Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad Max: Fury Road

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

"Get Tom Hardy to star, he's popular at the moment.
    Car chases always go down well, put a few of them in there.
    Get a few good looking girls with very little clothes on, put them in the movie.
    Mix in a bit of violence.
    This will do gang busters with the teenage male virgins."
    This is the exact pitch made to the hollywood executives, and they where not wrong.

Sounds like the script for a great Movie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Alright, that’s enough. fartingforfun, you’ve made your point. Generalised attacks aimed at people who disagree with you are against the charter of this forum, which I would encourage you to read. Any questions about this, pm me, don’t reply in thread.

Anyone who wishes to continue this debate with fartingforfun can do so via pm, thanks.

Now back on topic.

2 men enter! 1 man leaves!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Caught this on Blu ray ( and you really need Blu ray to catch the rich detail ). its a riot from start to finish. The landscape scenes are stunning and the action is unending. Unfortunately Tom Hardy grunts his way through the whole movie and you never build up the same empathy as you did for Mel Gibson. Seven out of Ten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

tumblr_nvibdpPJZD1r0rc61o5_540.png
    tumblr_nvibdpPJZD1r0rc61o2_540.png
    tumblr_nvibdpPJZD1r0rc61o3_540.png
    tumblr_nvibdpPJZD1r0rc61o4_540.png
    tumblr_inline_nvibn4HyHC1qln6pc_540.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

recipio wrote: »
    Caught this on Blu ray ( and you really need Blu ray to catch the rich detail ). its a riot from start to finish. The landscape scenes are stunning and the action is unending. Unfortunately Tom Hardy grunts his way through the whole movie and you never build up the same empathy as you did for Mel Gibson. Seven out of Ten.

I was going to comment something similar. I saw the Blu ray last night... incredible colours and scenes.
    Tom Hardy is a better actor than just grunting though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,406 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

just watching it now. Stunning landscape just not enough plot , there was no buildup as to why they are doing the road trip so dont really care about any of the characters. For a movie that cost $150m you would think they would have tied it together a bit better

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Anyone watch the Madness of Max documentary on the Anthology Blu-ray? I thought it was fascinating. Very old school in its style but it absolutely suited the subject matter. Some great anecdotes in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

silverharp wrote: »
    just watching it now. Stunning landscape just not enough plot , there was no buildup as to why they are doing the road trip so dont really care about any of the characters. For a movie that cost $150m you would think they would have tied it together a bit better

I thought it was obvious enough, the women were sick of riding a disgusting thing like immortian joe and wanted to get away from him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

"Years after the collapse of civilization, the tyrannical Immortan Joe enslaves apocalypse survivors inside the desert fortress the Citadel. When the warrior Imperator Furiosa (Charlize Theron) leads the despot's five wives in a daring escape, she forges an alliance with Max Rockatansky (Tom Hardy), a loner and former captive. Fortified in the massive, armored truck the War Rig, they try to outrun the ruthless warlord and his henchmen in a deadly high-speed chase through the Wasteland."

What are you looking for a War and Peace like epic with tome. The plot is simple and too the point.

why they are doing the road trip
    In one image:
    tumblr_nqfkhmGHv81qzco77o1_500.gif

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

could you dumb it down a shade?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That was the one thing that annoyed me about this film, getting supermodels to play the "breeders". If they'd used normal looking women that were just prized for their lack of mutations it would have fit way better and would have been a story you could empathise with, the supermodels were totally immersion breaking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think the relative 'beauty' of the breeders was a little bit silly all right, but by all accounts there was nothing else 'normal' about the film, everything was painted so heavily in broad, exaggerated strokes it kinda made sense that the women would be attractive. It was a comicbook in motion, in all senses of the word, I went along with it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Their beauty was the whole point as far as I read it! Of course Immortan Joe would keep the most beautiful women all for himself based on their looks alone. The wives' transformation from seemingly being your standard damsels in distress to active, individual heroes and leaders in their own right is one of the film's clearest examples of subverting and challenging the types of gender roles usually seen in films like this.
    All the newly liberated female characters literally rising up
    at the end of the film is one of the simplest, most effective feminist images in mainstream cinema history.

And can't forget that the film boasts a far more diverse cast of interesting female characters beyond just a group of supermodels anyway :) What other recent blockbuster has introduced a group of middle aged and elderly women as brilliant, fearless action heroes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

There was a definite 'comic book' theme to the movie. For me, Charlize Theron was the star with a great subdued performance. I didn't twig she had one arm until the desert scenes - what a shock !

• Watched this on 3D Blu Ray on my projector / 5.1 surround Monday
    :)

They done a really good job with the 3D effects, in particular the explosions.

There's a new Mad Max Blu-Ray box-set coming out in Germany in September and it has include the Fury Road: Black and Chrome version which is no doubt, Miller's preferred version of the film. Hopefully it will be the dialogue less version that he has spoken about

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There's a new Mad Max Blu-Ray box-set coming out in Germany in September and it has include the Fury Road: Black and Chrome version which is no doubt, Miller's preferred version of the film. Hopefully it will be the dialogue less version that he has spoken about

Oh good, so rather than just a deluxe edition of Fury Road the bastards are tying it to a box set of all the films so far?

