Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thank you BBC

• 01-11-2009 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

After 10 years of F1 on ITV I can say that I am so grateful to the BBC for this year...I think everybody should be also!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

The fact there's no ad breaks really seals it tbh. They used to drive me crazy on ITV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

celticfc wrote: »
    The fact there's no ad breaks really seals it tbh. They used to drive me crazy on ITV.

not to mention the annoying sponsors ones (Honda usually)

now all they need is to get rid of leggard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Between the panel being much improved,The F1 forum aswell as being able to hear Crofty and Davidson's 5live commentary on the red button just has you hooked all afternoon. The energy those guys have in their commentary puts Brundle and legard to shame in my opinion.

Jake Humphrey has done very well too,the only irk I would have is to many "How special/important is it? Oh its very special/important, type of questions. Apart from that good job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

me@ucd wrote: »
    now all they need is to get rid of leggard.
    +1000 Did anyone notice Brundle getting more annoyed with him than usual, and just ignoring some of his more stupid questions and remarks, even after he repeated some of them thinking Brundle hadn't heard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I have to admit sometimes on ITV they had features in the build up to the race and I'd feel like snoozing as they were boring. Love the BBC coverage. The forum is class as they can sit and chat about the race for a good while with a fair bit of time as well. Not some mad rush to get back to the depressing suicide inducing normal Sunday tv programme schedule :)

No ad breaks, it's so f*****g brilliant. I also like that they have all of the stuff online. Got to listen/watch the practise on Friday at work as well, happy days.

Roll on Bahrain 2010 :)

I really like Jake Humphrey. I think through his presenting style, his blog and the way he comes across, he seems like a really cool guy and easy to get on with. Really sound. He was bricking it before the qualifying and race at Silverstone. I can't imagine many other TV presenters showing that. They're too busy trying to look cool and like nothing would phase them. It makes people seem much more human/normal that way and allows us to relate to them.

Not mad about Legard, I guess you could call him the weak link in "The Chain". Pun intended :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Fully agree here.

For Sure, the guys back at the factory have done a fantastic job for the BBC, it's been a real team effort, and there's too many people to thank individually. They've come along and stolen a march at the start of the season on their predecessors with their interpretation of the rules of broadcasting, and come along with a couple of upgrades to each race to keep themselves right up at the top challenging for wins. Brundle has shown that a guy with acres of experience and years in the sport can be just as hungry as a new, young, photogenic rival and really imposed himself on the gridwalk. Pushing the boundaries of the rules a bit, but all fair game with such a tight gap to fill, and you've got to have the stones to have the success in F1. :) Their young recruit has shown immense class under pressure, and holds a bright bright future for this team.

Blog from the man:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jakehumphrey/2009/11/farewell_to_a_brilliant_season.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Oh, and while everyone in the known universe pretty much agrees on Legard, the email response I got from the head of BBC sport indicates they're happy enough and Crofty isn't going to get promoted next year. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

They really do a professional job. It is astounding. You log on to their website half way through the GP and they already have photos of the main events up 'till then posted in a gallery.

EJ was a great choice for a pundit. Love the 5live coverage.

Legard comes out with some good statistics but some of them are a bit irrelevant.

EDIT: Also, now I don't need ITV anymore. Never again will I have to watch that crap station. Don't even have it tuned in on SKY anymore. That's a real bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

As good over all as the BBC coverage is, I'd still prefer to listen to Declan Quigley, David Kennedy and Gary Anderson any day of the week. Anderson picks up on things and explains them before the BBC boys have even figured out whats going on. Im also not so fond of the obviously scripted sound bytes the BBC guys come out with from time to time. The first line when they hand over to the commentators is always cringe worthy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I've really liked their coverage. Like every I'm not a fan of Leggard and I think Humphries as done a great job. Always like Brundle on ITV and he's just as good now, if not even better because he seems to get more commentating in. And it's impressive how he has held back from slapping Leggard a few times, you can here in his voice that he really wants to. DC and EJ were a bit off to begin with but they've grown into it, and Humphries is good at calling on them for their different strengths. EJ is bit poor at interviewing, he spends more time telling people his opinion than asking them questions :), but when he's supposed to give opinions he usually has something good to say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement