Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should A Jail Sentence Be Imposed On Someone For Speeding?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Only if the speed causes an accident.
    TheNog wrote: »
    Can you explain the text I have in Italics cos to me its contradictory
    The faster you go, the more damage an accident will do. But this isn't statistically linked to - the faster you go, the more accidents you have.

What NewDubliner seems to be trying to prove is that because higher speed = more damage in an accident, higher speed is more dangerous.

It isn't, as statistics show the least amount of accidents happen on Motorways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I'll prepare for a slamming here, but 2 points and eur80.00 fine is punishment enough I think.
    He was taking the piss in an Astra, but any powerful car can hit 200kph and come back down to 120kph in surprisingly little time. I agree that the big 2 0 0 figure is making people think this guy is a murderer and a rapist.

I disagree purely because of the excessive speed these drivers were travelling at. €80 fine and 2 penalty points are not enough in these cases

A ban was deserved imho, maybe even 6months(as a fine and points to some people are meaningless), but 4 years is harsh.

Tragedy wrote: »
    A ban was deserved imho, maybe even 6months(as a fine and points to some people are meaningless), but 4 years is harsh.

Yeah I agree. 2 yrs maybe 3yrs ban at the most

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I disagree purely because of the excessive speed these drivers were travelling at. €80 fine and 2 penalty points are not enough in these cases

+1

But its still not prison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

No.
    There is every likelyhood that the prison sentence will be overturned on appeal. The Judge was making a statement that he doesn't tolerate high speeds. If he sits in the midlands he is going to have a lot of theses cases comng before him so he is letting people know that you had better not drive at lunatic speeds through his patch.

He has created debate on this subject and awareness that speeds of this nature will not be tolerated. The defendant will likely end up with the ban and the large fine, a hefty legal bill and a pushbike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Maybe, a humdinger of a fine, but prison is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

.....It's actually ridiculously rare to have multi-car crashes in ireland. Can you think of many this year? Find news stories to them? Because I could link you to 50 news stories on RTE to single vehicle collisions, or head on collisions from this year alone. How many stories of a car going out of control over the limit and hitting multiple vehicles/objects?
    Go on, I dare ya

Yawn... The point is (if I haven't spelt it out clearly enough already) is what could happen, rather than what has happened or not. Just because something hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't happen if you tempt fate hard enough.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Just how many "IF's" did you put in there...... "If you go out of control at 200kmh ", "If you crash at 5 mph" , "If you crash at 200ks it probably also wont make a difference if a seatbelt is worn or not."

Now the point of the original question is not if 200kmh is too fast, the question is should you go to Prison for it. And just so you might get your head around this, the question is not should people go to prison because of what might happen "IF" something went wrong at 200kmh the question is just simply does the punishment fit the crime. By your logic you'll lock alot of people up for what they might do and not what they've actualy done. I dont disagree with you that 200kmh excesive, infact I'd say its down right crazy and IMO totaly un-safe but Prison! Loose your licence for 10 years, huge fine relative to the wealth of the person like in Finland, I dont know but I know its not a good idea to give people who speed a criminal record.

Life is full of IF's. 'down right crazy and IMO totaly un-safe' - doesn't prison exist to protect society from such people ? If someone drives at 200 k on a public road this is something they have done, not what they might do. As far as a criminal record is concerned, well this would be a choice they would be making with their right foot, its not a case of 'But please your honour, show some mercy, the car made me do it - I had no choice...sob... sob...':rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Maybe, a humdinger of a fine, but prison is a joke.

Not if you slip on the soap. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

No.
    I've always been annoyed speeders don't get custodial sentences. I've said before it would make a lot more sense having them instead of stupid shock-advertisements of people getting mangled that even non-drivers are forced to watch.

That said, I think 3months is harsh. I'd have rather seen him get a 2-week sentence and a 1-year driving ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I've always been annoyed speeders don't get custodial sentences. I've said before it would make a lot more sense having them instead of stupid shock-advertisements of people getting mangled that even non-drivers are forced to watch.

That said, I think 3months is harsh. I'd have rather seen him get a 2-week sentence and a 1-year driving ban.

tbh I haven't seen any of these shock advertisements that are purely down to speed.
    They're all examples of horribly bad driving.

