Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Websites

• 01-11-2009 7:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what hosts are you all using for your websites?

I was previously with godaddy and had problems with slow loading for people.. I have some money sitting around and wouldn't mind getting the site back up but under a different host..

Just looking for the best value for money really..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I use siteground.com. I find them just great, especially for the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I use me :D I co-run a reseller service so not sure what the market's like as I haven't been in it for a while. I would have recommended lesthost previously but have been hearing a bit of negative stuff about them recently. Blacknight? I think a few people round these parts run with them? I'd be going with an Irish provider anyway - at least the customer support is in your timezone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Thanks guys, yeah I was looking on the Blacknight website €70 is the cheapest they have including domain.

I should have mentioned I was looking for an Irish host as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

My broadband is with Digiweb so I get free hosting with them, I've found them top class and would have no hesitation about recommending them to anybody, for €40 PA the advanced linux package seems great value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Its only €60 for that one which is a bit better..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I was with Siteground and moved to Blacknight. I just got fed up trying to contact support on SG and went off in a huff. But as Paul says in fairness they are OK. I find BK a bit stuttery to be honest. All this week it was slow, 7-15 seconds to connect to my site. It suddenly improved though so will bear with them. It's nice to be able to pick up the phone and talk to a (very helpfull) human.

Hosting is working out at around €40 a year plus domain registration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

nilhg wrote: »
    My broadband is with Digiweb so I get free hosting with them, I've found them top class and would have no hesitation about recommending them to anybody, for €40 PA the advanced linux package seems great value.

Eh for broadband I don't think so - I got rid of them like a bad habit - glad you haven't had any trouble like me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Letshost and never a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

mrboswell wrote: »
    Eh for broadband I don't think so - I got rid of them like a bad habit - glad you haven't had any trouble like me...

Well mine is bitstream DSL, been rock solid for a couple of years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 henna

Letshost as well with very good technical support when needed. :):)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Used to be with godaddy.com...again also found them slow but they were cheap.

I now host with blacknight.ie, can't fault them and have found support fine (certainly not scripted...they know what they are talking about)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

henna wrote: »
    Letshost as well with very good technical support when needed. :):)

After seeing crap like this I don't know how much I'd go with them
    http://www.cabaal.org/log/2008/02/say-bad-things-about-letshostie-and-get.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I've dealt with a good few hosts when I did web design but have found Blacknight the best to deal with. Hosting365 used to be good before they got taken over last year. I had about 5/10 sites with them but their support was terrible. I've moved everything over to Blacknight and they've always been fairly good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Have mine with the guys at http://www.ctsolutions.ie/website/ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Hou1ie

I used hosting365 for my first site (www.jmphotography.ie). I've heard that their support has gotten worse recently but I have to say that I had no problems with them. YMMV....

(first time post so apologies if it appears skaw-ways)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

I've had dealings with BlackKnight and as said before - Friendly, knowledgeable service.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I have accounts with hosting 365 and their service has definitely gone downhill since they merged with some UK crowd.

I also have one new site with Blacknight and I had some difficulties in getting it working (all my own fault). However their support was second to none and they had me up and running in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

1&1/Wordpress 2.8, hosted from the US on Linux. I forget the cost, but including the domains it was all fairly reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

have / had (hosting / customers hosting) with ...

blacknight
    hosting365
    dreamhost
    letshost
    hostireland
    uk2
    1and1

and so on :D

Of all them I'd be recommending Blacknight ...

Main complaint I've heard about Blacknight is their hosting panel can be a bit funny at times (but then I know from dreamhost custom / cpanel / hsphere / plesk ... that I've had issues with them all at one stage or another )

(disclaimer: I've done bits and pieces of work for them as well ... and host majority of my sites / customer sites with them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

Can I ask....

Are you all hosting on Linux packages ar are there any Windows people here?

I have hosted Wordpress on a Windows package with hosting365 and it was problematic. They moved me to Linux and all seemed ok but I dont like the minimalist control panel and having to deal with file / folder permissions etc

So is linux way better than windows? What do you host on?

• Advertisement

dnme wrote: »
    Can I ask....

Are you all hosting on Linux packages ar are there any Windows people here?

I have hosted Wordpress on a Windows package with hosting365 and it was problematic. They moved me to Linux and all seemed ok but I dont like the minimalist control panel and having to deal with file / folder permissions etc

So is linux way better than windows? What do you host on?

I'm running linux for all my hosting packages ...

some issues with wordpress on windows hosting and the various plugins from time to time and I prefer modrewrite on linux to the IIS alternatives

Also I'm using a mac so I prefer the filesystem on Macs / Linux

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

digiweb and blacknight here.

i host on linux for three reasons.

1. it's better
    2. it's cheaper
    3. i don't need windows because i don't build websites using microsoft technologies

i host on linux for three reasons.

1. it's better
    2. it's cheaper
    3. i don't need windows because i don't build websites using microsoft technologies

I'd probably say ... ask your webdesigner before you splash out on hosting ... various companies prefer asp .. others prefer php (which should work on windows as well) .... yet again if its apps you may get ruby / java / perl / god knows what ...

As to the cheaper ... its never really come into it for me I've not actually checked if its cheaper or not ... as for better . every language has its ups and downs ... similarly operating systems ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yeh sorry should have made it clear, linux is better for me, i'm much more familiar with it's filesystem and structures (have programmed in linux for 5 years now) so it works good for me.

of course windows isn't bad either just purely marmite you love/hate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

the issue I used to have with windows, was they way IIS interprets php as cgi. My php scripts would crash regularly and I would have to raise a support ticket so that they could clear / flush the server. Im wondering if this is common cos I'd like to go back to windows believe it or not

dnme wrote: »
    the issue I used to have with windows, was they way IIS interprets php as cgi. My php scripts would crash regularly and I would have to raise a support ticket so that they could clear / flush the server. Im wondering if this is common cos I'd like to go back to windows believe it or not

Erm that'll be down to how the server is setup I believe .. ??

In terms of SEO (I personally find .htaccess and mod rewrite easier) but no doubt there are easy tutorials on IIS and rewriting urls for SEO (that said I've no yet come across them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Waking-Dreams

I use www.34SP.com - great service and support.

Advertisement