Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Organised Birthday Parties,Yay or Nay?

• 01-11-2009 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭

Ive always been curious about this one,the gents on here,have you,or would you organise a birthday party for yourself?I obviously mean the societal landmark birthdays,ie 21st,30th,40th, etc.

Personally speaking,I never have and never will.My 21st consisted of going for dinner with my folks then going on the lash with friends,30th was something similar.I dont like being the centre of attention so thats probably something to do with it plus I would feel really awkward sending out personalised invites to people because the onus is then on them to give a present.21st's get a pass as you are still somewhat youthful but a 30 year old man,organizing a party for himself is,to me anyway,a bit lame.

What are your own thoughts on the subject?

As always,the ladies input is more than welcome.
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I TRIED to organinse my own 21st. My plans for the perfect celibration was a couple of pints in the local with the then GF, a nice meal, an evening in a club, a nightcap, a snuggle in bed. I had been planning it for weeks, looking forward to it for months...
    Then some fupping dongleberry organised a supprise party for me.
    Hated it, ruined my 21st and I've never forgiven him.
    I loath parties in my honour and have always avoided them. He knew this and he still went ahead with a supprise party for me.:mad:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

I don't think it's lame at all! Don't forget the era of handwritten invites is long gone - that takes some of the lameness out of it I reckon! I'd probably raise an eyebrow at a paper invite coming in the door about a friend's bday party (male or female), I'd think it was very formal! But if I got a facebook invite or an email invite to a party, I wouldn't bat an eyelid.

It's very easy to organise these events casually - I'm a master at this, cos my birthday is on Christmas Eve and the likelihood of anyone ever thinking to organise something in my honour at that time of year is slim to none! *world's smallest violin* :P I tend to try to do something small in Dublin the week before, or something at home in Donegal on the night itself - the former I'd organise on Facebook, the latter I'd do by text. This is just regular birthdays as well... I did have a big proper 21st that I organised myself and that was the whole paper invites, family, food, dj malarkey.

It's definitely becoming more common. Do it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I've always organised my own parties, it's my party and I'll have it my way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i'll be acheiving a "landmark" age next year and have heard talk of parties etc to celebrate this. Like OG I've always avoided events like this and I've made it very clear that I'll be avoiding this one too.

Mrs MM has been warned as have any friends. I'm just not and never have been into celebrating birthdays. It's a little weird, if I'm honest. The day just passes me by and I never am bothered by it. I think I was the only kid in my class/group who never had a birthday party. Purely because I never wanted one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I don't like parties, and most certainly would not organise one myself.

I would be too afraid feck all people will show up.

For my 18th (3 weeks before leaving cert) Literally 5 friends showed up, the rest was family.

Some of my Best friends didn't come because they were "studying". Thinking back I hated it although at the time I was locked.

So for my 21st next year, no matter how much my parents want me to have one, It will be text/facebook invites saying I'm drinking in a particular bar, no food, no family, no nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I dont think I've done a party since I was around 9/10 - I just done like them. Even "landmark" birthdays like the 21st consisted of a meal with the family/GF then out for a few drinks with the lads.

I dont like parties at all really, not my thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

50 next April. :)

And in a word, NO. No ****ing way. Never in a million years. I hate parties. Especially if I'm the subject of it. It'll be bad enough getting married in December. A fiftieth birthday party, with lots of people I don't even like? No way.

So that would be a quiet, undemonstrative no from me, then. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I'm sure the rest of the Gentlemen in the Club will be joining me in wishing you the heartiest congratulations on the wedding Pherek. Hope everything goes to plan. Perhaps a Gentlemanly snifter or two might be quaffed in your honour. :)

Reading back on my own earlier post it does come across that I'm a bit or a sourpuss. Not true. I love parties, organised, supprise, inpromptu, small, HUGE or whatever. It's just when I'm the reason for the party that I dislike them. It's not that I'm self-effacing but I always feel that I'm under scrutiny and must be on best behaviour. I feel strangled and stiffled and just 'Not Me'.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I wasn't keen on having a 21st birthday party, didn't want to be the centre of attention and all that, but everyone was sort of expecting me to have one. So I let my family organise a big party for me and, I have to say, I really enjoyed it.

Got loads of birthday cards as well ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Me and my boyfriend actually have the same date of birth so we did a joint 21st birthday party. Neither of us ever really have parties but I really wanted one because I didn't really have an 18th and I wanted at least one really good one. I was always worried that no one would show up but because we were having it together, there was plenty of people. We didn't do much, it was just drinks and finger food in a bar followed by clubbing but loads have people have said it was one of the best 21sts. Joint parties ftw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

I wouldn't have a problem with someone organising their own party, each to their own like. But I wouldn't organise a party for myself. I'm perfectly happy headin to the pub and then a club with a few mates. Also, I'm terrible at organising stuff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Not a party person myself. For my 21st my mother paid for a minibus for me and a group of friends to head off for a night. People were under no obligation to go but loads went as it was not your usual sitting in a pub with loads of people you see for "big" occassions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Hi Folks.

I pretty much organised my stag in August of this year, as my best man/ bro is working on his masters. (Its due in 3 days, 17/11/2009, best of luck Gav :))

Anyhoo, it was ace!

I organised exactly what I wanted, all the boys, BBQ, meat cooked and supplied by this top bloke http://thegoodelifefoodcompany.com/

It was the best shindig I could ever have wanted!!!!!:D

If I can ever organise one half as good again I be a happy man!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

OldGoat wrote: »
    I loath parties in my honour and have always avoided them.
    I'm the same! My parents wanted to organize 18th/21st birthday parties for me, and I told them in no-uncertain terms that I didn't want one (both times!!!) and yet they were still starting to organize one, and I had to pull my dad to one side and tell him that I did NOT want a party. They thought I was just saying it and would then be disappointed at not having one, so I told him that if they led me into some room with a party in it for me, I would turn on my heel and walk out. THAT is how much I didn't want one. They listened then :D

30th coming up... I'll be sure they ALL know that I DO NOT want a party!!!
    shellyboo wrote: »
    ... cos my birthday is on Christmas Eve
    Forgot about that!!! :eek: And sure mine is the day after!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Forgot about that!!! :eek: And sure mine is the day after!!!

McBrides for a pint after midnight mass to celebrate both? :P

Advertisement