Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Next GTA in Paris

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Where is the search function when ya need it?

Aaaages ago I pontificated on these here boards that the next GTA should be in "random EU city number 1" and include a whole kettle of random nationalities, SA style. So one area is France, drive up the road to Holland and get a boat to the UK. Lots of jokes in there, etc.

Of course with the GTA4 engine it's probably more likely they'll do 1 city alone rather then 3 or 4 in one huge area. I would like to see them go away from America too. So much untapped resources in Europe. Also could return the series to it's jokey days!

Paris would be a good starting point but I never found the city itself to be overly interesting. Amsterdam is far more interesting a city - but perhaps too much like previous GTA's... (drugs, etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

The problem I see is that USA is the culturally dominant country in the world and whether your from dublin or dubrovnik you get their popular culture(tv shows, movies, celebs) if you take the game to europe you lose a lot of the gta game imo.

The problem I see is that USA is the culturally dominant country in the world and whether your from dublin or dubrovnik you get their popular culture(tv shows, movies, celebs) if you take the game to europe you lose a lot of the gta game imo.

Very true but I imagine a departure to foreign lands will bring the Americanised cultural references, just with a funny accent.

Well these people seem to think so

I would love the game to be in Paris but how stupid is this?

I thought they made a pretty good argument, actually. What with the film covers and so forth...

When I seen the "It's Over" ad, I thought the next GTA was gonna be in San Fierro (San Francisco).

In San Andreas, Fierro is half city and half woddland/forest, and the trees in the torn away part of the "It's over" poster in the GTA Manual has trees in it, so...

Paris seems like a poor choice to me, though. I'd rather they kept it in America, or if they're gonna split it into three cities (As they always seem to do), have London included, too.

Regardless of location, when do you guys reckon it'll be out?

I'm hoping it's not another three year wait again. I'm getting tired of Liberty City. In saying that though, if GTA V is in france or whatever, you should be able to install IV onto your hard drive, and go to the airport and catch a plane to liberty city (and vice versa).

Now that would be making good use of that there technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I would be rather unhappy if the next GTA were to be in Paris, the **** overated city that it is, they just lack the style or mentalness that having it in an American city. The only advantage that could potentially come from having it in Paris is having cheesy stereotypical accents (pardon the pun).

• Advertisement

Nailz wrote: »
    I would be rather unhappy if the next GTA were to be in Paris, the **** overated city that it is, they just lack the style or mentalness that having it in an American city. The only advantage that could potentially come from having it in Paris is having cheesy stereotypical accents (pardon the pun).

In fairness most cities in California are awful too. More awful then most European cities, IMO. The only interesting city from a game design perspective is San Fransico, and in San Andreas, that was the city they paid least attention to.

I also think the series needs a kick in the arse - and a trip to Europe might just be it. Having rockstar rehash old idea's over and over again is not my idea of great design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I think Edinburgh wud be a good one (if its going for the S.A approach)

And since Rockstar North are based there, it would be fair cool to get a GTA game with my home country as a setting :D

Sadly i cant think of anything interesting in Edinburgh worth putting in a GTA game other than neds (scottish chavs basically) and Edinburgh Castle...

Nah just scrape the scotland idea lol *thinks*......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,322 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I also think the series needs a kick in the arse - and a trip to Europe might just be it. Having rockstar rehash old idea's over and over again is not my idea of great design.

Would Paris really change things? To be honest, I think it would terrible to have it in a foreign country. Would pedestrians always be speaking English but with a French accent? Same with radio stations, characters etc. Would place names and road names etc be French names? Cars and weapons called by French names? I don't see how setting the game in Europe would be a kick up the arse. The location means little compared to gameplay. But how much further can they really bring the gameplay anyway? They are constantly adding stuff and taking other things out, but overall the main gameplay mechanics have to stay the same. That wouldn't change if it was in Paris, Rome or even Libery City again

I'd have no problem with the next game game being Vice City. I mean, people say they want the game to be somewhere new, but its not like you can compare GTAIII Liberty City to GTAIV Liberty City. And seeing the difference between those two, a GTAIV Vice City could be amazing.

