Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bernese mountain dog

Options
  • 01-11-2009 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I would like your thoughts on a situation i am in. I placed an order for a bernese mountain dog puppy four months ago from a breeder in cork. The litter is due early next year Mar/apr. We spoke several time on the phone and all was well. I was told i was first on the list etc. I decided to send a small deposit to show my intent and that i was not a time waster. To my surprise i got an email back blowing me away and sent back my deposit. He said i lacked the empathy to own a dog and should basically go away. He also said there were 16 other infront of me. I feel really screwed over and violated. Im not one dwell on things but this has really upset me and my wife as we have 7 month old baby girl who is crazy about dogs! I dont want other to be lead onlike i was and ui would like to make people aware.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

It's very hard for us to give opinions without seeing the letter your sent with the deposit and the e-mail you received from the breeder.

Maybe he/she thought it was a bit of a bribe to get on top of the list?

On another point- a Bernese and a 7 month old baby sounds completely crazy to me. Have you experience of owning such a huge dog whilst having a small baby before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

00112984 wrote: »
    On another point- a Bernese and a 7 month old baby sounds completely crazy to me. Have you experience of owning such a huge dog whilst having a small baby before?

Huge dogs are actually usually a lot more gentle than small dogs, from my experience. They're "softer" to play with and usually incredibly good with children.

I'd be much more wary if it were something smaller, they tend to be quite muscular and "hard" and not particularly cuddly, and sometimes quite snappy.

I see no problem with their choice, I'd imagine the OP has researched into it, and Bernese Mountain dogs are good with kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

how can a 7 month old baby b crazy about dogs?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 calyx

Thanks for the replys. To answer your question i was told from the start that i was the first person on the list. A bribe is not an issue or intent.

Bernese mountain dogs are said to be one the best family dogs. I have researched this from owners around the country and world.

I made a typo when i said 7 month old baby, 17 months is what it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

that sounds really strange!! Would you post a summary of your correspondances?

Its weird that he said you were first on the list and then completely changed his mind. Maybe he's all about the money and someone else came in and offered to pay more for the pup?

Are there many other breeders out there that you can contact? If you were waiting this long to get this pup, it shouldnt be too much of a struggle to wait a few months longer for another pup.

Good luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

i got 6 week old German Shep/Newfoudland (we think) pups at the moment, have 6, looking for homes for two of the little ladies if your interested - they will be big dogs :D

Advertisement