Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Weather Conditions -- November 2009

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

munster hit pretty bad :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It quietened down for a few hours but the wind is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

It's raining. A lot. I was very jealous of the jeep that passed me as I turned back about a quarter of a mile from my house cos there was a freaking mini-lake across the road. Everyone in the flooded areas should be given jeeps :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

fozzle wrote: »
    It's raining. A lot. I was very jealous of the jeep that passed me as I turned back about a quarter of a mile from my house cos there was a freaking mini-lake across the road. Everyone in the flooded areas should be given jeeps :rolleyes:

Dunno about that ;)

I travelled from West Limerick to West Cork and back again today. The morning journey down was reasonably uneventful with just surface water to contend with.Well unless I had intended to go via Bandon which even before it got bright this morning had flooding and impassable roads (I was speaking with a very reliable source who was out and about in the area).

By mid-afternoon it was an entirely different story, I totally failed to make one particular destination due to serious flooding and believe me when I say even a large 4wd with a very decent clearance wasn't going to safely get through. Well perhaps a Defender with snorkel kit may have had a reasonable chance but as I wasn't issued one that puts and end to that :(

After two attempts to make that above mentioned destination it was time to return to my starting point. Easy, I'll cut across to Macroom and make West Limerick via Killarney. Yeah right. I ended up going several routes all of which were impassable so I ended up going Glengarriff, Kenmare, Kilgarvan, Killarney.

In all my years driving I cannot remember meeting such condition where an entire section of the country was effectively cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

From what I've heard from home there's flooding in areas that never flooded before. I thought I was going to have a clean drive home tomorrow but the latest update from AA roadwatch is telling me the N4 is flooded as well now and with more rain to come, I don't fancy my chances of a clear road home :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

Waterford had 60mm in 24 hours according to my rain gauge, almost a whole month's worth in one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Galway city and it's still raining.
    The main rain has past but frequent heavy showers are keeping us soaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

What is the forecast for Munster tonight? I'm hearing mixed reports! Some say there's another 23mm of rain due tonight and others say tonight will be dry! The house where i live in Cork, right against the Lee, got flooded last night and i feel my landlord should be looking at sandbags or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

grenache wrote: »
    What is the forecast for Munster tonight? I'm hearing mixed reports! Some say there's another 23mm of rain due tonight and others say tonight will be dry! The house where i live in Cork, right against the Lee, got flooded last night and i feel my landlord should be looking at sandbags or something similar.

according to met eireann 15-25 mm - see www.meteireann.ie
    yes should be sandbags if you're near the lee.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

grenache wrote: »

It will stay dry until the early hours of the morning, but from then all morning you'll see plenty of heavy rain but it shouldn't last as long as it did on Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

Cockermouth Cumbria reported 13" of rain in 24 hours from the system we have been 'enjoying' earlier this week. Perhaps we've been relatively lucky. Our thoughts are with the policeman who lost his life there yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Very heavy rain with gusts, almost a downpour for a while there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Wet and fairly windy in Waterford.

Waterford is gusting 56 knots at present with a spectacular fall in barometric pressure of 10 mb in the last four hours. Just 2mm of rain so far though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Dry, sunshining and quite calm at the moment in West Limerick. Very little in the way of cloud, just some high level scattered cloud.

What a difference to earlier this morning!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Wind is picking up here now after a respite of two hours or so, still sunny.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

16.2mm of rain here since 6am. Cleared now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

These showers are moving at quite a rate. After the deluge 7am to 11am the skies cleared totally. I walked the dogs & there was no sign of any cloud over the sea. 40 mins later & we are having a hail squall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Peter

Bad squall here now wind, rain, hail and a few rumbles of thunder too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Windy here in North Tipp, but nothing exceptional.

• Advertisement

In Waterford wind now down to a more moderate gale strength of 41 knots from the south. Barometer steady at 995mb. No rain.

TORRENTS! West Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

TORRENTS! West Dublin

Too bloody right. I just cycled home that monster rain. Somebody mentioned the rain being "terrifying" in one of the flood threads. I understand now.

At the moment, It's squally with scattery drizzle in Blanch. Cold too. Fairly much defines November.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

dry and pretty calm here in carlow at the moment.....had a heavy shower about an hour ago ....nothing special.....is this the calm before the storm:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

howlinwolf wrote: »
    dry and pretty calm here in carlow at the moment.....had a heavy shower about an hour ago ....nothing special.....is this the calm before the storm:confused:

Are you in an underground bunker or what:confused:

savage howling winds where i am.

im 10 mile from carlow town

I can here the wind howling through the door here . . . just started raining.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

southerly gale and dry for a change

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Impressive IC lightning over Kenmare at the moment:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 yansnow

first snow report at JOHNSTOWN CASTLE(A)
    http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭highdef

Sounds like a typo! Plenty of intracloud lightning in the Irish Sea, south eat of Dublin too. It's getting quite far away now. I would've posted about it earlier but I was out of the house all day

Advertisement