Would Paris really change things? To be honest, I think it would terrible to have it in a foreign country. Would pedestrians always be speaking English but with a French accent? Same with radio stations, characters etc. Would place names and road names etc be French names? Cars and weapons called by French names? I don't see how setting the game in Europe would be a kick up the arse. The location means little compared to gameplay. But how much further can they really bring the gameplay anyway? They are constantly adding stuff and taking other things out, but overall the main gameplay mechanics have to stay the same. That wouldn't change if it was in Paris, Rome or even Libery City again

I'd have no problem with the next game game being Vice City. I mean, people say they want the game to be somewhere new, but its not like you can compare GTAIII Liberty City to GTAIV Liberty City. And seeing the difference between those two, a GTAIV Vice City could be amazing.

First off, unless you live in America, every single one of the titles has been "foreign".

Second thing is that the location means more then the gameplay in GTA. The whole sales pitch is an open, explorable, living world. Not that you can shoot dudes. I can do that in Halo. If you're going to tell me that the game mechanics in GTA series come before the city its in, then maybe you need to play a little more. We forgive the clunky mechanics and often terrible game design mistakes because the environment is so rich and detailed.

Also, the game mechanics stay the same. I'm not sure what you expect them to do if they move to a European location. The entire gameplay and engine won't change - it'll just be a new, different and unique (for GTA) city.

Also, I don't for a second expect the game to be in French. It would be a good joke to have everyone in Paris speaking English. In fairness, you'd probably be an American in Paris, so most of your dealings will be with other English-speaking gangster types. The randomers on the street could shout random phrases en Francais, or with French accents in English.

Finally I would point out that, it is probable that R* are looking to go back to Vice City, the problem with that is you can't go back to revisit the 80s. The vibe of that game was so funny, awesome and inspiring because it was set in the 80s. Sure, with the new engine and systems to play on it could be 3 times as large, more detailed etc., but it can't be the 80s again, and can't have *that* vibe.

I also don't want to go through each console generation with a new engine from R*, and the same revisiting of old cities in these new engines over and over again.

First off, unless you live in America, every single one of the titles has been "foreign".

By foreign, I meant non-English speaking, but I should have clarified that
    Second thing is that the location means more then the gameplay in GTA. The whole sales pitch is an open, explorable, living world. Not that you can shoot dudes. I can do that in Halo. If you're going to tell me that the game mechanics in GTA series come before the city its in, then maybe you need to play a little more. We forgive the clunky mechanics and often terrible game design mistakes because the environment is so rich and detailed.

The location is a vital piece of any game, but not ahead of gameplay. Not even in GTA. I agree that one of the star features of the games is the city, the way it moves, the way it feels, the little things you notice that you never saw before, despite spending hours on it. But whether its in Paris, Tokyo or Chicago, that the designers job. Liberty City is not New York, its just based on it. But any city they choose to base a game on, they will try to add those little things, as its not going to be a complete faithful layout of the city anyway. Trust me, I've played enough GTA to know that as important as the city is, its what the designers do with that city that matters.
    Also, the game mechanics stay the same. I'm not sure what you expect them to do if they move to a European location. The entire gameplay and engine won't change - it'll just be a new, different and unique (for GTA) city.

Yes, the main gameplay mechanics stay the same, but with added features etc, same as what happens with every sequel. Location won't change that. But like I said, the GTAIV version of Liberty City was completely different to the GTAIII rendition. I'm not saying the next game should be Vice City, I'm just saying that after seeing what they did to Liberty City, I wouldn't be disappointed. Again, its not the actual location that matters, its what the developers do with that location to make it unique that matters
    Also, I don't for a second expect the game to be in French. It would be a good joke to have everyone in Paris speaking English. In fairness, you'd probably be an American in Paris, so most of your dealings will be with other English-speaking gangster types. The randomers on the street could shout random phrases en Francais, or with French accents in English.

Agree that if they did set it in France, that'd be what would happen, but do you not think that'd get really annoying? I mean, everyone I know had to turn on the subtitles to understand what Niko et al were saying when they spoke their own language. Just random foreign words dropped into conversation. While its bound to happen, setting the game somewhere like Paris would increase this almost exponentially. The thing with America is that a lot more nationalities and ethnicities can be recognised, moreso than exist in France. How many Asians do you think live in France? What about black people? In Liberty City, we had Russians, Irish, Persians, Latinos... the main character was Serbian or something. Same with most cities in America
    Finally I would point out that, it is probable that R* are looking to go back to Vice City, the problem with that is you can't go back to revisit the 80s. The vibe of that game was so funny, awesome and inspiring because it was set in the 80s. Sure, with the new engine and systems to play on it could be 3 times as large, more detailed etc., but it can't be the 80s again, and can't have *that* vibe.