Omcd wrote: »
    Yawn... The point is (if I haven't spelt it out clearly enough already) is what could happen, rather than what has happened or not. Just because something hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't happen if you tempt fate hard enough.
    No, in reality, the point is what does happen or what is likely to happen.

Not what is extremely unlikely to happen or very rarely does happen.

So your point isn't a point, it's just mindless fearmongering masquerading as logic

No, in reality, the point is what does happen or what is likely to happen.

Not what is extremely unlikely to happen or very rarely does happen.

So your point isn't a point, it's just mindless fearmongering masquerading as logic

But it shouldn't be allowed to happen, whether or not it is likely to happen, might happen, rarely happens, etc.

Some reading for you...

http://www.erso.eu/knowledge/content/20_speed/speed_and_accident_risk.htm

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V5S-4HDX701-1&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1074678115&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=f122ba9aaeaf5a46e8558524944d7eb4

'...Other studies looked at speed dispersion and found evidence that this is also an important factor in determining crash rate. Larger differences in speed between vehicles are related to a higher crash rate. Without exception, a vehicle that moved (much) faster than other traffic around it, had a higher crash rate...'

One accident is enough. What about the cars that were racing on the M50 a few years ago and one of them ended up going over the central reservation with fatal results. Whatever about any other factor in that accident, it has to be asked would the car have gone over the other side if it wasn't going as fast ? Is that accident enough ? Or do you think it is legitimate to risk more by letting people off lightly who take it on themselves to do crazy speeds on the public roads ?

However, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

If it shouldnt be allowed to happen, all driving should be banned.

Thats what your point comes to, no ands/ifs/buts.

Ban all driving in case accidents happen.

Are you for real dude?

Are you for real dude?

Are you for real, or are you just trolling ? You know damn well what the what the point is. Dangerous driving should not be allowed. Simple as.

You're the troll, you consistently talk about banning things based purely on what might, theoretically happen.

The logical conclusion to that is to ban anything dangerous, and that includes any form of transport because everytime you get in a car/bus/plane/train, an accident might happen and you might die.

Re-read your posts, it's utter nonsense. masquerading as some sort of perverse "logic"

You're the troll, you consistently talk about banning things based purely on what might, theoretically happen.

The logical conclusion to that is to ban anything dangerous, and that includes any form of transport because everytime you get in a car/bus/plane/train, an accident might happen and you might die.

Re-read your posts, it's utter nonsense. masquerading as some sort of perverse "logic"

Thankfully most humans are capable of more developed and reasoned logic than the simple ON/OFF logic you are suggesting. I say again, you are trolling to kill a reasoned debate.

Are you for real, or are you just trolling ?
    You're the troll,
    I say again, you are trolling to kill a reasoned debate.

C'mon lads there is no need to bring down a reasonable debate to a slagging match. It does nothing for the debate.

Are you for real dude?

The point shared by many people Tragedy is that although driving is dangerous, we each have a responsibility to make it as safe as possible. The same as say dangerous occupations like working on farms, oil rigs etc etc. All these are a necessity to society but there is no need to do these activities and being reckless.

• Advertisement

Thankfully most humans are capable of more developed and reasoned logic than the simple ON/OFF logic you are suggesting. I say again, you are trolling to kill a reasoned debate.

You're the person using on/off logic. Re-read what you posted. How is that reasoned? How is it logic? How is it anything but black and white?

But it shouldn't be allowed to happen, whether or not it is likely to happen, might happen, rarely happens, etc.
    One accident is enough.

TheNog, I don't agree with many of your views but at least you put them across in a coherent manner. You believe the laws as set are a reasonable compromise between going faster, and being safer and it's up to every individual to adhere to them as best as possible.

(I actually agree with you on the last part, I just disagree with the punishment in some cases).

However, OMCD is arguing that if even one accident has happened because of a certain type of driving or speeding(whether illegal or legal), it should be banned in case it happens again.

That isn't rational, logical or coherent. It's the frenzied typing of someone who would fit in perfectly with Reverend Lovejoy's wife in The Simpsons screeching "Won't somebody please think of the children??"

It's sensationalist nonsense.

You're the person using on/off logic. Re-read what you posted. How is that reasoned? How is it logic? How is it anything but black and white?

