Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CBT and Clinical Psychology -Advice??

• 01-11-2009 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi, I was wondering could anyone advise me; I have an undergraduate degree in psychology and a couple of years experience in working with children and adolescents and I am hoping to do clinical psychology. In order to increase my chances of getting on the course Im looking at doing a masters, I was just wondering does anyone know if the MSc in CBT for children and adolescents in UCD would be a relevant masters for getting onto the clinical course. I think the course sounds really interesting and its part time which would suit me as im working. I know the MSc in Applied Psychology would be more relevant but I only got a 2:2 so wouldnt be accepted onto the course..
    Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm sure you know that the path to clinical can be a bit of a minefield. I don't have any experience of it myself, but it's something a lot of people are interested in. I'm not sure precise nature of the MSc might matter all that much, once you can show it has some reasonable breadth and depth, that you can apply it do the discipline, if it broadened your skills base and might help with a client group. Basically that it's not just something to lash down on the CV although in a way I suppose it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

Hi, I was wondering could anyone advise me; I have an undergraduate degree in psychology and a couple of years experience in working with children and adolescents and I am hoping to do clinical psychology. In order to increase my chances of getting on the course Im looking at doing a masters, I was just wondering does anyone know if the MSc in CBT for children and adolescents in UCD would be a relevant masters for getting onto the clinical course. I think the course sounds really interesting and its part time which would suit me as im working. I know the MSc in Applied Psychology would be more relevant but I only got a 2:2 so wouldnt be accepted onto the course..
    Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated :)

Yep the course would help you in your application for clinical, the MSc in CBT in UCD is an excellent course and would greatly help you in trying to get in. Alot of other Masters are relevant too such as the Applied Psychology masters in Trinity, the Forensic Psychology masters in UCC or the CBT course in Queens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

and of course Counselling Psychology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭New.White.Socks

The amount of masters that are relevant to clincal psy is massive, which makes sense considering the breadth of clincal psychology. I would say choose a course that you're interested in, and of course that is respected and well established. I know someone who did a masters in neuropharmacology before doing the clincal masters.

Advertisement