Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ovi Store

• 01-11-2009 5:24pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Failed to find another thread on this, so said I would start one. Spotted the advertisements overhead for the Nokia Ovi store and signed up. What are peoples thoughts?

For me, not much there that interests me and its very slow to navigate between pages on their website. Not tired the phone version but I assume its similar.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Don't like it at all, fairly boring tbh. Not many decent apps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Certainly not bowled over by it myself. The selection of Apps isn't up to much, but hopefully it will grow over the coming months. I'd assume it's a high priority for Nokia to try and counteract the iPhone App phenomenon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I find it ok to navigate on the phone, but the selection is clearly not as good as the app store. It will take a bit more time for things to improve.

Apple have sold so many handsets which the app store is a big marketing thing for them, and more importantly makes more money than they even imagined it would! Nokia are trying to do the same, but it will take time for the users to get behind it. A lot of nokia phones are bought for calls and texts only, so over time the newer phones will be more dedicated for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

It's pretty poor compared to the iphone apps but hopefully Nokia will catch up. I just got a N97 and I can't find any decent apps for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭cruizer22b

Nokia OVI files is very good. I can view all the files on my computer from my phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

The ovi store is very bad imho. Actually, a couple of days I just deleted the app from my phone.

Main points:
    - 'search' is a catastrophe. Results/No Results seem to be randomly generated. You see, e.g., Gravity trial version on Recommended list. So, I search 'Gravity' to buy full version: results of 'search': Zero! Not even the trial version that I just saw listed!

- redownload! Hello! When you buy an app elsewhere(handango, or straight from the maker) you can usually redownload (after, say, a format/hard reset or firmware update). The better developers like LCG or SPB generate a new reg key when you change phone... Ovi store? Nah...some apps can be redownloaded, others can't, but there's no indication wether you can or can't when you make the purchase. Can't understand how that is even legal?!!!

Nevertheless: in Ovi's defence, it's worth noting that it's not fair to compare it with Apple's iPhone appstore! Just don't!
    Apple's appstore covers 1 phone basically. Ovi has to serve dozens of handsets with various s60 varieties, screen resolutions etc etc...
    As to number of apps:
    Take away the iphone apps that try to make up for one of the many iphone's limitations such as crippled file access/-transfer etc etc... Point being: countless apps in Apple's store are not required for s60 phones cause even the cheapest Nokia does it out of the box. Countless other apps in Apple's store are limited to certain regions/countries and so on. Others require a certain Firmware - so anyone with an unlocked iPhone who rather doesn't want to update and start the jailbreak all over can't use certain apps...

So: I think on can debate how many apps there really are, and how many there are that just try to workaround the iphone's limitations.
    But mainly this: it's easier to market apps for just 1 phone-type...
    Just look at Android: what? 10000 apps.. Well, buy a HTC Tattoo with the 'out-of-the-norm' screen resolution and that number is suddenly down to a couple of hundred!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

strecker wrote: »
    Just look at Android: what? 10000 apps.. Well, buy a HTC Tattoo with the 'out-of-the-norm' screen resolution and that number is suddenly down to a couple of hundred!!! ;)

Just on this note android 2.0 supports scalable graphics. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Just on this note android 2.0 supports scalable graphics. :)
    oh, goodie.

Advertisement