Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering a child.

Options
  • 01-11-2009 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks

Wife recently gave birth to a 10.5-1/2oz big fella. So big he came out with a school bag.Anyway have one other child and cannot remember the procedure

We had him in drogheda. What do we do for registration, child benefit(He is dam expensive) and as my wife is working is she entitled to claim tax or something.

Thanks for the info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Congratulations - what a bruiser!

You need a copy of your passport/driving licence - her passport/driving licence as well if you go in together. Basically it's photographic ID. Then you need proof of your PPS number - social welfare card/P60/P21 for example and proof of address. That's your lot. If it's only a few days after the birth it's best to wait until you are sure that the registration office has received the notification from the hospital. You can ring ahead anyway.

More information can be found here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Thats brilliant the cit info was perfect. Now does anyone know where the office is in drogheda.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Congratulations first off!

Was he not registered in the hospital? when I had my little guy a lady went arounf to the married couples (grr) and registered babies? Child benefit comes automatically when the child is registered.

LadyE wrote: »
    Congratulations first off!

Was he not registered in the hospital? when I had my little guy a lady went arounf to the married couples (grr) and registered babies? Child benefit comes automatically when the child is registered.

He was but i am told i have to go into the registars office and they match these details against the hospitals. A bit daft imo but that is what i am told.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Thats a bit silly isn't it..whats the point of the register going around?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

I presume it is to get a record as soon as possible. Otherwise, people go home and don't get around to registering. If a child died or was harmed before being registered it would be more difficult to prove if the existence of the child was called into question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Registrar only takes initial details so most of the paperwork can be filled in before the parents get to the office. Well that's what I was told anyway...

OP, the site with list of registration offices seems to be down at the moment. Maybe if you ring the general registrars office direct to find out?

Hi All

Would just like to say thanks for your help. Found the place in drogheda. Beside the haymarket car park behind xtravision if anyone is interested.

Anyway went in que'd up had all the paperwork and guess what. The form still have not arrived from the hospital - 2 weeks ago. So sent away and told will get a letter when to come back

Would like to bet in 2 weeks will be going back in with no change.

Anyway thanks again for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

He was but i am told i have to go into the registars office and they match these details against the hospitals. A bit daft imo but that is what i am told.

I'm guessing you're not married. We had to do that too when the kids were born.

Macros42 wrote: »
    I'm guessing you're not married. We had to do that too when the kids were born.

There is a hint in the third word of the opening post ;) I am sorted though. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

There is a hint in the third word of the opening post ;) I am sorted though. Thanks

Doh! Missed that. Strange then. When ours were born we were told the hospital couldn't do the registration because we're unmarried. My brother and his wife have two kids and the hospital took care of it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It's changed over the last two years, there was a case were the woman's husband was assumed to be the father of her child when they had been seperated over two years and after that they seem to make all parents come and present themselves with documents and sign the resgister with an offical witness.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    It's changed over the last two years, there was a case were the woman's husband was assumed to be the father of her child when they had been seperated over two years and after that they seem to make all parents come and present themselves with documents and sign the resgister with an offical witness.

Thanks again that would make sense as to why we cannot remember as out first child being 5 had all this done if you are correct.

Thanks

Advertisement