just kept tacking bits on to make the film longer.

It was well shot, well lit, and the action was very good, but the complete lack of character development and unengaging storyline pushed it down from an 8/10 film to somewhere around a 6/10. If I had bought an extra large box of popcorn a large coke and had done some hard drugs beforehand it would probably have been a lot better but apart from watching the black and white cut when it comes out on bluray I wouldn't really be bothered to watch the film again. wouldn't pay 6 euro to see it again anyway.

It's just another film where one or two sentences could have saved them 40 minutes.
    when max sees the girls beside the tanker for the first time, all it would take is a hello I'm furiosa I saw they had you tied to the front of the car, we are escaping because they did pretty mean stuff to us too

agree with kkv I was waiting for it to end and it was very samey

• Advertisement

the pregnant girl holding onto the exhaust pipe before she fell was pretty funny, she didn't notice that it was a few hundred degrees celcius

I really wish they had toned down the ADR of hardys groans and grunts, when all was quiet it was just grumble grumble to fill up the dead air.
    Also the fact that he grumbled for the first 30 minutes almost seeming like he had no english/ any language from being alone for so long (bar the voice over). Then the mask comes off and he's actually got a normal level of english but basically says nothing of any use outside of his plan for them to turn back.

also the line
    "She's hurt; bad." when talking about furiosa getting stabbed
    was just cringy and really showed how bad the script was.

On the numerous fades to black I was expecting the film to just end as it just felt like they ran out of story and just kept tacking bits on to make the film longer.

It was well shot, well lit, and the action was very good, but the complete lack of character development and unengaging storyline pushed it down from an 8/10 film to somewhere around a 6/10. If I had bought an extra large box of popcorn a large coke and had done some hard drugs beforehand it would probably have been a lot better but apart from watching the black and white cut when it comes out on bluray I wouldn't really be bothered to watch the film again. wouldn't pay 6 euro to see it again anyway.

It's just another film where one or two sentences could have saved them 40 minutes.
    when max sees the girls beside the tanker for the first time, all it would take is a hello I'm furiosa I saw they had you tied to the front of the car, we are escaping because they did pretty mean stuff to us too

agree with kkv I was waiting for it to end and it was very samey

Very happy you're not a scriptwriter!

:pac:

Advertisement