Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jääskeläinen

• 01-11-2009 9:47am
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

Is it just me, or do commentators just love saying this guy's name?

Every match he's on the commentators say his name repeatedly, even when he's not invloved in the action!.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

How could you not love saying it?!

Jussi Jääskeläinen Jussi Jääskeläinen Jussi Jääskeläinen Jussi Jääskeläinen Jussi Jääskeläinen Jussi Jääskeläinen Jussi Jääskeläinen Jussi Jääskeläinen Jussi Jääskeläinen Jussi Jääskeläinen Jussi Jääskeläinen Jussi Jääskeläinen Jussi Jääskeläinen Jussi Jääskeläinen Jussi Jääskeläinen.........................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Bit like Schillachi, how could you commentate without overusing them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Great keeper though

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

I see he has retired from the Finland set up as well to prolong his career. More of that trend.

I find it more annoying with the English commentators shouting out there stars players names on Champions League nights.

That said Magee is guilty of it as well. Was watchin the Premiership a couple of weeks back and he was giving Reid credit for everything Whitehead was doing. It was embarrassing fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Having two similar names really seems to make you a good footballer
    Jussi Jääskeläinen.......Zinedine Zidane
    If only we had a Paddy Patterson!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Mmcd wrote: »

Well we do have

Damien Duff
    and
    Kevin Kilbane
    and
    Darren O'Dea

I think your name theory is dead :P

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Well we do have

Damien Duff
    and
    Kevin Kilbane
    and
    Darren O'Dea

I think your name theory is dead :P
    They just have the same letters though - they dont sound the same!
    It takes more than alliteration to make you a good footballer :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

This thread is deep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

didnt go so well for dejemba dejemba....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Wasting his career at Bolton tbh. Though he may have kids/emotional attachment to the area or what have you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Mmcd wrote: »
    I think you mean Alliteration.

As for the OP, I think it's the George Hamilton factor. The more foreign a name sounds the more of a kick he gets out of wrapping his tongue around it. Sometimes he likes just saying players names because he's asked the kit man of said team how to pronounce every player's name and insists on letting us know that he can do it.
    I think all commentators suffer from the George Hamilto factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

And yet we harp on about English commentators pronoucing Irish players names wrong,Nothing wrong with getting it right IMO

Advertisement