Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help forRottweiler dandruff and severe moulting

Options
  • 01-11-2009 5:35pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

Need a little help. I have a three year old Rottweiler bitch. She is IKC reg, microchipped, fully vaccinated and lovingly cared for. Regulr vet appointments, no expense spared.

Recently my next door neighbour has been doing some work on his property and accidentally knocked some of the fencing between gardens down. He said he is erecting a new fence and he would be glad to cover the cost of fencing the divide between our houses but it would take a while to get done. I have 2 acres the dogs normally run around during the day aswell as a 9x6mtr dog run, fenced in with concrete kennel (fully insulated). Problem is the fence was part of the dog run, so if i let the dogs out they escape. I'm in an isolated rural area so if they get loose it could be days before i find them so i'm keeping them in until the fence is done.

In the meantime i let the dogs out for toilet breaks or if i'm out with them then back into the house. My Rottweiler has developed severe moulting and in the last two days a small amount of dandruff/dry skin. I have read that fish oil capsules can be a solution and was wondering if anyone had any similar problems and if so what products did they give their dog. This is the first time this has happened. I have a Jack Russel also but he is not suffering the same condition. She is not scrathing its just the hair loss is worrying and annoyingly messy. I was hoping being back outdoors would clear it up but that won't be for another couple of weeks.

Any advice or brand names would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

If she is scratching along with the moulting and dandruff it could be an allergic reaction to either something she is eating or something in her environment. If an allergy is the reason nothing added to her diet will do her any good she will have to see a vet for tablets, medicated shampoo etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As mentioned she is not scratching. Her diet and all environmentals have not changed. Personally i think its just her being indoors for the last week. She was nearly always outside throughout the day until the fence got knocked down. I'm sure if she was back outside she would eventually come right but as i cannot do this for a couple more weeks i was looking for oils or supplements that i could add to her food while she remains indoors.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hi, she could just be moulting as its that time of the year and once the weather starts to change you will notice that they will start to lose their coat.

I feed my rottie pure salmon oil as its great for their coat and helps dry skin too.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

ezridax wrote: »
    As mentioned she is not scratching. Her diet and all environmentals have not changed. Personally i think its just her being indoors for the last week. She was nearly always outside throughout the day until the fence got knocked down. I'm sure if she was back outside she would eventually come right but as i cannot do this for a couple more weeks i was looking for oils or supplements that i could add to her food while she remains indoors.

Sorry I misread your post I thought you said she was scratching!!!:) In the absence of any scratching I would just add some fish oil or an egg to her food to help her drop her old coat and bring in her new one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

She could just be having her twice yearly shed, because she is outside a lot of the time you may not have realised how bad it is until now. Brush brush brush is all I can say with dealing with the hair, with a dense brissle brush (because she is short haired). This is will also stimulate the skin and help with the flakeyness. Salmon oil or fish oil (not cod liver oil) are great for dealing with dry skin issues, definately worth a try. Good luck! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Thanks everyone for the help. Maybe as you said i haven't noticed the moulting before because she was always outside. Will give the fish oil a try and the occassional egg. As you all know a rottweiler will never refuse food :D

Thanks again all.

Advertisement