Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad Max: Fury Road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

It would be a very boring world if everyone were to enjoy the same things in life.
    An opinion can't be wrong.

Of course it can. If I'm of the opinion that the sun is made of chocolate then my opinion is wrong.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

It would be a very boring world if everyone were to enjoy the same things in life.

I honestly believe that people can be terrible at liking things

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Hitler was of the opinion that jews were inferior, was his opinion wrong?

Kev W wrote: »
    Of course it can. If I'm of the opinion that the sun is made of chocolate then my opinion is wrong.

This is the bad.

Opinions should be based on something not wild speculation.

I found it disappointing. Tom Hardy ain't no Mel Gibson and the insertion of Charlize Theron was pointless and cynical. No idea what her character was doing there. Visually stunning, excellent cinematography etc etc....but ultimately boring.

I'm curious what you mean by "pointless and cynical".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Hitler was of the opinion that jews were inferior, was his opinion wrong?

His opinion wasn't the problem, what he did about it was.

TherapyBoy wrote: »

And the facts, which he based his mental opinion on, were most definitely incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

That doesn't answer my question at all.

Was his opinion wrong?

And the facts, which he based his mental opinion on, were most definitely incorrect

Facts don't mean anything regarding an opinion.

If in my opinion Mad Max is the worst film ever that's all it is, my opinion. It doesn't make it a fact no matter how much I think it. It's completely subjective & personal. The problems start when I start calling someone an idiot or something because they have a different opinion. My opinion only becomes a problem when it affects other people in some way. It's ok to disagree about whether a film is good or not, but no matter how much you argue it'll never be a fact.

I thought Mad Max was a pretty good film btw.

That doesn't answer my question at all.

Was his opinion wrong?

To who? To me, yes his opinion was wrong. But that's just my opinion :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

How about that Mad Max film then, eh?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,287 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »

I liked the bit with Hitler.

Facts don't mean anything regarding an opinion.

If in my opinion Mad Max is the worst film ever that's all it is, my opinion. It doesn't make it a fact no matter how much I think it. It's completely subjective & personal. The problems start when I start calling someone an idiot or something because they have a different opinion. My opinion only becomes a problem when it affects other people in some way. It's ok to disagree about whether a film is good or not, but no matter how much you argue it'll never be a fact.

I thought Mad Max was a pretty good film btw.

You need to be able to justify an opinion

Do people actually hate Hardy in the role?

Do people actually hate Hardy in the role?

no hes perfect. other opinions on the matter are incorrect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 710 ✭✭✭omnithanos

I thought it was excellent. My film of the year thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

pixelburp wrote: »

How's the legroom there in the backseat?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

How's the legroom there in the backseat?

Quite roomy thanks, but if you think people debating the concept of opinions and bringing up Hitler is adding to the discussion, then I guess we ain't going to agree here the thread has got a little derailed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

You need to be able to justify an opinion
    Agreed on this part at least, in the "films everybody love that you hated" thread was a little disappointed at all the posts that said nothing except "sh1te", "boring" etc for instance.

I do think the argument that Theron was pointless and just added because she's a draw was really reductive and close to being outright wrong tbh. In that case you'd think they'd have gotten a huge star like Jennifer Laurence , not somebody who has never really opened a film big and is more known for great character work. On the argument too that there's no depth to the characters have any of the side characters in the other movies really been played and written with as much pathos and depth as Furiosa?

Besides the only point in the whole series where Max is the focus is in the last 20 minutes of the first movie, whenever I see complaints about Max's presence (despite being in every single scene and constantly active within the story) in the film I'm left scratching my head wondering if they've even seen Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome. He's basically a wanderer who falls into other people's stories and helps in their struggles. As another poster said perfectly in this thread, he's the fly in the ointment.

e_e wrote: »
    Besides the only point in the whole series where Max is the focus is in the last 20 minutes of the first movie, whenever I see complaints about Max's presence (despite being in every single scene and constantly active within the story) in the film I'm left scratching my head wondering if they've even seen Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome. He's basically a wanderer who falls into other people's stories and helps in their struggles. As another poster said perfectly in this thread, he's the fly in the ointment.

this. it absolutely does my head in when people are like "hurr durr max isnt even the main character". And now, because its the internet where the 'accepted line' is king, theres this massive misconception that max is the secondary character and whatnot. Him and Furiosa are pretty much equals and then Nux and Joe are below that with the wives. and the worst thing, the very worst thing, people use that line as if theres something wrong with the film even if it were true. As I said earlier, people can be really bad at judging things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

e_e wrote: »
    Agreed on this part at least, in the "films everybody love that you hated" thread was a little disappointed at all the posts that said nothing except "sh1te", "boring" etc for instance.

I do think the argument that Theron was pointless and just added because she's a draw was really reductive and close to being outright wrong tbh. In that case you'd think they'd have gotten a huge star like Jennifer Laurence , not somebody who has never really opened a film big and is more known for great character work. On the argument too that there's no depth to the characters have any of the side characters in the other movies really been played and written with as much pathos and depth as Furiosa?

