Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Sunday fix - Birmingham v Manchester City (4pm)

• 01-11-2009 11:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

Only one game today which is prety poxy but at least it's us.

From the Beeb -
    Birmingham's Joe Hart is ineligible as he is on loan from Manchester City, so Maik Taylor will deputise in goal.

Gregory Vignal has recovered from a hamstring problem but Keith Fahey is doubtful with an ankle injury.

Manchester City duo Kolo Toure and Martin Petrov are available after missing the Carling Cup win against Scunthorpe with minor injuries.

City's only absentees are Robinho and Nedum Onuoha, both of whom are close to making their comebacks.

We're pretty much at full strength so it'll be interesting to see what happens. If I was picking the team today I'd go for -

Given

Zabaleta
    Toure
    Lescott
    Bridge

De Jong

Ireland
    Barry

Bellamy
    Petrov

Adebayor

Subs: Taylor, Sylvinho, Tevez, Wright-Phillips, Weiss, Santa Cruz, Johnson

Not dropping Tevez because he's been bad, it's just that Petrov has been on fire and Carlos could be a good impact player in the second half.

Ireland proved midweek why we need him to unlock defences.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I see a City win here, and by two or three goals. From a non City Fan's pov, City have been entertaining to watch this season, and I tend to root for them in most games bar the ones where they meet Liverpool.

Can any City fan tell me what has happened to Kompany? Is he injured or just dropped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Kess73 wrote: »
    Can any City fan tell me what has happened to Kompany? Is he injured or just dropped?

Shit completely forgot about Vince.

He's back now. Came on as a sub last weekend and started midweek. I'd actually drop Lescott to the bench for him and move Sylvinho out of the squad.

Forgot about Micah too. We have a massive squad!

Am surprised that Kompany is not in the playing squad for today then. I think he is a cracking player and he has been for a number of years now.

Before Liverpool got Skrtel I was always hoping we would get Kompany and have him plus Agger as a future pairing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Gotta be a Man City win for me. I'm not really expecting a high scoring match though but I do expect Man City to dominate throughout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Important for City to take advantage of Liverpools woes today and open a gap in the top four!

City play an awful lot of Sunday/Monday games. I wonder if it's an advantages or disadvantage knowing the other results every week??!!!

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Important for City to take advantage of Liverpools woes today and open a gap in the top four!

City play an awful lot of Sunday/Monday games. I wonder if it's an advantages or disadvantage knowing the other results every week??!!!

Yep we have done but after tonight there's not another one til March!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I hope SWP starts, for Fantasy League reasons.

Can't see this being more than a 1-1 or 1-0 game either way, Brum have been a hard nut to crack at home and recently they've found a decent formula in a 442 formation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Forgot about Micah too. We have a massive squad!

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I hope SWP starts, for Fantasy League reasons.

Can't see this being more than a 1-1 or 1-0 game either way, Brum have been a hard nut to crack at home and recently they've found a decent formula in a 442 formation.

Yeah, I had this as my outside bet in a couple of accumulators. Thanks to Stoke yesterday, they're long gone now but I can't see Brum conceding too many at home and I can't see City keeping a clean sheet either.

I'd say 1-1, perhaps 2-2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Glad to see Santa Cruz playing from the off today, and Tevez keeps his place too, no Ireland in the starting 11 but i'm still looking forward to this,

Should be a Man City win,

I'm going for 3-0

Given, Zabaleta, Kompany, Lescott, Bridge, Wright-Phillips, De Jong, Barry, Bellamy, Santa Cruz, Tevez.

Subs: Taylor, Richards, Johnson, Ireland, Sylvinho, Petrov, Weiss.

No Ade or Toure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

Ireland demoted to the bench yet again. What a joke, they haven't been getting results without him in the team, they bring him back last game and they demolish the opposition largely thanks to Ireland. And how does Hughes repay him? By dropping him of course. Wonder how long Ireland will put up with this nonsense.

I've not seen Zabaleta play in ages. Always liked him. I'd like to see him start more regularly for City.