I liked Fury Road enough to be willing to buy it twice once the B&W edition was released, but I don't need to own all four films twice just for that. (Especially not when you think how much time the studio's had to make absolute boatloads of cash from the prior three films).

If I ever get a 4K TV and upgraded Xbox/Playstation this glorious bastard of a movie will be the first thing I'll get on the new UHD blu-ray format.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Saw it again recently and I was surprised at the subversive undertones.

It doesn't pander to feminists or traditional tropes but shows how entirely patriarchal or matriarchal societies would ultimately fail i.e the inability of the women to maintain the 'green place' or the men resorting to slavery and brutal authoritarianism.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

e_e wrote: »
    If I ever get a 4K TV and upgraded Xbox/Playstation this glorious bastard of a movie will be the first thing I'll get on the new UHD blu-ray format.

There would be no real point in getting the film in 4k since it was only mastered in 2k.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1392190/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Saw it again recently and I was surprised at the subversive undertones.

It doesn't pander to feminists or traditional tropes but shows how entirely patriarchal or matriarchal societies would ultimately fail i.e the inability of the women to maintain the 'green place' or the men resorting to slavery and brutal authoritarianism.

Very good point. However, I don't think it's accurate to describe the green place as matriarchal. We don't really know what it was like, but it seems to have been all-female. That's neither feminist nor matriarchal in my view despite what some mens rights groups might believe. Also matriarchy generally doesn't involve the total suppression and exclusion of men from power in the way that patriarchy traditionally does women, so they aren't really opposites.

If anything I think the film's ending can be read as pro-matriarchy given that it ends with Furioso, a woman, being raised up as the new leader as Max returns to the wilderness. It reminded me of one of my favourite endings ever: Paris Texas, where the father fixes the problems that he caused, reuniting mother and son, and then leaves. The implication being that he can do no good by staying. Granted it's a rather divisive ending. :D

Very good point. However, I don't think it's accurate to describe the green place as matriarchal. We don't really know what it was like, but it seems to have been all-female. That's neither feminist nor matriarchal in my view despite what some mens rights groups might believe. Also matriarchy generally doesn't involve the total suppression and exclusion of men from power in the way that patriarchy traditionally does women, so they aren't really opposites.

If anything I think the film's ending can be read as pro-matriarchy given that it ends with Furioso, a woman, being raised up as the new leader as Max returns to the wilderness. It reminded me of one of my favourite endings ever: Paris Texas, where the father fixes the problems that he caused, reuniting mother and son, and then leaves. The implication being that he can do no good by staying. Granted it's a rather divisive ending. :D

I just took it that it meant that the society needed balance. It didn't matter who was the leader (although Furiosa proved to be). Never really copped the failure of the Green Place as such a metaphor.

Or maybe it was just a great action flick and we are all idiots trying to read far too much into it.

If anything I think the film's ending can be read as pro-matriarchy given that it ends with Furioso, a woman, being raised up as the new leader as Max returns to the wilderness. It reminded me of one of my favourite endings ever: Paris Texas, where the father fixes the problems that he caused, reuniting mother and son, and then leaves. The implication being that he can do no good by staying. Granted it's a rather divisive ending.

The ending reminded me a lot of The Searchers, much like Ethan, Max is a man out of time and place, he's a savage who no longer fits in

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

a garden is traditionally associated with females and female sexuality

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The ending reminded me a lot of The Searchers, much like Ethan, Max is a man out of time and place, he's a savage who no longer fits in

Paris, Texas has a lot of Western-inspired imagery and themes, so yeah same idea. And the "solitary loner who has more in common with the savages he just just helped vanquish" has even greater implications when applied to Fury Road's gender specific storyline.

BMMachine wrote: »
    a garden is traditionally associated with females and female sexuality

Which makes sense as it was all female.

I'm not sure if you are disagreeing with my post, but my point was that an all-female society is not the same thing as a matriarchal society. So the failure of the "green place" shouldn't necessarily be read as a dismissal of matriarchy. If anything I think the ending of the film is saying that women may be better suited to rule, even if they need the help of men to do it.

If anything I think the ending of the film is saying that women may be better suited to rule, even if they need the help of men to do it.
    It follows on from the exchange between Nux and Splendid.

"We''re not to blame."
    "Then who killed the world?"

I just love how brazen and in your face the end image is. It makes sense in a film that does nothing by halves too.

Paris, Texas has a lot of Western-inspired imagery and themes, so yeah same idea. And the "solitary loner who has more in common with the savages he just just helped vanquish" has even greater implications when applied to Fury Road's gender specific storyline.

Not seen it since I was a teenager, picked it up a few months ago and just haven't found the time to sit down and give it the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Mad Max and Westerns always have a lot in common. I see a lot of similarities to Mad Max films and Shane and Magnificent Seven too.

Advertisement