Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad Max: Fury Road

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

I'd burn my balls off to see the black & chrome in the cinema over here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

BMMachine wrote: »
    I'd burn my balls off to see the black & chrome in the cinema over here

Not only that, but this cinema here is one of the best ive been in .. sound and screen size it's just amazing...

The owner loves the film he will show it again for sure- every month or 2 .., you should arrange a trip to coincide..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Not only that, but this cinema here is one of the best ive been in .. sound and screen size it's just amazing....

Looking at the upcoming film list:
    http://www.phenomena-experience.com/programacion-peliculas/todas.html

I might just move there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Goodshape wrote: »
    Looking at the upcoming film list:
    http://www.phenomena-experience.com/programacion-peliculas/todas.html

I might just move there!

Yeah it's a great cinema - all in original language too - not dubbed apart from a few kids films..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Lighthouse cinema showing the Black & Chrome version on April 30th

https://www.facebook.com/events/1788637508124926/

already booked :) cannae wait

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Lighthouse cinema showing the Black & Chrome version on April 30th

https://www.facebook.com/events/1788637508124926/

Being shown in Gorey also on the 30th.

this sunday :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/mad-max-fury-roads-george-miller-interview-black-and-white-sequel-mad-max-fury-road-tom-hardy-a7703051.html

We could see sequels and prequels to Fury Road.
    One thing is for certain: during the eternal delays in launching Fury Road, Miller and co-writer Nico Lathouris wrote two further scripts. “We dug down deep into the subtext, the backstory of all the characters, and indeed the world… and without really thinking about it, we wrote two other screenplays just as part of the bible of the stories,” Miller tells me. With Tom Hardy said to be committed, the first is currently titled Mad Max: The Wasteland. “Somewhere, if the planets align, there will be two other films.”

What might these contain? Miller has already hinted that he’d be interested in a prequel detailing the life of Furiosa.
    Take the Doof Warrior, the blind musician who is hooked up to the front of one of Immortan Joe’s rigs, playing a flame-throwing electric guitar to whip up the troops. “I know who his mother was. I know how it was that a man who is mute and blind survived the apocalypse. I know his story very well!” says Miller. “If we get to make another movie, the Doof Warrior will be there!”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

zerks wrote: »

I wouldn't hold out hope for anything more than one more Mad Max film at best. George Miller is 72, I've no doubt there will be some attempt at continuing the franchise after his death but without him there is absolutely nothing there, a really strained attempt to copy fury road.

I see at least one cinema showing the black and white version has sold out near me for this weekend. Not especially interested in seeing it myself but not at all surprised. Fury Road is gonna make an absolute killing on re-runs over the years as long as there are cinemas around.

No prequels please. Utterly pointless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

BMMachine wrote: »
    No prequels please. Utterly pointless

I would prefer a sequel than a prequel. A prequel would be sort of a remake of the first 3 films which are done right the first time so new material is the way to go. The comics were the right place to connect the old Mad Max films with the new Mad Max films in my view. A new adventure in the wasteland post Fury Road would be ideal but if they went down the prequel root, what are the options (I am staying with the idea of a Mad Max film not a Mad Max spinoff dealing with the backstory of another character so I'm assuming Max has to be centre stage)?

Pre-Mad Max 1: this could see Max, a happily married and good cop, go up against dangerous drug dealer bikers who are testing the limits of a world in recession. The pros of such a sequel is that it could give us the backstory of the Toecutter and his gang with perhaps Nightrider as the main baddie. Bubba Zannetti could be shown to be a rogue cop. The cons are that it would be more or less set in the present day and it would look more like a standard cop film. But if done well, it could be an excellent Mad Max meets Dirty Harry type film.

Post-Mad Max 1: rather pointless in that Max has gotten his revenge and wanders out into the wasteland as the world goes from normality to apocalypse. This period would most likely see a depressed Max lying low and doing very little other than eating, sleeping and gathering fuel in preparation for his survival of the coming wars.

Post-Mad Max 2: This may be the best place to put it. Max could go up against other post-apocalypse dictator and perhaps even some of the characters in Beyond Thunderdome or Fury Road could be introduced.

Post-Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome: this would be more or less the comics and going by that, the two main stories would be a return to the Thunderdome to gain the interceptor and also the failed rescue of the woman and the child. While it could be a good film, we know what happens already is the downside. That is why a sequel is probably best as we have a lot of the prequel material filled in by other sources.

I wouldn't hold out hope for anything more than one more Mad Max film at best. George Miller is 72, I've no doubt there will be some attempt at continuing the franchise after his death but without him there is absolutely nothing there, a really strained attempt to copy fury road.

Mad Max is one of those rare movie franchises, where the sequels are of a high quality. Each of the 4 films so far explored new dimensions and that's the key. George Miller is a great director and has succeeded where others have failed when it comes to keeping the sequels of a high standard.

I wonder would the Mad Max franchise be the same without George Miller. He is so integral to it but it is possible to have someone else to it excellent too but that director/writer would want to be someone who is a true Mad Max fan and who has met George Miller and knows how to continue things in that mould.

