Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Centering view finder

• 01-11-2009 4:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

is it possible to calibrated the viewfinder.

basically i am only after noticing it and its driving me mad.

basically the centre square is not centre. when i centre the frame and take the picture the picture which i though was in the middle of the frame is now slightly higher and to the right.

Is this just the way the camera is? or is there something i can about it apart from just aiming off centre

its a sony a 200

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Are you sure it's not your shooting technique? No offence intended since I used to have a similar problem.

Check with Sony, they might cover this under warranty. Maybe even try your local camera shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

nope i tried shooting dead on as in perpendicular from a sheet of paper with a cross drawn on it and its appearing higher and to the right.

Try the following:

Turn off and on or on and off (depending on your current settings) the image stabilisation.

Try running the clean mode.

If that doesn't help then you'd have to get in contact with the good people of Sony's customer support.

Done......... no difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

sounds like your mirror is f*cked. If its not exactly level and straight the viewfinder image will be off. Did you drop the camera recently?

• Advertisement

nope definately did not drop the camera.

is this problem easily fixed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Whats the coverage on the viewfinder ? Most consumer level cameras have maybe 90 or 95% coverage, and its rarely exactly centered, so you'll notice varied extra bits around the edges that weren't in your original TTVF view.

its not that the picture is cropped. the image is off centre by a good bit.

i would have to aim a good bit off to centre the picture.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It could be the alignment of the Reflex Mirror or the Focus Screen.

Is the camera under warranty?

Send it in to Sony.

And you're welcome!

• Advertisement

The camera was only bought in august so i would imagine it is still under warranty.

Well if it is under warranty will it not be the same bringing it back to the shop i got it in?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Yes & they will send it away.

Good luck with it.

Thanks for everyones help

well brought it back to the shop . the very halpful lads in pixels on liffey street reckoned the sensor was stuck.

so they sent it back. they had never once sent back a sony camera..... trust me to be the exception

Martron wrote: »
    well brought it back to the shop . the very halpful lads in pixels on liffey street reckoned the sensor was stuck.

They said the sensor was stuck !!??!! Remind me not to go into pixels anytime soon !

Well at least they sent it back to Sony.

I really do not know what they mean about the Sensor being stuck?

Hold on .... thinking as I type here. He may well be correct. The Sony's have in body IS, the Sensor "floats" & is moved to stablise the image. IIRC it can move 2mm each way. So .... if it got stuck to one side then it would exhibit the symptoms you describe.

I think the lad in Pixels got it right. Daire, you may owe him anpology! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭petercox

Sounds to me more like the focusing screen in the viewfinder was off-center. That can happen sometimes if there's a bit of play in the setting. Usually possible to reseat it.

Cheers,
    Peter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I'd reckon you're dead right CS. Though i do remember reading somewhere that it would take a almighty wallop to displace the IS system on the KM 7D, but maybe it was slighty faulty to start with..........

I still think in body IS is better though :P

CabanSail wrote: »
    Well at least they sent it back to Sony.

Hold on .... thinking as I type here. He may well be correct. The Sony's have in body IS, the Sensor "floats" & is moved to stablise the image. IIRC it can move 2mm each way. So .... if it got stuck to one side then it would exhibit the symptoms you describe.

I think the lad in Pixels got it right. Daire, you may owe him anpology! :D

Having done a bit of reading ... it actually looks as though I may be wrong all right :rolleyes: OTOH, 2mm means that the view in the viewfinder can actually be off by over 12% compared to the eventual image :confused: No wonder Sony never produced a professional body, no-one would buy it !

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭the_tractor

CabanSail wrote: »

:D

Yeah - that's what it would be.
    The Sony and Pentax cameras have in body IS - so you can actually hear the sensor moving about then the camera is powered off - never heard of it getting stuck though.

• Advertisement

yeah when you turn it on and off you an hear it moving.

but thinking now there was a definate noise of a motor that was not there beore which strenghtens my idea of the sensor.

hopefully it will come back fixed

well my camera is not coming back....... 6 weeks later and an email to sony and they are replacing my a200 with an a 230!!!

so no complaints there. picking it up tomorrow.

only problem is that the kit lens is now 18mm-55mm my other lens went up to 70mm . and my compact flash card wont fit it.

but i am getting newer better camera!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Martron wrote: »
    well my camera is not coming back....... 6 weeks later and an email to sony and they are replacing my a200 with an a 230!!!

so no complaints there. picking it up tomorrow.

only problem is that the kit lens is now 18mm-55mm my other lens went up to 70mm . and my compact flash card wont fit it.

but i am getting newer better camera!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

Thanks for feedback, always nice to know the end result.
    Good luck with your new camera

thurns out the sensor was stuck. the cleaning function got stuck and it obviously cheaper to bin it than fix it.

unfortunately i had to give the battery and lens with it when it was getting fixed.

not complaing though. cant wait to get my hands back on the camer. just in time for christmas too!!!

Advertisement