Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Careful now

Options
  • 01-11-2009 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I know people are concerned/frigtened/confused/worried/angry/etc. with the current licensing SNAFU.

People dunno whether to keep their firearms at home, dealer, garda station. local priest, etc.

I also know that they have the best intentions in offering advice to other here

however

PLEASE

Stop specifying, in a public forum, where your firearms are.

B'Man

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

once you have applyed for your renewal your ok according to my local FO your in the system. All my licences have expired as of yesterday but its not my fault that I dont have my new ones

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

4gun wrote: »
    once you have applyed for your renewal your ok according to my local FO your in the system. All my licences have expired as of yesterday but its not my fault that I dont have my new ones

And that is the crux of my case, your honour. Please go easy on me.:D

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Not a problem of your own making.You did what is required of you as a lawful applicant.You had the revelant paperwork in within the required time,you were not informed of a refusal,or even of recipt of your application,or a decision pending,or what you must do with the said firearms in the meantime,wether to hand them in or not. Technically even moving them without a liscense is illegal unless you have an order of transfer to a dealer... signed off by the Super as well...:)...Case dismissed.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Not a problem of your own making.You did what is required of you as a lawful applicant.You had the revelant paperwork in within the required time,you were not informed of a refusal,or even of recipt of your application,or a decision pending

The issuing person has three months from receipt of the completed application. Did anyone have everything submitted back in July?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

Regardless of who has what where and the reasoning behind it, can people stop outlining their arguments, case approaches and general information about potential legal defences in public.

What an ideal position the powers that be are in, they sit back say nothing and if necessary, arrive in Court with an answer for many arguments that the Shooting side will use, already prepared.

Also, no wonder the NGBs are so quiet, if they have to take action in the coming days \ weeks then at least nobody will have been dissecting their strategy in public before they have an opportunity to use it at the correct forum.

By all means we need to know what is happening around the country. Who is \ not getting their aperwork. In particular who is \ not getting CF Handgun lics and where their appear to be blanket bans on mods and handguns.

This is a particular strength of Boards and the posters that use it. However, people are paid to read the posts here and collate the information for possible future use against the shooting community - never forget that.

This is my own opinion and no offence intended to anyone but it needs to be said. Don't agree, then that's fair enough - but I'm not getting into tennis over it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

BornToKill wrote: »
    The issuing person has three months from receipt of the completed application. Did anyone have everything submitted back in July?
    Seeing as the forms weren't available in Garda Stations until the first week of August, and the underlying legislation that you had to sign your compliance to not published until around the same time, that would have been some feat ;)

Not to mention not knowing for sure what was deemed a restricted pistol until the Garda Commissioner's guidelines were issued on 4th September.....

rrpc wrote: »
    Seeing as the forms weren't available in Garda Stations until the first week of August, and the underlying legislation that you had to sign your compliance to not published until around the same time, that would have been some feat ;)

Not to mention not knowing for sure what was deemed a restricted pistol until the Garda Commissioner's guidelines were issued on 4th September.....

Yes it would have been quite a feat okay but the difficulty of getting it done in time does have the effect now of muddying the waters. G45's defence is just not absolute. And it goes without saying who will be the defendant. ;)
    Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Not a problem of your own making.You did what is required of you as a lawful applicant.You had the revelant paperwork in within the required time,you were not informed of a refusal,or even of recipt of your application,or a decision pending,or what you must do with the said firearms in the meantime,wether to hand them in or not. Technically even moving them without a liscense is illegal unless you have an order of transfer to a dealer... signed off by the Super as well...:)...Case dismissed.

rrpc wrote: »

Now I didn't get my extension letter until mid september and is said that an application was available at the following web or your local garda station..bla bla bla.. so in i went as my printer was at the time on the blink... local garda where the local super resides and was told that they never nad any and was not sure when they would have them...I asked would they have them in Tralee so they rang there to find out ...lss they had a couple went there asked for FAC forms My application went in early october they didnt process them locally until last week
    I have done all that was within my capability to ensure my application was in as early as i could and even if it went in on the 30th october iwould be still in on time
    so It's not my fault if i have an unlicenced firearm in my posession, the system has failed to provide my licences on time Q.E.D.:D

4gun wrote: »
    Now I didn't get my extension letter until mid september and is said that an application was available at the following web or your local garda station..bla bla bla.. so in i went as my printer was at the time on the blink... local garda where the local super resides and was told that they never nad any and was not sure when they would have them...I asked would they have them in Tralee so they rang there to find out ...lss they had a couple went there asked for FAC forms My application went in early october they didnt process them locally until last week
    I have done all that was within my capability to ensure my application was in as early as i could and even if it went in on the 30th october iwould be still in on time
    so It's not my fault if i have an unlicenced firearm in my posession, the system has failed to provide my licences on time Q.E.D.:D

The defence rests, your honour. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

G45's defence is just not absolute. And it goes without saying who will be the defendant. ;)
    Never said it was...However there is still a presumption of innocent until proven guilty ,and lawful excuse in Irish Law.
    Sent mine in Aug 25th..Called into the station first week in Aug for a chat .Took me three weeks to do seven applications.Got the extensions mid 2nd week in Aug,if I remember rightly
    The lads hadnt even seen them,and wanted a copy of the ones I had downloaded.Called me in Mid Oct to check safe and alarm[again] and quiery the amount of ammo per gun..So please tell me what else I and others can do to speed this up or stay within the law???

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

if anyone is wondering then the precedent would be the NCT and the new penalty points If you were waiting for your nct (as long as you had applied)you were exempt from prosecution or some thing like that

well that would be my opening argument anyway

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Bananaman wrote: »
    Folks,

I know people are concerned/frigtened/confused/worried/angry/etc. with the current licensing SNAFU.

People dunno whether to keep their firearms at home, dealer, garda station. local priest, etc.

I also know that they have the best intentions in offering advice to other here

however

PLEASE

Stop specifying, in a public forum, where your firearms are.

B'Man

Personally, I'd generalise that a bit further:
    • Don't put anything on the internet that you don't want someone else to see. If it's on the net, it's not a secret any more.
    • You're not anonymous. Write every post like you would if you were signing it with your real name. It's pretty hard to post without giving away clues to your identity so don't rely on the pseudo-anonymity here to "protect" you if push comes to shove. You don't need anything more than the search functionality to work out who many of the prolific posters here are.

Advertisement