Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how long should garlic last

Options
  • 01-11-2009 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

i have even got a "garlic holder" - a pottery thing with holes in it and a cork top and it goes off really quickly. tried putting in fridge and same. i thought it should last a couple of weeks at least like onions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

If you grow it, you get to see how long it should last. I grew some for the first time this year. Harvested it in early August, we used the last of it a week ago. I stored it hanging in bunches in the garage. It was still succulent and juicy, with the pungent oils still oozing out as I cut it up. I reckon some of the shop bought stuff is last seasons batch.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I planted 30 odd cloves yesterday form the Garlic Farm in Jersey, UK.http://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/

An intro. pack, looking forward to it next summer. Cloves were huge and screamed flavour.
    Early Purple Wight.
    Iberian Wight.
    Solent Wight.

Planet X wrote: »
    I planted 30 odd cloves yesterday form the Garlic Farm in Jersey, UK.http://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/

An intro. pack, looking forward to it next summer. Cloves were huge and screamed flavour.
    Early Purple Wight.
    Iberian Wight.
    Solent Wight.

Tried and tested?

Minder wrote: »
    Tried and tested?

How do you mean?

Have you grown those varities before?

• Advertisement

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

I find I have about a two month gap with garlic - the garlic of the previous year has become unusable two months before the next year's garlic is ready to harvest. However, this is based on using a single variety and I intend trying out other varieties in future years. Have three varieties growing at present.

Advertisement