I also don't want to go through each console generation with a new engine from R*, and the same revisiting of old cities in these new engines over and over again.

Agree totally. Not the 80's. It was done too well with Vice City. I would prefer a new city altogether, but I still think it should be set in America

• Advertisement

The location is a vital piece of any game, but not ahead of gameplay. Not even in GTA. I agree that one of the star features of the games is the city, the way it moves, the way it feels, the little things you notice that you never saw before, despite spending hours on it. But whether its in Paris, Tokyo or Chicago, that the designers job. Liberty City is not New York, its just based on it. But any city they choose to base a game on, they will try to add those little things, as its not going to be a complete faithful layout of the city anyway. Trust me, I've played enough GTA to know that as important as the city is, its what the designers do with that city that matters.

Just in case, we are talking about Paris as in, GTA's take on Paris. Not a re-creation. It'd be to Paris what Liberty city is to NYC.
    Yes, the main gameplay mechanics stay the same, but with added features etc, same as what happens with every sequel. Location won't change that. But like I said, the GTAIV version of Liberty City was completely different to the GTAIII rendition. I'm not saying the next game should be Vice City, I'm just saying that after seeing what they did to Liberty City, I wouldn't be disappointed. Again, its not the actual location that matters, its what the developers do with that location to make it unique that matters

This is where we disagree. I don't want them to just rehash their old material over and over again. It worked with Liberty city - but GTAIV got boring after a while. Not enough variety in the city... because we've sort of experienced it before. The series needs a rehash..
    Agree that if they did set it in France, that'd be what would happen, but do you not think that'd get really annoying? I mean, everyone I know had to turn on the subtitles to understand what Niko et al were saying when they spoke their own language. Just random foreign words dropped into conversation. While its bound to happen, setting the game somewhere like Paris would increase this almost exponentially. The thing with America is that a lot more nationalities and ethnicities can be recognised, moreso than exist in France. How many Asians do you think live in France? What about black people? In Liberty City, we had Russians, Irish, Persians, Latinos... the main character was Serbian or something. Same with most cities in America

Have you ever been to Paris? There were riots a few years ago that lasted 7 days in the Parisian suburbs because black immigrants felt the government was treating them improperly. The metro stations in Paris have as much diversity as the NY subway!

As for accents, yes, people complained about Niko because they're not used to it. Americans are used to French accents. If the Simpsons can take the piss out of it without getting people confused, so can a video game.
    Agree totally. Not the 80's. It was done too well with Vice City. I would prefer a new city altogether, but I still think it should be set in America

I just think they've "been there, done that" as far as America goes. They've done Californias boring ass cities, NYC and Miami. There's very little left to do with American cities. Paris would be a good rehash.

...of course I'd love them to take on my original idea - Amsterdam ;)

Just in case, we are talking about Paris as in, GTA's take on Paris. Not a re-creation. It'd be to Paris what Liberty city is to NYC.

Of course. But based on Paris. Whereas if you just look at the actual city of Paris, what is there which can set it apart from a city such as Chicago? I think if GTA were to leave America, it should be Tokyo. I just don't see what Paris as a location could do that an American city couldn't, apart from the accents and flags.
    This is where we disagree. I don't want them to just rehash their old material over and over again. It worked with Liberty city - but GTAIV got boring after a while. Not enough variety in the city... because we've sort of experienced it before. The series needs a rehash..

Well, I wouldn't say we disagree. I do agree that I haven't played GTAIV as much as the others, but with each new sequel comes new features. There would be no point in drastically changing location unless there was a drastic overhaul of the gameplay, but how much different could they make it to have it still feel like a true GTA game but essentially rehash key features of it
    Have you ever been to Paris? There were riots a few years ago that lasted 7 days in the Parisian suburbs because black immigrants felt the government was treating them improperly. The metro stations in Paris have as much diversity as the NY subway!

