Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this illegal?

• 01-11-2009 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Need to clarify this one please.

In Ireland, is it legal to make a backup of a dvd you own. I have some of my kids dvd's I'd like to backup as the originals are very worn after several viewings.

I am not 100% sure how to make a dvd backup so I have asked a friend to do it for me. I will pay him a small fee for doing this. This will cover his time and labour. Is this illegal to do this? He will merely backup up the disc and give me the copy, there will be no copied covers etc. and the words BACKUP COPY will be written on the disc surface, so it will be obvious it is a backup only.

Please do NOT offer advice on how to backup the DVD's myself thanks.

All advice appreciated.

~livEwirE~

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Who cares? :pac:

Just do it, as they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

The main thing is paying my buddy to make the backup copies for me. Is the 'payment' illegal?

I could suggest doing it yourself, for free, as it is very easy but you seem set against that.

Unless your mate is an undercover cop I don't think you'll end up in jail.

Cheers Bob, sounds like it could be okay. I don't really have the time to do it myself, I'm not entirely dead set against it. If I was to do it myself what is the easiest/fastest software to use, preferably 'one click' software;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Technically it's illegal to back up a DVD that you own. We don't have a 'fair useage' clause here unfortunately as far as I know. Kinda stupid to be frank, given how easily a disc can be damaged or scratched. Personally I have all my DVDs backed up onto hard-drives. I still have the discs, just have them ripped to HDD for convenience and as a backup.

It doesnt really matter if you're paying a buddy to do it or do it yourself, its all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Is it even legal to lend a Dvd to a mate?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Probably not. AFAIK you're allowed to make backups in the UK.
    And yes there are plent of quick "one click" backup programs out there.

livEwirE wrote: »
    Cheers Bob, sounds like it could be okay. I don't really have the time to do it myself, I'm not entirely dead set against it. If I was to do it myself what is the easiest/fastest software to use, preferably 'one click' software;)

Commercial DVDs are usually dual layered DVDs with a capacity of 8.5 GB. Movies, plus extras, menus, etc might be in the region of 5-8GB.

Standard recordable DVDs are usually single layered with a capacity of 4.7 GB.

So you have two choices.

1) Use DVD Decrypter to save the entire DVD to your hard drive for archival purposes. Maybe purchase some dual layered recordable DVDs (fairly expensive and your burner needs to support them) and burn the DVDs at a later date.

2) Use DVD Shrink which will decrypt and "shrink" a full sized DVD down to under 4.7GB, by removing extras, extra sound tracks and/or re-encoding the whole DVD to a smaller size. You can save the resulting smaller DVD to your hard drive and then burn it to a standard recordable DVD with some CD/DVD burning software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Is it even legal to lend a Dvd to a mate?
    im not sure its illegal.

Great advice here guys, I might go down the route of buying some blank DL disks(Verbatim) and find a one click program to backup the discs, cheers for all the answers, now all I gotta do is find some of those DL discs at a cheap price :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement