Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad Max: Fury Road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Thargor wrote: »
    I cant think of anything more pointless than a B&W version of this tbh, or a B&W version of any film that was originally released in colour.
    It's for all the cult hipster crowd, you know the ones who say, "oh b&w is so much better as the colour doesn't distract you from the acting and subject matter" the same crowd who frown upon mp3's and "love the crackle of vinyl" god help us all.
    Would you just go away and grow a beard and knit a jumper out of hemp and sell some artisan bread at a farmer's market.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,287 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It worked well with The Mist, maybe that was just my beard though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Surely VLC or MPC players can do a black and white filter anyway...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Creating a proper black & white version is not a matter of using automated software to drain it of colour, job done. It's about going back over each and every frame and properly adjusting it to the new look. A full re-grading would I'd say pretty much be a pre-requisite if they wanted to do it.

Black & white photography does have a major impact on the look and feel of a film - from the way lighting / shadows is represented to what is given prominence in any particular composition (without colour our eyes may naturally be directed elsewhere). And there is without a doubt that b&w has that unquestionably different mood and connotations to it. It'd be at the very least an interesting experiment to see Fury Road in black & white - the night-time scenes in particular would be curious to see sapped of their blue hue.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭padraig.od

It's for all the cult hipster crowd, you know the ones who say, "oh b&w is so much better as the colour doesn't distract you from the acting and subject matter" the same crowd who frown upon mp3's and "love the crackle of vinyl" god help us all.
    Would you just go away and grow a beard and knit a jumper out of hemp and sell some artisan bread at a farmer's market.

that sounds great. Hemp jumper would keep me warm all winter.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,287 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Creating a proper black & white version is not a matter of using automated software to drain it of colour, job done. It's about going back over each and every frame and properly adjusting it to the new look. A full re-grading would I'd say pretty much be a pre-requisite if they wanted to do it.

Black & white photography does have a major impact on the look and feel of a film - from the way lighting / shadows is represented to what is given prominence in any particular composition (without colour our eyes may naturally be directed elsewhere). And there is without a doubt that b&w has that unquestionably different mood and connotations to it. It'd be at the very least an interesting experiment to see Fury Road in black & white - the night-time scenes in particular would be curious to see sapped of their blue hue.

The B&W version of Fury Road is supposed to be silent too afaik. Miller is on record saying something along the lines of the best version of the film is in B&W but that majority of cinema goers would write it off as an "art film" if it had been released that way.

Is there anything worse than someone who writes off a director's original vision as hipster nonsense? Shooting for B&W is far more difficult than most assume and it's not just a case of playing around with a few filters in post. As has been mentioned already, doing the B&W version would have been a long and difficult process that would most likely have taken considerably more time than perfecting the theatrical version. When you present a film in B&W it's a whole new experience and can really let a film soar, The Mist is the perfect example of this. In colour the creature FXs looks a little clumsy and cartoonish, they lack the sense of menace that some of the CGI FXs manage which is startling as practical FX is generally leagues ahead of CGI. When viewed in B&W, as the director intended these practical FXs take on a life of their own and work so much better. They have a genuine presence that evokes the creature features of the 60s, again as the director intended. The B&W in The Mist leads to a much different and stronger film, the night time scenes take on a sense of menace and foreboding much greater than the colour version and it's actually startling just how different a film it is. I would love to see the B&W version of Fury Road, what few stills I've seen from it look great and it is the director's preferred version which does not mean that it's better but rather it's different.

Can i just say that i wasn't aiming my hipster post at anyone here in particular but at the general too cool for school hipster movement that is so "in" at the moment.

Which is kind of a contradiction in itself, trying to be so niche while doing so makes you part of a popular scene?

Anyway i didn't enjoy the colour version so maybe I'll give the B&W another go when it comes out.

Is there anything worse than someone who writes off a director's original vision as hipster nonsense?
    Ya, Peadophiles and rapists.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It worked well with The Mist, maybe that was just my beard though.

The Mist was a throwback to B&W horror flicks though AND the lack of colour masked the budget limitations on the special effects.

Max is a vibrantly coloured oversaturated assault on the eyes, much like its audio on the ears, and is all the better for it

• Advertisement

Is there anything worse than someone who writes off a director's original vision as hipster nonsense? Shooting for B&W is far more difficult than most assume and it's not just a case of playing around with a few filters in post. As has been mentioned already, doing the B&W version would have been a long and difficult process that would most likely have taken considerably more time than perfecting the theatrical version. When you present a film in B&W it's a whole new experience and can really let a film soar, The Mist is the perfect example of this. In colour the creature FXs looks a little clumsy and cartoonish, they lack the sense of menace that some of the CGI FXs manage which is startling as practical FX is generally leagues ahead of CGI. When viewed in B&W, as the director intended these practical FXs take on a life of their own and work so much better. They have a genuine presence that evokes the creature features of the 60s, again as the director intended. The B&W in The Mist leads to a much different and stronger film, the night time scenes take on a sense of menace and foreboding much greater than the colour version and it's actually startling just how different a film it is. I would love to see the B&W version of Fury Road, what few stills I've seen from it look great and it is the director's preferred version which does not mean that it's better but rather it's different.

