Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negotiating rent rates

Options
  • 01-11-2009 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭

In the current climate and the fact the market is a renters market rather than the..landlords market, is it becoming more normal to negotiate rent, like putting a lower offering on a house.

Anyone any joy with low balling any landlords for respectable studio/bedsit style accomodation? (would be tricky in a house share situation - green eyed monster rearing its head ;))

priced 550 was thinking say 450 for example

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Asked my landlord mid term to lower rent and he did. For the overall monthly price so my housemate and myself both benefited. Know loads of others that have too. Haven't moved in a while though so don't know anything about low balling at negotiation stage though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You are entitled to a rent review once a year (not midterm). Rents are falling- you need to print out comparable properties from the area that you can use to back up your request for a reduction (you shouldn't have any difficulty finding some).

Be reasonable though- and normally your landlord will be reasonable towards you. He/she would rather have a good tenant who takes reasonable care of their property- on a lower rent- than have a vacant property.

Advertisement