Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

We all knew this was coming, so here's some initial shots, if the source is to be believed.

http://alienbabeltech.com/abt/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17968

Seen it a couple of days ago on OCN,and for those who dont know,this is the ''Hemlock'' card (Hemlock is dual GPU)

It's the 5870x2 except its not called that lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

I used to think my 10" long 4850x2 was big..

That's just silly..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

They're supposedly calling it the 5970, is that a typo in the thread title?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

5970 it is ... :o ... thanks, too sleepy this am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Christ... even my HAF would struggle with that card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Clearly we should do away with a couple of these 3.5" bays and leave them roomy for huge ****ing GPUs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Review

That graphics card is ridonkulous! Completely unnecessary unless you want to play at max res and settings and even then it looks like it doesnt even break a sweat, we need game producers to catch up!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

is it me or is that really bad for airflow? The GPU eats up all of the cold air intake from the front of the case. I cant imagine any of it makes it to the cpu.

Another review here:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2009/11/18/amd-ati-radeon-hd-5970-review/1

Feck, it's dear too!!!!:eek:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/179717

For the lad that wins lotto tonight: tell us what's like when you get it.

For the rest of us: let's get back to reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

Peats.ie seems to be the cheapest, So far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Blazher wrote: »
    Peats.ie seems to be the cheapest, So far

Except that they don't have stock of any of the 5xxx cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Except that they don't have stock of any of the 5xxx cards.

They are marked call on the website because such low quantities are coming in at any one time it's not fair to have them marked as in stock. Best thing you can do is to give Parnell street a call and see what they have in/are expecting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

OMG, look at the fookin size of it :eek:

4614b041bf3951de.jpg
    Left to right: NVIDIA Single PCB GeForce GTX295, Sapphire Radeon 4870X2, ASUS EAH5870, ASUS EAH5970

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

finally, a card that can play Crysis at 60fps!

oh wait, i dont really care.

in reality, this card may interest you if you run games in high resolution. Unless next gen graphics somehow appear next year, its not really that exciting to me, besides the fact its the worlds fastest card :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Finally took delivery of this today so I will stick up some comparisons with my old GTX295 (Yes 11mths and OLD...lol)...

BTW.....Komplett.ie still have 3 of these in stock if you wanna twitter SANTA ;)

Wonda-Boy, you've got a Wonda-Wallet! Enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

Hands down the 5970 obliterates the 295 in almost everything. Even in games that are nvidia's "the way its meant to be played" games.

Well I think you are being very kind to ATi there Ryan, yes on paper the 5970 is insanely powerfull but when you actually translate that into games its not quite like that. Having said that, the upcoming games will deffo make the 5970 look alot better. Certainly on res. higher then 1920x1200 you will see the 5970 dominate but "Obliterate" is not the term I would use. Having said that there is a few niggles that hopefully the 9.12 drivers due out soon will get sorted aswell.

The GTX295 is still a stonking card (well the single PCB one is) I mean after all this time ATi bearly have it beaten with the 5870, and had to release the "Hemlock Beast" to take the crown...Which I cannot see nvidia beating with Fermi in Q2 of 2010.

Still I am very impressed with the 5970, no problems so far and all games running very well that I have thrown at it. Ran the Crysis Benchmark with my stock Q9450 (not clocked to 3.6) and with DX10, 64bit V sync on & Very high settings maxed with 8AA forced and 8AF forced I was getting 42FPS average.

I am also getting some mad FPS on Dirt2 maxed out with 8AA and 16AF forced...its an animal card.....gonna have to get a 30" TFT as my 24" TFT will not push it....:)

Wonda-Boy, you've got a Wonda-Wallet! Enjoy it.

LOL, everything is possible....if ya sell ya as.s. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Which I cannot see nvidia beating with Fermi in Q2 of 2010.

Word is the Fermi clocks are way down on what was intended. It seems once again Nvidia will be relying on GPGPU as there are some real fears it wont be able to hold a candle against cypress...

I wish i had the money for a 5970 though :(. stupid recession...

Yep looks like nvidia will be very slow outta the blocks this time. I mean its touted Q2 before a new nvidia card by then the 5970 will be released with higher clocks making it even harder for nivida. Word is they are releasing the cards with 1.5GB GDDR5 even 2GB GDDR5 to compensate....its terrible. I really wish they had something out now to bring prices down.

Still by that time the 5870 Vapour X will even be cheaper for you guys.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

I still say Fermi will beat the 5870, but its gotten to the point where it just no longer matters. They (nV) are so late with it, that frankly the 6 series ATI is going to be their competition before too long after Fermi finally gets to the shelves :O Im more interested in seeing how things work out - how will this sort of gen splitting affect cards prices and innovation (particularly, what will nV try to get ppl to buy their product come Q4, coz the silent treatment didnt work out so well for um last year ;-p)

Ofc any competition is better than none and will help with prices, but having said that articles like this dont inspire confidence (altho it does seem to me a bit more like the industry stirring the **** than anything). Also, I dont get why ppl complain so much about the prices of performance GPU's, they are still much cheaper than they used to be, I recall paying about half a grand for a 9800XT in '04 I think and slightly more for 7800GTX's (each) in '06, so the price tag of roughly 380eur for a 5870 today doesnt seem that unreasonable, plus no doubt u'll see perhaps 10-15% come off around Fermi time.

And dont bother linking a 700eur card from Komplett, thats both insanely overpriced and a dual GPU (I wonder what the new owners have in store ^^).

Lets be straight here....it would not be hard for nvidia to beat a 5870 TBH. I mean in some tests the GTX295 still holds its own now. If nvidia just re-released the GTX295 on a single PCB with GDDR5 instead of GDDR3 then the 5870 would struggle....

I mean the original GTX295 is out now 13mths...and in that time ATi have bearly beaten the GTX295....until the 5970 came along. I honestly taught the new ATi 5870 would be alot faster...and no doubt it will be even faster with a mature set of drivers...but still.

Its very important for us GAMERZ to have both side competing for all the right reasons....I am very dissapointed in nvidia they really have took thier eye of the ball and I do believe they under-estimated ATi. And ATi deserve all the credit for coming back from the brink....its looking like nvidia will be using more memory in the new line up with reports of 1.5/2GB GDDR5 on the single cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Lets be straight here....it would not be hard for nvidia to beat a 5870 TBH.

Well there's a heck of negativity coming leaking out of Nvidia!
    I'm not sure if they'll be able better the 5870 in a single card and even if they do ATI's 5890 can't be too far away to take the crown again(could even be launched at the same time!)...

Interesting few months ahead though, but then again it's always interesting with graphics cards isn't it :)

Advertisement