Max is a character who is derived from the Western film. He is like those characters such as Chris of the Magnificent Seven, Shane, or Munney from Unforgiven: at first, a reluctant guy out for himself and then someone who takes risks to help others. That's what we have in Road Warrior, Beyond Thunderdome and Fury Road. The link to classic Westerns does not go unnoticed as Max is once introduced as The Man With No Name, which is a reference to another Max like character from 3 Clint Eastwood films.

What Max did in the climaxes of Road Warrior, Beyond Thunderdome and Fury Road was for others and he sacrificed himself to do so. In the first Mad Max, we have him killing all the biker gangs for his own personal reasons but again hardly for himself but for justice for his beloved family. Max's initial actions in the latter 3 films (inclusive of going in battle with Humungus and agreeing to fight in the Thunderdome) which lead him into the greater causes were self motived and usually about getting fuel or vehicles.

BMMachine wrote: »
    this. it absolutely does my head in when people are like "hurr durr max isnt even the main character". And now, because its the internet where the 'accepted line' is king, theres this massive misconception that max is the secondary character and whatnot. Him and Furiosa are pretty much equals and then Nux and Joe are below that with the wives. and the worst thing, the very worst thing, people use that line as if theres something wrong with the film even if it were true. As I said earlier, people can be really bad at judging things.

I think the same: Max and Furiosa are about equal and are partners against their enemy. Nux and Joe are the next biggest and then the wives and then the Bullet Farmer and others.

Max is in most of the scenes of this film actually. This was the same in Thunderdome and Road Warrior too. All 3 films are a story of Max minding his own business and then getting attacked by someone and leading him to a series of adventures that lead him into doing a greater good. Characters like Furiosa, Nux, Joe, the pilot characters, Aunty, Savannah, Ironbar, Papagallo, Humngus and Wez all provided the good, bad and sometimes mixed characters who made the stories.

The first Mad Max actually had the least Max in it and this was due to the story it was telling. The first scenes had to show how the rest of the cops were not able to cope with the Nighrider. Other scenes had to show the violence and dominance of the gang over remote towns. Another substory was that of the bikers and Goose and their war with Goose's violent end. That probably meant that a third or so of the film was not inclusive of Max but had to be there to set up what Max was fighting against.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭fartingforfun

omnithanos wrote: »
    I thought it was excellent. My film of the year thus far.

You must not have watched many films this year than.
    Seriously over rated. It is no more that OK , no way near a masterpiece some believe it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

You must not have watched many films this year than.
    Seriously over rated. It is no more that OK , no way near a masterpiece some believe it to be.

Once again in your opinion its not. In many others it is including mine.

I go to the cinema two to three times a week, and for me it's my film of the year too. No messing about balls to the wall action film that Hollywood seemed to forget how to make.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭fartingforfun

Looper007 wrote: »
    Once again in your opinion its not. In many others it is including mine.

I go to the cinema two to three times a week, and for me it's my film of the year too. No messing about balls to the wall action film that Hollywood seemed to forget how to make.

Well there is your problem, going to the cinema 2/3 times a week, watching Hollywood PG-13 crap pretending to be balls to the wall action movies.
    For real Balls to the wall action, check out The Raid: Redemption, once the action starts it don't stop.

Well there is your problem, going to the cinema 2/3 times a week, watching Hollywood PG-13 crap pretending to be balls to the wall action movies.
    For real Balls to the wall action, check out The Raid: Redemption, once the action starts it don't stop.

Way to go deep with the underground indie recommendation.

Hey, have you seen The Matrix?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

We (3 of us) left the cinema very dissapointed, after all the waiting ...without Gibson it wasnt Mad Max...it was just another action movie with a very poor lead man, Theron was good in her role, if Hardy had been killed off it wouldnt have been a bad thing...and the "virgins" was totally pointless...should have been called just"Fury road"....

MM is dead...long live MM.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Kev W wrote: »
    Way to go deep with the underground indie recommendation.

Hey, have you seen The Matrix?

He's right though, if you think Mad Max was an amazing action film (it was pretty good but not particularly great) you've had your idea of what a great action film is warped by all that Marvel stuff thats constantly out

It is hard to know what people want from or how people define a great action movie. To me, Tom Hardy did a good job as Max as did Mel and both the old films and the new one were excellent and the new installment did what it said on the tin.

A good action film could well be Rambo 2, 3 and 4 for some?? Or all them Chuck Norris ones for others? Or the entire Death Wish series for yet another. Yes, some of these are blatant propaganda (Rambo, some of Norris') or the same film made over and over (DW sequels) but they ALL do what they say on the tin: if you want the one man army going after the baddies, then ALL of these are for you!!!!

Personally, I think the Mad Max series are more intelligent than the above and it has done different things with its sequels. They are great action films but they also have many other messages. Fury Road is a proper Mad Max film and it is not one of those copycat apocalyptic flicks that emerged after Road Warrior.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

As a person who banged on about how excellent The Raid Redemption was on these boards... this is better.

...and no I'm not weaned on PG13 stuff either as farting's (ahem) post condescendingly assumed about people who like the movie. I'd be curious as to what their films of the year are in comparison to this.

Advertisement