The lazy option some directors could choose is to remake Fury Road over and over. Of course there was in the wake of the original trilogy a whole load of Mad Max ripoffs by other directors that were often poor and/or unoriginal and not a patch on Mad Max. A load of them were made by Italian filmmakers and then there were the American ones like Steel Dawn. The quality of these varied and it was not long before Kevin Costner began making his post apocalyptic 'epics' that had very mixed results. Waterworld was an expensive flop and a ripoff of Mad Max set on water. The Postman was a very interesting concept but delivered in a tame, overlong and boring way. That's why the director is key and needs to be sympathetic to the genre. If George Miller had done The Postman, it would have been a classic. Costner I feel tried to do it as Dances With Wolves (which he directed excellently) and it did not work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

I don't think it's an interesting franchise whatsoever, it's a shell for Miller to let his mind go wild. The notion of prequels or sequels largely doesn't even apply, it doesn't strike me like Miller gives a ****e about continuity between films.

Best possible case would be the franchise brought a level of funding to the table that someone else would be able to run with it and do what they like (I'm sure this has happened before but I can't think of an exact example), but the chances of a studio handing over $150 million to some young director with potential and not meddling in it once production begins in that case would be extremely low.

I don't think it's an interesting franchise whatsoever, it's a shell for Miller to let his mind go wild. The notion of prequels or sequels largely doesn't even apply, it doesn't strike me like Miller gives a ****e about continuity between films.

Best possible case would be the franchise brought a level of funding to the table that someone else would be able to run with it and do what they like (I'm sure this has happened before but I can't think of an exact example), but the chances of a studio handing over $150 million to some young director with potential and not meddling in it once production begins in that case would be extremely low.

I think it is an interesting franchise and eerily realistic in many ways too. Look at the Mad Max 2 world and look at modern Iraq, Syria, etc. Savagery in failed states is what we see in both cases.

As with pre-Daniel Craig James Bond and other franchises, I agree that continuity in the films is loose and compromised if necessary. The focus often is on the current film and the orientation changed as the films progressed.

The first Mad Max was made on a much smaller budget with an unknown cast (then) and with an emphasis more on the current world on the brink of toppling into total chaos rather than on a post apocalypse world. The film is an excellent example of doing a lot with scarce resources and its success paved the way for the bigger budget sequels. As with the Bond film On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Max loses his loved ones at the end.

The second Mad Max is the one that defined the franchise. It is post apocalypse and gives us Max, the depressed loner who has a heart of gold inside. The happy family man of the first film of course was changed by the tragic circumstances of the end of the first film. Unlike with the Bond films where Bond was shown to be more or less the same man, the loss of Max's wife and child defined Max's persona in the subsequent films even though it is never mentioned. The second film played out the classic Mad Max scenario: Max is doing something for his own personal reasons and gets caught in others' problems and becomes their hero and does something for them that is totally unselfish. The third and fourth films repeated Max doing something personal at first and then doing something for the greater good.

Let's say if as you said a new director was given money to make a new Mad Max film. Meddling would happen of course as this is a big and famous franchise that has been one of the most influential. Like Indiana Jones, it has been directed by the same person and has spanned a similar timespan with large gaps between the third and fourth films.

Mad Max Fury Road caught the world's imagination and is a classic of the modern era. Here was a film that had good action and did not have to rely on curse words (how many modern films seem to have to have the F word said as often as possible in an angry manner). It celebrated the older Mad Max films and drew material from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom too (whose plot was Mad Max influenced too). It was pure escapism and one of the great action classics of modern times.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Loved the black and chrome version in the lighthouse, should always have been shown like that imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Just been watching this,had to turn it off,what a steaming pile of dung

• Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

shamrock55 wrote: »

Don't worry, Mrs. Brown's Boys is on repeat for you somewhere.

astrofool wrote: »

Mad Max Fury Road = something I can enjoy over and over.
    Mrs Brown's Boys Christmas Specials = something I cannot even watch for a second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

astrofool wrote: »

Nope,hate that too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Did you enjoy any of the previous Mad Max Films?

Nope,hate that too

There's no comparison between Mrs Brown's Boys and Mad Max Fury Road. I love the latter and hate the former. MMFR is well made and is great action. MBB is cheaply made, unprofessional junk of the highest order.

Way too much MBB being made and other Mrs Brown things too. That's why I like to see the occasional good film or series come along. Mad Max Fury Road deserves a few sequels. Mrs Brown deserves to be axed permanently.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What would you be expecting from a Mad Max film this film doesnt completely deliver I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Apparently a sequel/prequel is happening. No details beyond shooting in Autumn in Australia. I'm assuming it's Mad Max The Wasteland with Tom Hardy though there seems to be talk of a second film about Furiosa.

https://thegww.com/exclusive-george-millers-next-max-max-movie-a-go-to-film-in-australia-this-fall/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thats one of the few times I wouldnt be p1ssed off with a prequel instead of a sequel, hope they show WWIII.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's going to be one helluva level of expectation set with this. Fair to say most - including myself - never thought Fury Road was going to hit the heights that it did. The follow up will be eagerly pursued. Here's hoping it won't be MEDIOCRE. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I must actually rewatch Mad Max soon. It's exactly the type of movie I'd usually hate, yet I absolutely loved it. A joy to watch!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

What a lovely day!

Advertisement