Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Newsreader.

• 01-11-2009 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭

I quite like Newstalk, in fairly small doses,particularly at weekends .

Makes a change from the somewhat vapid and vacuous stuff RTE1 turn out before 1100hrs.

They have a newsreader Kirsteen O'Sullivan who for some unknown reason (to me anyway) reads the news in a kind of a breathy voice with Scottish undertones.

Now ,one bulletin I can absorb ,but every half hour is a tad grating.

Does she think that kind of delivery is sexy, no honey it's not,certainly not for news reportage, and most certainly I could not take more than one or two bulletins.

Message to Kirsteen, lose the throaty voice and the soft Ss, read the news in your normal voice and save the current one for the nightclubs after 0330.

Might have some impact then

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

i must say i do like her voice ......alot !!
    but as the saying goes to each their own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Her performance caught my ears as well. Sounded like a parody of Marilyn Monroe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

shes better than tara whatshername who does the bulletins on weekdays , her assertive and overly loud tone is headwrecking in the extreme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I think Kirsteen's delivery is very good in comparrisson to say 'Tara Duggan' who does my head-in, Tara makes every story sound like its the end of the world, she sounds hard, brash, harsh, & her delivery might even have a tendancy to make one depressed. On the other hand I think Kirsteen is a 'breath of fresh air' :)

I think the worst voice of all is Sharon Ní Bheoláin on the Six One News > awful, truly awful voice ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Camelot wrote: »
    I think Kirsteen's delivery is very good in comparrisson to say 'Tara Duggan' who does my head-in, Tara makes every story sound like its the end of the world, she sounds hard, brash, harsh, & her delivery might even have a tendancy to make one depressed. On the other hand I think Kirsteen is a 'breath of fresh air' :)

I think the worst voice of all is Sharon Ní Bheoláin on the Six One News > awful, truly awful voice ....

never got the love for sharon ni bheolain myself , a phoney with the charisma of a gravestone , i dont even rate her looks that high

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 sweet_jesus

I really like Kirsteen's voice...it's soft yet authoritative (without sounding preachy or totally fake like some of the other Newstalk readers) and the reason why she speaks with Scottish undertones is because she is Scottish!!! In addition, if you watch her presenting the Europa League on 3e, you'll see that that is her normal voice!

The above notwithstanding, I much prefer Newstalks news - gets my vote over RTE's "offerings" any day!

I quite like Newstalk, in fairly small doses,particularly at weekends .

Makes a change from the somewhat vapid and vacuous stuff RTE1 turn out before 1100hrs.

They have a newsreader Kirsteen O'Sullivan who for some unknown reason (to me anyway) reads the news in a kind of a breathy voice with Scottish undertones.

Now ,one bulletin I can absorb ,but every half hour is a tad grating.

Does she think that kind of delivery is sexy, no honey it's not,certainly not for news reportage, and most certainly I could not take more than one or two bulletins.

Message to Kirsteen, lose the throaty voice and the soft Ss, read the news in your normal voice and save the current one for the nightclubs after 0330.

Might have some impact then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭jimbozo

Voice is annoying and she sounded like a twat when she was on the weekend blend panel. In other news she is pretty hot. Heres a compilation of her on TV she uploaded herself:

p.s. she is not the dude with the glasses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

That's nowhere like the voice she uses on Newstalk, not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

The voice on Newstalk that really wrecks my head is the female one that does all the inserts and ads (the Crown paints one being one example).

Don't know why it bugs me so much, maybe its because I can't imagine anyone ever speaking like that in real life.

As for Kirsteen, she's not the worst although I used to find George Hook's incessant references to the "lovely" Kirsteen pretty cringe-worthy.

Tara Duggan is OK although I could do without hearing her sucking in air at the end of every sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Don't listen to any interviews with Joan Burton so...like a frikken bellows.

Listen out for it;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Don't listen to any interviews with Joan Burton so...like a frikken bellows.

Listen out for it;)

http://audiostore.todayfm.com/audio/breakfast/Gift_dragonsden.mp3

1:34 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

tbh that linky no worky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

sry - left the trailing slash - should be good now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aduggan4

Tara is my aunty she is far from hard brash or harsh, don't make assumptions about people you don't know just because of what she sounds like..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

aduggan4 wrote: »
    Tara is my aunty she is far from hard brash or harsh, don't make assumptions about people you don't know just because of what she sounds like..

Welcome to Boards. No need to be houghty toughty in your first post. People can have opinions, some good, some bad and there is'nt really anything one can do about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

O dear lord.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

He's judging what she sounds like based on what she sounds like. Sounds like sound reasoning to me.

Juliette GASH is my favourite. Her nephew around?

I think that Scottish woman just sounds like that - for her radio voice at least. I doubt she's trying to sound sexy when telling us about the latest gangland murder.

Advertisement