As for accents, yes, people complained about Niko because they're not used to it. Americans are used to French accents. If the Simpsons can take the piss out of it without getting people confused, so can a video game.

I admit, I don't know a lot about Paris. So I concede that point. Although I'm not saying the French accents would confuse Americans (or me), I'm just saying it'd get annoying if it was just constantly there, where pretty much every character had a french accent, including most of the pedestrians, radio DJs etc
    I just think they've "been there, done that" as far as America goes. They've done Californias boring ass cities, NYC and Miami. There's very little left to do with American cities. Paris would be a good rehash.

...of course I'd love them to take on my original idea - Amsterdam ;)

Prostitution.... drugs..... in Amsterdam :eek:

I'm not sure the Dutch would be pleased with GTA coming over and making people think these things are in Amsterdam :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

It will more than likely be Vice City or San Andreas again IMO. Paris would immediatley cock my interest but I doubt they'll go outside the U.S, although if they would Rio de Janeiro would be immense. Same weather as Vice City but favelas, corrupt cops and jungle!

Of course. But based on Paris. Whereas if you just look at the actual city of Paris, what is there which can set it apart from a city such as Chicago? I think if GTA were to leave America, it should be Tokyo. I just don't see what Paris as a location could do that an American city couldn't, apart from the accents and flags.

Well Paris has a lot of interesting architecture and buildings that would set it apart from Chicago. Driving through the arc du triamph would be great fun. Blowing up the Eifel tower, belting down the Champs-Elysees.. etc.
    Well, I wouldn't say we disagree. I do agree that I haven't played GTAIV as much as the others, but with each new sequel comes new features. There would be no point in drastically changing location unless there was a drastic overhaul of the gameplay, but how much different could they make it to have it still feel like a true GTA game but essentially rehash key features of it

I don't think they can change gameplay tbh. The story and environment nuture that gameplay. Unless they do something like make you a cop, but even then the gameplay is very similar. All they can do is improve it. They could do worse then basically lift the game mechanics of Uncharted and shove it into a great, interesting city environment...
    I admit, I don't know a lot about Paris. So I concede that point. Although I'm not saying the French accents would confuse Americans (or me), I'm just saying it'd get annoying if it was just constantly there, where pretty much every character had a french accent, including most of the pedestrians, radio DJs etc

Well the resolution there is to not have JUST Parisian radio. He could have satellite radio, or web radio... or hell, an iPod (like Solid Snake!) and listen to radio and music that way. Anyway, a lot of French music kicks ass. Daft Punk, Justice, Noze... etc.
    Prostitution.... drugs..... in Amsterdam :eek:

I'm not sure the Dutch would be pleased with GTA coming over and making people think these things are in Amsterdam :D

True. The Dutch are too Catholic to allow such debauchery in their cities...

Well Paris has a lot of interesting architecture and buildings that would set it apart from Chicago. Driving through the arc du triamph would be great fun. Blowing up the Eifel tower, belting down the Champs-Elysees.. etc.

I don't think they can change gameplay tbh. The story and environment nuture that gameplay. Unless they do something like make you a cop, but even then the gameplay is very similar. All they can do is improve it. They could do worse then basically lift the game mechanics of Uncharted and shove it into a great, interesting city environment...

Well the resolution there is to not have JUST Parisian radio. He could have satellite radio, or web radio... or hell, an iPod (like Solid Snake!) and listen to radio and music that way. Anyway, a lot of French music kicks ass. Daft Punk, Justice, Noze... etc.

True. The Dutch are too Catholic to allow such debauchery in their cities...

Pretty much it in a nutshell. It could be done, but it'd take a lot of planning in order to help it transistion over. Obviously, if it was set in Paris or somewhere like that, I'd still buy it. No doubt. Its just how the developer does it, not where, that counts imo

Pretty much it in a nutshell. It could be done, but it'd take a lot of planning in order to help it transistion over. Obviously, if it was set in Paris or somewhere like that, I'd still buy it. No doubt. Its just how the developer does it, not where, that counts imo

Agree'd. I would have faith in R* doing it. They develop the engine and code magic in Scotland anyway, while the writers work from NYC. I think the Scottish lads could pitch in some good racial slurs against le frogs.

...they've a great handball team, I hear ;)

Advertisement