TheNog, I don't agree with many of your views but at least you put them across in a coherent manner. You believe the laws as set are a reasonable compromise between going faster, and being safer and it's up to every individual to adhere to them as best as possible.

(I actually agree with you on the last part, I just disagree with the punishment in some cases).

However, OMCD is arguing that if even one accident has happened because of a certain type of driving or speeding(whether illegal or legal), it should be banned in case it happens again.

That isn't rational, logical or coherent. It's the frenzied typing of someone who would fit in perfectly with Reverend Lovejoy's wife in The Simpsons screeching "Won't somebody please think of the children??"

It's sensationalist nonsense.

Oh wow, take snippets out of their context and make up a storey, why dont you.

I'll try again, one last time, seeing as how you obviously cant see or deduce my point with the short version.

The accident I quoted in my example, which you failed to requote in your slagging above, I would hope any reasonable person would think things like it should not happen, and steps should be taken to prevent it happening again, which would include deterrance of the behaviour (in part, speeding) that lead to it and its severity . The debate if I recall correctly was about how severe that deterrance should be (ie prison/not prison specifically) The debate to assess how severe penalties should be in order to provide an adequate amount of deterrance has to be a least partly based at some point on the potential consequences of such behaviour. Lets be clear and put my remarks back into the context from which you have pulled them. The 'certain type of driving' we are talking about here is very excessive speeding legally constituting dangerous driving. It is the 'legally constituting dangerous driving bit' that got these folk their sentences. One fatal accident where someone was behaving in this manner
    is enough for most people not to want it to happen again, because it's avoidable, people dont have to drive at 200km/h.

Tragedy, it was you, not me, who started on the accident frequency as an arguement in this debate, and while there is certain validity in including an assessment of accident rate in the assessment of risk as one of the criteria on which to base assessment of the severity of penalties required to provide an adequate deterrance of the debated behaviour, I dont agree with your implied assertion that, just because an accident of the nature we were discussing happens very rarely, then appyling harsh penalties to deter behaviour (remember we are discussing unnecessarily high speed constituting dangerous driving) which increases the risk of such an accident happening is invalid, and that the low frequency of occurances of accidents of such nature invalidates debate on the potential consequences of such accidents should they occur. But, since this aspect of the debate is obviously something you have strong opinions on, let me ask you a specific question - how much of a body count do reckon there should be before the debated type of behaviour should be taken seriously (by seriously I mean preventative deterrance by jail) ?

There is a strong argument in the debate here that the fact the people we are discussing didnt have an accident and/or kill someone means that they should be let off relatively lightly. My opinion is that that should be neither here nor there to the severity of the baseline for penalties imposed for the behaviour we are debating. Had any of these people had had an accident at, or close to 200 kmh, then it's entirely possible (but of course not certain - careful phrasing to avoid offending someone) that rather than appearing before a judge, they would instead have been appearing before an undertaker, with very little to say for themselves (and I wont say it's not beyond the bounds of possibility they might have had some company as I suspect it'll not go down well with someone).

FYI, I am of the opinion jail (for a few months, no point IMO in long term unless they have killed someone) is not the only ultimate deterrant that could be imposed. As an alternative, I would see a very long, up to life time, ban (depending on excessiveness of behaviour and/or repeat offending) on driving as maybe even a stronger and more effective deterrance, but that also has a very severe impact on ones livelihood. Maybe offenders should have a choice, jail or very long up to lifetime ban. I think these three individuals who are the subjects of this debate were dealt with harshly as they had jail, fines and bans thrown at them, and with no precident (that I'm aware of) to give them an inkling that this was likely to happen - I'm sure it came as quite a shock to them. Specifically I think the fines in addition to jail time was harsh.

Tragedy, you say it's actually ridiculously rare to have multi-car crashes in Ireland. I'll respond to that in that exact context, not in the context of someone doing 200kmh or in the evasive context of crashes that happened this year. It happens. Often just don't get reported unless someone is killed, even then it could be a minor storey that few people spot. I saw a pile up on the new Naas Road involving around 12 - 15 vehicles, some of them very badly damaged, to the best of knowledge that wasn't reported. What about the pile up on the M7/M9 a couple of Summers back (which was extensively reported) ? How many cars and trucks were involved in that ? I might have been too only I'd driven that route the evening before and was scared by the insane speeds people were doing blindly in that thick fog, so I decided to take a different route that morning. Also, that pile up on the M50 involving the army trucks ?

