Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice re western australia

Options
  • 01-11-2009 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

myself and my boyfriend are going to western australia for the month of december!we have no definite plans made-where to go, what to see etc. has anyone got any advice re what to see and do????
    any help would be appreciated!;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

Have been to Western Australia a couple of times, If you dont mind me asking, what brings you to WA that time of year? AS the east Oz around christmas/new year has much more to offer, as opposed to 1 month in WA.

Places to go in WA - Freo, Margerat River, parts of Mandurah, Perth etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

broome
    monkey mia
    perth for a bit, including kings park, little creatures pub and Rottnest island
    margaret river

think thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭niborm

North of Perth...

If you are interested in diving, you should go and see the Ningaloo reef basing yourself in Exmouth or Coral Bay (or both) - it really is incredible, and if diving is too much, there is great snorkelling to be had.

I wouldn't be so sure about Broome in December as it is the wet season, limiting what you can do somewhat.

Karajini National Park is stunning, as is Kalbarri NP. Kalbarri has some great coastline too and is a decent sized town for this part of Australia. And if you are into watersports, this is a well known windsurfing spot.

South of Perth...

Margaret River and surrounding vineyards are worth a visit although I thought the wine was overrated.

I'd recommend Yallingup if you can surf (big waves!). Valley of the Giants near Walpole was very impressive and Denmark has some excellent beaches with a good mix of surfing and swimming.

In and around Perth, Rottnest is definitely worth a day of cycling and swimming.

Beachband recommends you go to the east coast of Australia - I would strongly disagree as I think the quality of accommodation is substandard and overpriced on the east coast, especially in what is peak season. Of course, it depends what you are looking for, and I can see why somebody would prefer the east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

niborm wrote: »

Beachband recommends you go to the east coast of Australia - I would strongly disagree as I think the quality of accommodation is substandard and overpriced on the east coast, especially in what is peak season. Of course, it depends what you are looking for, and I can see why somebody would prefer the east coast.

The quality of accomodation can be substandard in WA too, WA has nearly caught up with the east now on overpricing. I guess thats what I meant about, what is the OP looking for, reasons why WA for december, because it could become quiet limiting, and getting an inter flight from WA to East could end up being expensive at this time of year, Still WA is fab, Rotto is overrated though.

Also the temperature may be a bit more appealing in the east this time of year, nice mid 20's. WA will be high 20's/ mid 30's

Broome is baking at the mo, a high of 32 degrees today, spring is taking hold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

All of WA (with the exception of Perth) is pretty cool, except each different place is very far away from the next...its not an easy place to just get from one town to the next and there is generally nothing in between them so a month will pass in no time and most of that will be spent travelling

Ningaloo is unreal for snorkelling though (although I'm not sure how bad it might be affected by the bug oil slick there at the moment), the whole Kimberley region is spectacular and Coral (Immoral) Bay can't even be written about without getting a life ban from boards :)

I'm not too sure about the south of WA (as I was there in July which was too wet and windy) but it should be nice in December

• Advertisement
Advertisement