Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions on masters in US!

• 01-11-2009 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me or direct me to someone who I could talk to. I'm trying to apply for Masters in the states for Music Technology. Overall there are about 50 or 60 courses in the whole country that I could do but funding them doesn't seem optional. Has anyone experience in getting scholarships in the states? Or know how they judge? My head is spinning from all the information on the internet. I have to get my portfolio done in a month and a half and take the GREs if I want to apply but I need the scholarship to actually go to it. Oh and anyone know a good book I can find in Ireland on the GREs? I'm heading over to the states for work in about a month so that will give me time to study hopefully.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Adrock-aka

Would love to help you out here but i'm in the same boat! Theres too much information to gather and make sense of. Have you made any progress since posting this?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

crap thought it was a golf question:D sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I found a course that only requires a portfolio in New York. I applied to the Fullbright scholarship, so fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭kabuk1

lil_lisa wrote: »
    I found a course that only requires a portfolio in New York. I applied to the Fullbright scholarship, so fingers crossed!

Fullbright is your best chance of a full ride. Best of luck.

Other options are to check the universities you're applying to. Many will offer a teaching assistantship or a graduate assistantship. Some may not offer it until your second year in the masters course, but it's an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Does the Fulbright give a free ride? AFAIK it gives you 20k for the year (but doesn't cover tuition or anything specific)

Open for correction there.

• Advertisement

Does the Fulbright give a free ride? AFAIK it gives you 20k for the year (but doesn't cover tuition or anything specific)

Open for correction there.

Thanks for the correction. My apologies. I'm a US citizen and there are countries I can study in where the Fulbright will cover all tuition and fees plus provide a living stipend.

Depending on the uni you apply to, the 20K could cover the tuition and fees for the first year. After the first year of a masters, you would be eligible to apply for a teaching assistantship and/or a graduate assistanship that would bring your tuition down to home fees + a living stipend. The awards for the assistanships will vary from uni to uni and program to program.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Aye, I'd say it's a risky gamble for a non-US citizen though; from the universities I know in the US, it's fairly hard to get on the TA programs as a non-PHD student and if you lack the cash/means to get a loan you're in a dodgy position (as most student US loans require a cosignor)

Aye, I'd say it's a risky gamble for a non-US citizen though; from the universities I know in the US, it's fairly hard to get on the TA programs as a non-PHD student and if you lack the cash/means to get a loan you're in a dodgy position (as most student US loans require a cosignor)

It can be. It really depends on the university and the course. The best thing for anyone to do is research and find as much info as possible and follow it up by contacting the universities. There are some masters programs that guarantee funding to all who are accepted. It really does vary from uni to uni and program to program within the unis.

Advertisement