Awww.. Tragedy, I see you've dragged poor ould Mrs Reverand Lovejoy into this:( What did she do to deserve that ? I'm thinking someone needs to try stay away from the telly more often or they'll start going yellow - like this little chap -> :pac: :p

Oh wow, take snippets out of their context and make up a storey, why dont you.
    I didn't take snippets out of their context, I took parts of your posts, put them in order, and showed them back to back.

It's a pity you didn't take the time to word your posts as you did the last one, but too little too late.

I would argue that one death isn;t enough. One death could be a freak accident, one death could be down to anything.
    Identify the risk, assess it, make a decision on it, implement new laws/regulations and monitor it.

That's risk management world wide, applied to as varied situations as public health or financial trading.

You argue for simply identifying what could happen, banning it and punishing people as harshly as possible.
    There's no give and take, no room for change.

I didn't take snippets out of their context, I took parts of your posts, put them in order, and showed them back to back.

It's a pity you didn't take the time to word your posts as you did the last one, but too little too late.

I would argue that one death isn;t enough. One death could be a freak accident, one death could be down to anything.
    Identify the risk, assess it, make a decision on it, implement new laws/regulations and monitor it.

That's risk management world wide, applied to as varied situations as public health or financial trading.

You argue for simply identifying what could happen, banning it and punishing people as harshly as possible.
    There's no give and take, no room for change.

People here should be able to read between the lines with regards to the context of the issues being discussed, without it being necessary for posters to write essays to put across rather elementary points.

Snippets / parts - and the difference ?

And no, if you had taken the time to carefully digest the post I took the time to very carefully write, you would see that I am argueing to the effect that identifying what could happen is one of the criteria to be assessed when assessing the harshness of an appropriate deterrent policy. One that I think is important, as I guess you have gathered by now. Another major factor influencing my opinion, as I have alluded to in previous posts, is the clearly voluntary nature of the committing of the behaviour concerned, the speeds are way too high for it to be considered as unintentional, and therefore its not the same thing as committing dangerous driving through a momentary lapse of concentration or judgement.

But all three books (jail, fine, ban) should not have been thrown at the three particular drivers we are discussing - that was too harsh in my opinion.

As I've also said before, I think drivers who have been convicted of these offences should also have to undergo driver education in order to be let back on the roads (after the deterrant part of their punishments have be played out)

I agree with you though, it is all about assessment and risk management. An authorised and trained driver, such as police driver, could do those speeds and it would be deemed as ok, so long as the driver was following the guidelines of their training and valid reasons for doing so - there's also a risk the trained driver may crash, but the risk is not deemed to be as much as that which is involved with an untrained casual driver doing those speeds.

Your example of risk management as applied to financial trading is a glaringly unfortunate one given what has happened and is happening in the financial world - resulting from certain financial organisations failing to assess and adequately legislate for the potential consequences of their risks - its not only the financial institutions that are paying the consequences of that, we all are, joe public et al :(

What happened in financial trading is risk managers were ignored :)

What I took from your post was that identifying what could happen was the major criteria, not one of many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

For seriously excessive speed jail is a good option - fines and bans can be (and are) ignored!!!

The speed limits are there for a reason!!! Yes some drivers are better than others and can drive safely at higher speeds BUT THE LAW IS SET FOR ALL DRIVERS!!!

If one driver gets away with 200km/hr (no matter how good a driver or what kind of car he/she is driving) then others will drive at that speed and will cause an accident!!!!

Don't do the time if you can't do the time!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Again dangerous driving was proven which was the speed involved.

Sorry, but dangerous driving was not proven. The only thing proven, and not disputed, is the 200kph.

In the opinion of the Bench, this warranted a conviction of 'dangerous' - which is not the same thing.

I know it's an old chestnut, but 200kph, per se, is not 'dangerous'. 200kph inappropriately, in bad conditions, or a bad vehicle, in heavy traffic, on a bad road, or a plain bad driver, is dangerous. If this were not true, then anyone, including any officer who breaks the limits (even under licence.....), would also be 'dangerous'. This is why officers are trained in high speed pursuit, and car driving generally, above that level of the 'man on the street - So that when the occasion arises, (high) speed can be undertaken safely. In other words, 'Dangerous' needs context, so taking 200kph and any number of factors would make it so, but the corollary of that is that there are certain circumstances where the combination of that speed and a other circumstance, is not dangerous.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

Following on from another Thread here Im asking the question " Do people think a prison sentence should be imposed on someone for speeding ? " The offence here is someone doing 200kmh in a 120kmh zone and they've just been landed with a 3 months prison sentence. My own opinion for what its worth is that 200 kmh is 80kmh above the limit and by our laws that is far in excess of what should be tolerated. IMO a very very large fine should be imposed. BUT it still has to be said that nobody was hurt, nobody was killed, no accident happened and it all ended on the side of the road in a hail of blue flashing lights. Yes of course it could have went very wrong but it didnt. You dont get 3 months in prison for leaving a bottle of petrol on the path but you probably would if some child drank it and died. ;)

Speeding at 80 kms/hr is not just speeding its also dangerous driving too so yes one should go to jail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Excatly my point. Now did you ever hear of anybody going to prison for that? I dont think so. Its the BIG 200KMH that everybody is getting carried away with here and they are not seeing what the actual crime was.
    No people are getting carried away because it is two hundred fcuking kilometres an hour, try hotting any sort of bump or having any sort of distraction whatsoever at that speed and see how carried away you will be then...carried away in a bag to a funeral home ya fcuking dope...there are some countries where you go to jail for exceeding the speed limit by 30%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Depends what car it is, 200km/h on a motorway in a high powered car isn't that bad tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Depends what car it is, 200km/h on a motorway in a high powered car isn't that bad tbh

it is bad,i know it may seem trivial,but if you crash at 200km/h you will be in a million pieces at the side of the road,

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    Sorry, but dangerous driving was not proven. The only thing proven, and not disputed, is the 200kph.

In the opinion of the Bench, this warranted a conviction of 'dangerous' - which is not the same thing.

I know it's an old chestnut, but 200kph, per se, is not 'dangerous'. 200kph inappropriately, in bad conditions, or a bad vehicle, in heavy traffic, on a bad road, or a plain bad driver, is dangerous. If this were not true, then anyone, including any officer who breaks the limits (even under licence.....), would also be 'dangerous'. This is why officers are trained in high speed pursuit, and car driving generally, above that level of the 'man on the street - So that when the occasion arises, (high) speed can be undertaken safely. In other words, 'Dangerous' needs context, so taking 200kph and any number of factors would make it so, but the corollary of that is that there are certain circumstances where the combination of that speed and a other circumstance, is not dangerous.

If you read Section 53 of the Road Traffic Act which is Dangerous Driving it does indeed include speed but other factors have to be taken into considersation such as other road users, weather conditions, speed limits (obviously), condition of the vehicle too if necessary etc etc. So yes dangerous driving was first of all proven to the DPP when reviewing the investigation file and then proven in court. Seeing as dont have the Garda's evidence given in court written word for word in the newspaper clip we may never know exactly the conditions above.

200kph is not fast if done in a car capable of it but only in a controlled environment such as a race track but it has no place on our public roads.

As above, only in a controlled environment.

Unrestricted roads in other countries aren't controlled environments.

And before you say "their drivers are better", you said "controlled enviroments".

Unrestricted roads in other countries aren't controlled environments.

And before you say "their drivers are better", you said "controlled enviroments".

But we are not talking about other countries, we are talking about this happening here in Ireland

bladebrew wrote: »
    it is bad,i know it may seem trivial,but if you crash at 200km/h you will be in a million pieces at the side of the road,

If you crash at 120km/h you'll also be in a million pieces on the side of the road.

200kph is not fast if done in a car capable of it but only in a controlled environment such as a race track but it has no place on our public roads.

As above, only in a controlled environment.

The Autobahn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Only if a jail sentence is imposed on staff from local authorities for posting inappropriate speed limits.

The Autobahn?

Yes that is for people in Germany who wish to open up their car and see what it can do or if in a hurry. However this discussion is based on what has happened in Ireland with Irish laws applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

The cost of putting speeders in prison would cripple the country. Tax payers money spent, more or less babysitting, adults who will learn nothing from their experience. We have difficulty in keeping serious criminals behind bars - cost to state is huge. What child care arrangements would be there for parents who are whisked off to do time? Would the state have to arrange for care? Not the solution IMO.

