Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvin Sash Windows//seals not sealing

Options
  • 01-11-2009 11:52am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭

As above has anyone had this problem with Marvin Sash Windows,ive just noticed on my windows that the dampness is is eating through the window on some of them,about 4 of them,it looks like the seal isnt doing its job,,just wonderinh has anyone had the same experience,ther is a 10yr guarentee with them as far as i remember and 20yr with the glass.
    I will contact them tomorrow and see how it goes,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭RedLady

Hi,

We had/still having the same problem with them. We have had 10 windows and the french doors replaced. The did put some outside seals on the windows but the were incorrectly installed. Then then replaced the inside seals but they too have not done the job as there is still water and wind coming through. I am still waiting for resolution and I am very fed up with them especially having forked out so much for the windows.
    Hope you get on better with them.

Regards,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

RedLady wrote: »
    Hi,

We had/still having the same problem with them. We have had 10 windows and the french doors replaced. The did put some outside seals on the windows but the were incorrectly installed. Then then replaced the inside seals but they too have not done the job as there is still water and wind coming through. I am still waiting for resolution and I am very fed up with them especially having forked out so much for the windows.
    Hope you get on better with them.

Regards,

Sorry for your trouble,its sounds like you had the same problem as me,anyway contacted them 2wks ago and they admitted that they are haveing a problem with these windows,so someone is to contact me this week to arrange a visit to inspect them and take photos of them before they do anything with them,i suppose this is the normal practice in these cases.Ihave since noticed the same is happening with my patio doors also,as with yours..
    Anyway how long were you waiting between reporting the problem and then inspecting them and replaceing them ?.I will keep you informed as to how it goes...

Yes, I would say that they are full time trying to sort this problem out. They seem to be making a little business out of it as the bill Marvin in the states back for any work they carry out.
    its hard to tell how long I was waiting but guessing I'd say that from the time you get somebody out to have a look to and if you need the windows replaced then you are looking at 6 months. Get him to check all the seals as I would say that they all need replacing. Our windows are in now about 3 years. There is mould growing along the inside panel of the wood on some windows - we have HRV in the house so I would have thought that there would be enough ventilation in the house. I am suprised that more people have not been on the forum complaining as from what I gather from the guy who called out he his full time going to peoples houses looking at this. But they are VERY slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

just wondering if anybody has problems with marvin french doors as mine are leaking

Hi,

Yes they replaced mine as they leaked as well. I would suggest that if you ahve their windows as well to check under the window to see if they are turning black in as well in case your seals are not working.

Kind Regards,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Green Cardigan

Hi
    same here, seems that paying high price does not mean good quality !!!
    Our sash windows are claded alu outside and wood inside, now after 6 years they are rotting on the bottom corner, they told us that it was an issue with some seal, not so sure as it only happen on the south side of the house...
    They told us that they would replace all the rotted windows are they under warranty, however they told me that they don't have to replace the frame , they say that a sealant is enough !!!
    I guess that it is cheap for them to change the windows but the frame requires heavy work...
    Lets hope that they will find a solution...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Did you have a choice of the core of the Aluclad windows. When they said they were replacing all the windows, but not the frames, I ssume you mean they are replacing the sashes. Can you link to the windows you purchased.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pinky123

Hello there, I think we are having the same prob with our windows. All but 10 of 32 windows do not have mould on the inside of them due to excessive condensation on them. We got our windows laqured by marvin before they installed them. Do ye think that this is also due to the window seals failing? Want to get as much info as possible before I ring them.
    Thanks

Yea faulty seals,without a doubt,its the same with everyone i have spoken to that had a problem.....

Just read all this thread and you will be well armed,but they wont be surprised at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pinky123

Thanks for the advice, rang them today and there will be no problem like you said about replacing all faulty windows but there is a lead time of min 15 weeks.Thanks again as I thought it might have been something I had done to cause prob..

P :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

My brother in law put them in his house, not a good job at all. People should use local joiners

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dannyhandy

hi there i am a joiner/window fitter by trade and have 14yrs experience, i would be willing to have a look at someones windows to see if i can see the problem in design or manufacturing. if somebody would like

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

well the ones i saw the problem was that when the sashes and doors were closed the rubbers werent sqeezing because they were grooved into the timber and the grooves were a mil or two too deep and aswell as that the cill of the exterior door frames have a standard weather seal on it. an aluminium track with rubbers bedded into it but all of these tracks contain weep holes which need to be drilled out through the frame and they werent so the groove fills with water and overflows but the rubbers wont let the water out so it comes back in. dont even get me started on the general makeup of the window frames. theyre made from kindling nails and polystyrene. all in all if i got them for free i wouldnt fit them in my own house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

Tin of puty will stop wind ond water coming in. if there is a ten year garauntee the stop being nice on the phone

Well its geting to hardball time now,,as yocan see from my posts above i have been in contact with them since November....Ive rang 3 times in the last 2 months to check on progress of claim and each time the person dealing with it vwasnt here today and would contact methe next day without doubt,,,phoned this morning and same story,so well see what happens tomorrow,,i wont be contacting them again it will be with my solicisitor and told the girl on the phone this,,,i hate being ignored,they should be standing on there heads tom keep us sweet and not have us haveing t chace them all the time.......and by the way they are awar of this thread,,,,

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

thetyreman wrote: »
    Well its geting to hardball time now,,as yocan see from my posts above i have been in contact with them since November....Ive rang 3 times in the last 2 months to check on progress of claim and each time the person dealing with it vwasnt here today and would contact methe next day without doubt,,,phoned this morning and same story,so well see what happens tomorrow,,i wont be contacting them again it will be with my solicisitor and told the girl on the phone this,,,i hate being ignored,they should be standing on there heads tom keep us sweet and not have us haveing t chace them all the time.......and by the way they are awar of this thread,,,,

With regards to your issues with your windows, and the ongoing discussions you are having with the suppliers, I think its best for you to refrain from posting any more personal details about it.

I hope you inderstand why, its in the best interest of boards.ie.

kadman

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement