Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New guy with TIKKA .223

Options
  • 01-11-2009 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I have just bought a tactical .223 with a falcon menace scope.
    This is my first centrefire and I have little experience, I am having great groups at 100m all in a 2" box but at 200m with scope adjusted I am only getting groups around 7-8".
    I have no bipod yet and I am just resting the Gun on the seat of my Atv.
    I am using Winchester 55g FMJ

Any help please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

welcome to the site.

Off the seat of a quad wouldn't be the most comfortable way to shoot groups. You have picked a rifle capable of significantly smaller groups than what you have quoted.

maybe you should make sure the scope rings are tight to start with. Not overtight now:D

Was there a crosswind?

Have you tried and other brands of ammo? Before you do, i'd really make sure you are shooting off a comfortable position first, so you can distinguish tighter grouops easier.

Since you are new to shooting, don't really worry about engaging targets at 200 yds just yet. Get it right at 100yds first. Everything else will follow. That rifle is capable of better.

It might help to lighten the trigger, presuming you haven't done this already. This procedure can be found in the manual, all thats required is a 2.5mm allen key.

Practice practice practice.

Remember Full Metal Jackets are not considered a hunting round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

What Jonty said.

Two inches is a pretty wide group at 100 metres. Ditch the FMJ's. Buy a box of each 55grain round you can get to try them out.

Get close to the ground. Lay prone with the rifle, bipod on front (6"-9" swivel Harris), if you're right handed then left fist under the butt of the rifle.

If you're unfamiliar with shooting rifles you'll need to do a bit of reading up on trigger squeeze, breathing, repeating the same actions and positions each time you fire. It's all about practice, finding the right thing to do each time and repeating it consistently.

Not familiar with that brand of scope.

Tactical is a very good rifle, congratulations on your buy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 itsjonboyok

Thankyou for your response, I will keep on the 100m mark for now,I did try a couple of boxes of federal which I think were more accurate but half the price again.There was a bit of a cross wind we are on a hill farm in Wales but nothing too much. I guess I am expecting to much to soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

This is my first centrefire and I have little experience, I am having great groups at 100m all in a 2" box but at 200m with scope adjusted I am only getting groups around 7-8".

Any help please

simple answer here!-change the crap ammo you are using and watch the groups tighten;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

simple answer here!-change the crap ammo you are using and watch the groups tighten;)

+1 and get a bipod

• Advertisement

What ammo do you suggest ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

What ammo do you suggest ?

FMJ ammo in your rifle will deliver crap groups, in my sako 75 223 if i use it I get something like 4 inch groups at 100 yards its rubbish!
    Any polymer tipped ammo like hornady will shoot well outta your rifle, I use a 40 grain v max bullet in my 223 and it will deliver half inch groups at 100 yards, now note here im not saying one hole groups all day long cos thats just internet talk!-but groups that will hold half inch at 100 and that is good grouping out of a factory barrel for any hunting application:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

try federal ballistic tip also. 40gr ones fire fairly well in my tactical. American eagle hollow points are cheap and cheerful, but tend to run out of steam on foxes after 200 yds.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭buckshotbrolan

Any help please

Hi does your scope have" Falcon Menace" embossed on the eye bell? And if it does how old is it, just wondering because i bought one this year[ the illuminated one] and it didn't have a single marking on the scope stating that it was a Falcon scope! Cheers and good luck with the gun.

Yes brand new a few weeks ago -No nothing at all on the scope regarding name etc - very pleased with it though - its a 6-25 x50 and very clear although little on the large size especially with a 20" barrel

• Advertisement
Advertisement