I can not see how Fury Road would lend itslef to B&W at all, it's too much of a balls to the wall spectacle. Now the original Max? That's one that would be awesome

The Mist was a throwback to B&W horror flicks though AND the lack of colour masked the budget limitations on the special effects.

Max is a vibrantly coloured oversaturated assault on the eyes, much like its audio on the ears, and is all the better for it

Yeah I get that, though the idea of a B&W silent version still appeals to me, even just out of curiosity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I could see it working, even watching it in IMAX the lack of overt dialog and very visual means of telling the story felt like a throwback to an older form of cinema to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Looking forward to watching it again hopefully on blu ray this w/end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

rednik wrote: »
    Looking forward to watching it again hopefully on blu ray this w/end.

When is it out to buy? Is it in the shops are does one have to order online? I didn't think it was out until 1st of the next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

When is it out to buy? Is it in the shops are does one have to order online? I didn't think it was out until 1st of the next month.

I ordered from Amazon.it last week and it was posted at the w/end.

http://www.amazon.it/Mad-Max-Fury-Tom-Hardy/dp/B00X5XAY5A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441725057&sr=8-1&keywords=mad+max+fury+road

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bikeresearcher

I found it disappointing. Tom Hardy ain't no Mel Gibson and the insertion of Charlize Theron was pointless and cynical. No idea what her character was doing there. Visually stunning, excellent cinematography etc etc....but ultimately boring.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

I found it disappointing. Tom Hardy ain't no Mel Gibson and the insertion of Charlize Theron was pointless and cynical. No idea what her character was doing there. Visually stunning, excellent cinematography etc etc....but ultimately boring.

You are just wrong.

hahaha...well I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I know many people who loved it. Just left me wanting to be somewhere else.

Fair enough you didn't like the film but saying Theron's character was pointless is a bit odd considering she's the most integral character to the entire plot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

the insertion of Charlize Theron was pointless and cynical. No idea what her character was doing there.

She's the protagonist in the film.

I'm a fan of the original Mad Max series. For me this was essentially a remake of Mad Max 2 with Theron's role added to the story line largely because she's a big draw. I thought she didn't add very much to it...although having said that Hardy was appalling so maybe it would have been worse without her. Biggest problem for me was the lack of depth in any of the characters. Very hard to care one way or another what happens to them. Gibson didn't have much dialogue but somehow managed to create a much more interesting presence.

Theron's character is literally the emotional and thematic throughline of the movie. Remove her and you'd pretty much have what this film's naysayers reductively view as "just 2 hours of explosions".

Hell without Furiosa there to be the catalyst for the film's action it would be just Tom Hardy upside down in a cave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I'm a fan of the original Mad Max series. For me this was essentially a remake of Mad Max 2 with Theron's role added to the story line largely because she's a big draw. I thought she didn't add very much to it...although having said that Hardy was appalling so maybe it would have been worse without her. Biggest problem for me was the lack of depth in any of the characters. Very hard to care one way or another what happens to them. Gibson didn't have much dialogue but somehow managed to create a much more interesting presence.

I am a fan of both the old series and the new film. I agree that a lot of the new film is very like the second Mad Max with a bit of the third one in there too. With that in mind, it does to me fit nicely with the older films. The chase scenes and Immortan Joe's character echoe the second film and the fight scenes and the Citadel evoke the Thunderdome and Bartertown.

I think the next Mad Max about the backstory of Max and Immortan Joe will be the character development one! Fury Road had more character development actually than one thinks if one looks for it! But essentially this is a great action film akin to the second Mad Max. Perhaps, a montage of the events leading up to the apocalypse akin to the second film and a recap of what Max did since (including key scenes from the first 3 movies) would have been nice.

the next film will not be a prequel. Theres no need for it. As Max would see, well, you keep moving :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

e_e wrote: »
    Hell without Furiosa there to be the catalyst for the film's action it would be just Tom Hardy upside down in a cave.

Probably still be pretty good though.

BMMachine wrote: »
    the next film will not be a prequel. Theres no need for it. As Max would see, well, you keep moving :)

I would actually like to know what happened between Max 1 & 2
    Went from struggling civilisation to total anarchy

no need I think. Nukes went off, everyone died, anarchy reigned.
    They should keep the momentum going. Absolutely no need to go backwards, we've been there. I want to know where Max goes after he leaves the citadel

• Advertisement

BMMachine wrote: »
    You are just wrong.

It would be a very boring world if everyone were to enjoy the same things in life.
    An opinion can't be wrong.

Advertisement