Or maybe he has been starting and I've not noticed.......

Sickened Adebayor isn't starting... but at least SWP is there.

EDIT: Brum team...

Maik Taylor, Carr, Roger Johnson, Dann, Ridgewell, Larsson, Ferguson, Bowyer, McFadden, Jerome, Benitez.

Ireland demoted to the bench yet again. What a joke, they haven't been getting results without him in the team, they bring him back last game and they demolish the opposition largely thanks to Ireland. And how does Hughes repay him? By dropping him of course. Wonder how long Ireland will put up with this nonsense.

I'm a bit pissed off too. I can only suggest that Hughes sees it being quite physical in there against Bowyer and Ferguson and has gone with De Jong.

Though personally I would have De Jong, Barry and Ireland in the team.

Bellamy and SWP in the wide areas looks formidable.

I'm baffled by the fact that as soon as we get our best header of the ball fit we drop the best crosser of the ball at the club, even though he's been in great form.

That was the longest minute silence I've ever witnessed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

hughes is going all out attack with the team he has out.. should be a good game

• Advertisement

Oh yay, David Pleat :rolleyes:

Lescott was lucky there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

I don't know, he's gone too defensive, I know we are away from home but 2 holding mids?? And yea whats that all about playing a target man and dropping Petrov?

Fcuk me!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Good attempt on goal there, very unlucky!

That was lucky.

Shay Given I miss you. :(

All over the place

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Birmingham doing pretty good, shame not able to finish it fully!

• Advertisement

If anyone's watching on Sky has your picture gone funny?

Lovely ball by Carlos to Bellers. Great block though.

Good game so far. Birmiingham very much controlling the match . Should arguably be up by 2 goals.

Man City have been caught in possession too many times. Enduring an awful lot of pressure and haven't dealt with it particularly well.

How have Birmingham not scored?

We're playin a lot better football now.

Love watchin Carlos pick passes.

The game seems to be lacking that burst of energy we saw in the first 15 minutes.

Creation has been plentiful but finishing has been so poor. Shay Given has been great so far. A pleasure to watch him.

Tevez has been fantastic. He's been relatively quiet but his passing has been excellent.

SHAY GIVEN AGAIN!!! Why did we let you go. *sniff*

• Advertisement

Some keeper. Great second save.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

phew... Given save again!!!

We are showing nothing today, no midfield to speak of, absolutely zero spark. We look like an expensive Blackburn.

Barry's having a shocker. Superman on please.

Barry's having a shocker. Superman on please.

The City fans were calling for him about 20 minutes in. Barry just looks a bit clueless at times. Ireland is a more creative player than Barry.

That_Guy wrote: »
    The City fans were calling for him about 20 minutes in. Barry just looks a bit clueless at times. Ireland is a more creative player than Barry.

Tevez has shown that there's holes in that defence. Ireland would be perfect to exploit them.

• Advertisement

Tevez has shown that there's holes in that defence. Ireland would be perfect to exploit them.

IMO Ireland is a more intelligent player than Barry. Barry is quality for his range of passing and set pieces etc but Ireland from what I've seen brings more players into the game.

Loving this, Birmingham were rapid out of the traps and unlucky not to score on more then one occasion. They're creating chances very well, and have been doing very well defensively.

That_Guy wrote: »
    IMO Ireland is a more intelligent player than Barry. Barry is quality for his range of passing and set pieces etc but Ireland from what I've seen brings more players into the game.

Yeah I agree. Plus Barry has been nothing more than a liability so far today.

Doubt we'll see any changes til 65 mins though.

Yeah I agree. Plus Barry has been nothing more than a liability so far today.

Doubt we'll see any changes til 65 mins though.

I dunno about that. In order for City to win this I think they have to score first. Ireland is surely the key for that goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ooooooooooooooooooo \O/

Penalty. Harsh.

Shay Given is a fcuking beast!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Saved :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

That could be Birminghams chance blown I feel.

G'wan Shay!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement