Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firewood suppliers and related info

Options
  • 01-11-2009 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭

My missus wants to get firewood delivered in the Galway area. Looking to shop around but don't know where to start and maybe too lazy this afternoon to do anything about it. So in the interest of keeping my fair lady warm this winter - and myself in the good books this evening - can anyone here who buys fire wood give any relevant suggestions etc. regarding good prices etc. etc. etc.

Excuse my laziness, it is just one of those days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

they don't deliver and besides wood aren't cheap but the petrol station in Claregalway sell big bagsof firewood for about a fiver/€7 at most I think. I bought some there last winter anyway and it lasted ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you buy firewood, beware if it comes in non-see-through bags.
    I got a bag like that at a place and there was nice chopped wood on top and just branches underneath. They don't burn as well.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Got Mod permission to post this.

My step-dad-to-be is selling mixed bags of firewood and turf. €3 per 24x18in bag delivered. Says it's good burning stuff.

Drop me a PM if you want his number.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Murphys Fireplaces (I think that that's the name) in Kinvara do firewood, and deliver around the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Thanks guys for your suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

I had this delivered
    http://www.solidfuel.ie/Firewood-Logs-Dry-Ash-p/FIREWOOD-ASH-2M3-CRATE.htm

They say 800 logs per crate so that works out at 42cent per log. Still a bit pricey but the best I came across.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

pencil wrote: »
    I had this delivered
    http://www.solidfuel.ie/Firewood-Logs-Dry-Ash-p/FIREWOOD-ASH-2M3-CRATE.htm

They say 800 logs per crate so that works out at 42cent per log. Still a bit pricey but the best I came across.

Hi Pencil,
    Have you tried any of it yet? I was looking at getting some too but wanted to see how fast it would burn - how many logs approx in a day/night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Hi Pencil,
    Have you tried any of it yet? I was looking at getting some too but wanted to see how fast it would burn - how many logs approx in a day/night.

I'm putting the stove on at about 6pm untill 11pm.

Using a small box a night... maybe 8-10 logs. I've only recently got the stove.... It seems to me that I'm going through a lot more logs that I was told to expect by the stove sales guys???

One thing about the logs I got delivered half of them are quite thin, the thin ones burn away in no time, the larger logs last ages 1+hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 hiagain

Hi there,

Does anyone know where I'd get firewood in the city centre? Seems like a fairly eco-friendly way of home heating, but I can only get kindling in supervalu.

• Advertisement

I got a delivery of wood from this crowd a couple of weeks ago and we are delighted with it. Not sure if this is what you are looking for but if you have the space to store it it is much better value than paying 6.50 per bag elsewhere.

http://www.galwayfirewood.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Ted10

How much was it ?

€200 plus Vat for 7m wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

Have you burned any of it yet - is it seasoned/dry hard/softwood? I take it you mean 7 cubic meters. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

That pallet of wood seems very very expensive.

This is what I got for €300 a mix of Wood and Turf. I could of easily got the same size load for solely turn or wood.

It's about 4ft deep into the wall

Turf.jpg

But the trick is to get it before you need it as you'll get the best deal. Got mine about 2 months ago. Always plenty of adds in te advertiser but you have to shop around and call them on prices. If your getting 20bags or more I would not be paying more than 3.50 a bag.

A lot of chancers out there ... last year a guy quoted my 7euro a bag of wood. I questioned him and all he could say is that was what the garages were charging :rolleyes: I sent him on his merry way :D

MaxFlower wrote: »
    Have you burned any of it yet - is it seasoned/dry hard/softwood? I take it you mean 7 cubic meters. Thanks

Softwood but burns well and fast, little ash out of it and the customary crackles. We use about 3 briquettes a day with it as the wood does not tend to leave any bed of cinders etc. Plenty of ours got wet with the recent weather but still no problem burning, so they are nicely dried out. The sweepings of the bark after we had stacked it left us a couple bags of great kindling, so no firelighters needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭North&South

Well, that's it... I'm not moaning about the price of our peat ever again!!

In the winter, we get 2 trailers of peat in for the year - one trailer is 350 euros - that's the going rate - and is HUGE! The delivery fills one side of our hayshed, a space of 20ft by 25ft... and the pile is taller than me... takes us 12 weeks approx to use that lot & the 2nd trailer will take us through the rest of the year, together with wood that we have from the gardens & the woods next door.

We don't have oil, so we rely on solid fuel - have had to resort to topping the stove up with a bit of coal each day, because the peat didn't have a good chance of drying this year... even so, because it works our direct heat, cooking, 8 radiators & copious amounts of hot water, our leccy bills are low, so there's a bonus ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Got Mod permission to post this.

My step-dad-to-be is selling mixed bags of firewood and turf. €3 per 24x18in bag delivered. Says it's good burning stuff.

Drop me a PM if you want his number.

Hi Das Kitty, what type of wood is he selling? is it hardwood or soft wood?

also does he sell timber and turf separately, if so how much are they for a bag?

Brembo26

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

is it 7 cubic meters?

brembo26

brembo26 wrote: »
    is it 7 cubic meters?

brembo26

Yep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

brembo26 wrote: »
    is it 7 cubic meters?

brembo26
    Yep.

No its not. I got it and its somewhere between 4 and 5 cubic meters (4.5 by a quick calc when the guy arrived.
    Its still reasonable value but just not what was advertised

MaxFlower wrote: »
    No its not. I got it and its somewhere between 4 and 5 cubic meters (4.5 by a quick calc when the guy arrived.
    Its still reasonable value but just not what was advertised

Um, no. I received roughly 7 cubic meters, just over 6.6 by my very rough measurements if I remember correctly.

Advertisement