Yes that is for people in Germany who wish to open up their car and see what it can do or if in a hurry. However this discussion is based on what has happened in Ireland with Irish laws applied.

I know that's Germany, but it's still a public road.

I know that's Germany, but it's still a public road.

Yes an people in India cling onto the trains over there. Thats about as relevant as your post above.

Lets talk about driving at 200kph in Ireland instead, yeah?

• Advertisement

You said driving at that speed was unsafe outside controlled environments.~

That's not true, as proved by roads in other countries that aren't controlled environments.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That's not true, as proved by roads in other countries that aren't controlled environments.
    I would disagree with this. Its inferred that speed therefore is safe outside of controlled environments (what/where are these controlled environments anyhow?*).
    Speed does contribute to the seriousness of an incident - there an be no denying that. Speed will also increase the potential for an incident (potentially less reaction time, etc.).
    There are also incidents including some with fatalities on the roads in other countries that you mentioned.

* On the assumption that a controlled environment is somewhere like a racetrack then driving here is also dangerous!

Can people stop moving the target of this discussion. We can talk all we want about what other countries do but it doesnt make a blind bit of difference tbh in the cases of these fellas getting jailed for doing 200kph.

So once again I will say that with the piss poors drivers I and everyone else here knows is out there, I think its stupid to be driving at 200kph on a motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

livvy wrote: »
    The cost of putting speeders in prison would cripple the country. Tax payers money spent, more or less babysitting, adults who will learn nothing from their experience. We have difficulty in keeping serious criminals behind bars - cost to state is huge. What child care arrangements would be there for parents who are whisked off to do time? Would the state have to arrange for care? Not the solution IMO.
    +1
    This "put them in jail - that will teach them a lesson" attitude has not been thought through at all.
    What are the further reaching concequences of jailing someone for 3 months? Its too harsh a sentence in my view.
    A heavy fine with points should act as a deterant enough. If not or for a serial offender, then maybe a jail sentence but for a first time offender......
    i donno.....

Yes an people in India cling onto the trains over there. Thats about as relevant as your post above.

Lets talk about driving at 200kph in Ireland instead, yeah?

:o my bad, Nog. Only noticed that you said "our public roads".

However, there's a fair few roads in Ireland that could handel them kind of speeds methinks.

However, there's a fair few roads in Ireland that could handel them kind of speeds methinks.

I agree but its the minority of our drivers who cant.

I agree but its the minority of our drivers who cant.

Can't agrue with you on that one!

kbannon wrote: »
    Speed will also increase the potential for an incident (potentially less reaction time, etc.).
    There are also incidents including some with fatalities on the roads in other countries that you mentioned.
    Speed doesn't increase the potential for an accident. Witness accident rates on Motorways.

If speed increased the potential for an accident(re less reaction time/etc), that would be mirrored in an increase in the accident rate.
    Statistics are statistics.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I never mentioned motorways, did I?

Motorways are safer because there are no turn offs, no oncoming traffic (generally), good surfaces and overtaking possibilities.

These factors allow for the capability to drive faster. However, the fact is that if someone pulls out in front of you on a motorway and you are 50m behind them doing 120km/h there is less reaction time than compared to doing 100km/h etc.

What happens when you aquaplane at 120km/h on a motorway? Is the outcome the same when you are only doing 70km/h? What happens when you come across the same puddle at 10km/h?

However, move the road parameter over towards N roads and lower and speed definitely has an impact on the potential severity of an incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭eyesofvenus

Which again is exactly the point. 200 in an 120 zone is 40% over the limit. 100 in a 50 zone is 100% over the limit. The likely hood of an accident happening increases doing 200kmh thats for sure but the point is no accident happened. On the other hand 2 cars hitting each other a 120kmh is going to end in pain anyway. If I park outside said bank with a perfectly legal shotgun in the boot of my car should I go to prison because I might have robbed the bank? The answer is no. This guy broke the speed limit by 40% and you want to send him to prison...forget about 200kmh and look at the offence.
    Just a bit of maths but it seems to be 60%(3/5) over speed limit if my percentages in school was worth anything :)

And crashing your vehicle at 100km/h is one thing but at twice that speed, il leave you to imagine...

Advertisement